What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Now Have a Big Paperweight

smilepak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates

on my Windows XP machine where I had originally started the update and had problem. Copied the update file to another PC

I copied to a Windows 7 machine.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\AppleComputer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates\

Boot up iTunes and plug in the ipad. It auto start the extraction of the file and update the ipad. Now the iPad is empty like it was brand new. iTune then start recovery process.

Seems to be working nicely so far

drpep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine did exactly the same thing when I tried to update to the 3.2.1 . It was taking hours to back up before the update so I left it running and went to bed. When I got up this morning the iTunes screen said the back up failed and iPad would have to be restored. A picture of the iTunes logo and USB cable was on the iPad. This is on a windows xp pc. I had the option to restore and it did and I had the new update when it was finished with no more problem.

OP
DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The copy of the 3.2.1 firmware your iTunes downloaded is corrupt. Go to
C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

And delete the firmware file that was downloaded. Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet via cable and not wifi if possible and have iTunes download the software again and perform the restore.

Thanks Mike!

Done and in the process of downloading the software again in iTunes. Servers must be overloaded, as it's taking forever and ever just to do the download.

I'll update when finished.

Last edited:

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh, I updated mine overnight but did not turn it on this morning and went to work. I wonder if it will start up when I get home.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Same old same old. Still a brick.

Trying to do it on a different computer to sort out possible USB problems.

Not sure if this is just a Mac fix or not, but mine did the same thing on my MacBook Pro last night. All I did was uninstall iTunes completely from the computer, the library stays in tact, download a fresh iTunes from Apple and reinstall it. Hook the iPad up again. It will ask about doing a restore. Tell it yes. That will probably take care of you. There should be a backup file it saved automatically that will bring information back when you sync again afterwards. You WILL have to reinstall your apps, music and movies, but should be good to go after that.

OP
DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score

A different computer - a laptop on a wireless Internet connection no less - worked. I guess I either have a bad iTune installation or USB problems on my desktop; although it syncs and downloads everything else to the iPad just fine.

It sure is a pain to have to redo everything after a Restore; but at least it's working again.

Thanks for all the helpers here.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

A different computer - a laptop on a wireless Internet connection no less - worked. I guess I either have a bad iTune installation or USB problems on my desktop; although it syncs and downloads everything else to the iPad just fine.

It sure is a pain to have to redo everything after a Restore; but at least it's working again.

Thanks for all the helpers here.

Don't worry about the computers, its something with the iTunes installation. I can tell you that with complete certainty. Still trying to figure out exactly ehat the culprit is on mine but am not putting too mich effort into it since everything is working again.

Glad you're back up and running.

Reaction score
Did the upgrade on a MacBook Pro, went flawlessly. Friend did it on Window7 and it caused him grief but eventually got it to work. Seems to be a USB thing.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Did the upgrade on a MacBook Pro, went flawlessly. Friend did it on Window7 and it caused him grief but eventually got it to work. Seems to be a USB thing.

The problems I had with my iPad and my iPod Touch were both on a MacBook Pro. The tech said the iTunes install was somehow corrupted. They weren't sure exactly how.

OP
DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The problems I had with my iPad and my iPod Touch were both on a MacBook Pro. The tech said the iTunes install was somehow corrupted. They weren't sure exactly how.

The Apple Tech I spoke to also pointed very strongly in the direction of iTunes. He sent me a special link on what to do, as he told me that there's a whole lot more to it than just the iTunes app itself.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

The Apple Tech I spoke to also pointed very strongly in the direction of iTunes. He sent me a special link on what to do, as he told me that there's a whole lot more to it than just the iTunes app itself.

Exactly. It has to do, somehow, with how iTunes is tying into the system completely. To say that program burrows in is an understatement. Despite the periodic complaints I see about Apple, I have to see I have never been anything but pleased with their tech support.

OP
DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Most reactions