What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bug report: Bug in restoring iPad A1673 to factory settings

boblite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to restore my iPad pro model A1673 to original factory settings because I forgot passcode. My attempt at restoring has failed three times now after I carefully followed directions (support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306) each time.

This last time I have documented the steps by writing down each step and taking screen shots. Looks like there's definitely -- yikes ! -- a bug here...

Step 1: Today (June 21 2019) I downloaded and installed and booted the most recent version of iTunes for my Windows 7 computer (iTunes version 12.9.5.7)

Step 2: Plugged the lightning cable into a USB port on my Windows 7 computer without plugging it in to my iPad

Step 3: While holding down the Home button on my iPad I inserted the lightning cable into the USB port of the iPad and held the Home button down until the Recovery Mode screen appeared on the iPad... image of a lightning cable along with an iTunes logo.

Step 4: Step 3 caused a message to appear on my Windows 7 computer, saying: "There is a problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored". I clicked the "Restore" option.

Step 5: There then appeared a page (screenshot 1) with the message: "iPad Recovery Mode: To update without erasing contents click Update. To restore your Ipad its factory settings, click Restore. " I clicked the Restore button

Step 6: There then appeared a page (screenshot 2) with the message "iTunes is downloading the software for this iPad and will restore your iPad when the download is complete". [NOT TRUE: I have been through this rigmarole three times and the procedure has failed to restore the iPad after the download is complete]

Step 7: There then appeared a message (screenshot 3) with the words "iTunes could not connect to the iPad .. because it is locked with a passcode". [WHAT ??? THIS PROCEDURE IS SUPPOSED TO RESET THE iPAD TO FACTORY SETTINGS... BUT IT'S NOW ASKING FOR A PASSCODE !!!! METHINKS THERE IS A -- REGRETTABLE BOOBLE HERE]

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

That’s a very precise description.
If you haven’t done so, send feedback to Apple:
Feedback - iPad - Apple
I’m sure they will want to know about this, and your accurate report will certainly help finding and removing the bug. Maybe they’ll even contact you.

We are not affiliated with Apple, this is a forum discussing iPads and their features.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have forgotten your passcode, you need to put the device into DFU mode, which is deeper than simply restoring.

Here is how.

1. First run iTunes on your computer.
2. Now plug the iPad into your computer with the USB cable.
3. Press and hold down the sleep/wake (power) button and the home button at the same time.
4. Hold them down for 10 seconds.
5. Release the sleep/wake button but continue to hold down the home button for 5 more seconds.
6. The iPad screen will stay black, and iTunes will prompt that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Hope this helps.

OP
B

boblite

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Feedback - iPad - Apple
I’m sure they will want to know about this, and your accurate report will certainly help finding and removing the bug. Maybe they’ll even contact you.

Thanks for the suggestion. Have sent feedback to Apple.

OP
B

boblite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have forgotten your passcode, you need to put the device into DFU mode, which is deeper than simply restoring.

Here is how.

1. First run iTunes on your computer.
2. Now plug the iPad into your computer with the USB cable.
3. Press and hold down the sleep/wake (power) button and the home button at the same time.
4. Hold them down for 10 seconds.
5. Release the sleep/wake button but continue to hold down the home button for 5 more seconds.
6. The iPad screen will stay black, and iTunes will prompt that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Hope this helps.

IT HELPED !! IT WORKED !!!! The furshluginner Apple website instructions were WRONG... Many many thanks. A thousand blessings upon thee !!!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Thanks for the suggestion. Have sent feedback to Apple.
You’re welcome.

Most reactions