Is getting a 3G Ipad worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Foreverrr, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Lgchris

Lgchris
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The 3G version also has the gps chip in it for navigation. I use mine all the time on the road.

2. tigerkraw

tigerkraw
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    We will be getting our first Ipad in December with 3G
    We wanted GPS with our Ipad, and even though we may only use 3g a few hours each month. it will cost us $20 a month prepaid, no fixed contract, so if needed we can quit our 3G provider and just go wireless any time we want.

3. RAC

RAC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    My objection is, why should I pay for a second HSPDA/GPRS account when I already have one?

My solution, at the moment at least, is to use WMWiFiRouter to connect my iPad to 3G when I need it, via my existing Mobile Phone. It seems to work quite well.

4. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I suppose it's up to your needs. Where I live, work and play, I am surrounded by so much free Wifi that I've never missed not having the 3G model. (Don't need GPS either since the car already has one built-in.)

5. henry2

henry2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    i have the Wifi only model and it does great for all my personal needs when iam traveling or staying in the city ..but it up to you if you want to have it ..

6. Frezing Phoenix

Frezing Phoenix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well it depends on your needs and current tech "lifestyle" With a BlackBerry plan and a data plan for my other Cell coupled with the fact that WiFi is everywhere that I visit I definitely gained by saving $100+ difference between the iPad Hardware and then more $$$ on the Data Plans, but like I said before it depends on your needs. I have a mix of buddies some of whom sprang for the 3G and never used it while others are hardcore users. Anyways hope it helps, good luck.

7. o2sys

o2sys
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    if you are in the US i think 3G ipad is not worth it! All 3G carriers suck here. Its more like Edge just a bit faster.

You are better off with the Wifi version with a mifi device. More reliable carriers this way.

I'm currently using my iphone 4 with MyWi (JB App) to wirelessly tether to my Ipad. Works great except for the crappy AT&T 3G service.

So I plan on getting the Clearwire's ISpot. $25 a month for unlimited 4G, sounds like a good deal to me. This way I will now have 4G on my Ipad & Iphone =)

Of course I will be lowering the iphone's data plan to $15 to upset the monthly cost.

8. hans

hans
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    israel

were can you buy in israel the 3g version?

9. peled

peled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Well You can't I think

I don't think you can buy it in Israel. Mine I got from London..

#19 peled, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  10. ChileRick

ChileRick
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Got mine when they first came out, have NEVER used the 3g, but, we have iPhones if needed when there is no wi-fi. Should'a gone for the extra storage. But, that's just us.