I Now Have a Big Paperweight

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by DUTCH VanAtlanta, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Pingles

Pingles
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ugh, I updated mine overnight but did not turn it on this morning and went to work. I wonder if it will start up when I get home.

2. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if this is just a Mac fix or not, but mine did the same thing on my MacBook Pro last night. All I did was uninstall iTunes completely from the computer, the library stays in tact, download a fresh iTunes from Apple and reinstall it. Hook the iPad up again. It will ask about doing a restore. Tell it yes. That will probably take care of you. There should be a backup file it saved automatically that will bring information back when you sync again afterwards. You WILL have to reinstall your apps, music and movies, but should be good to go after that.

3. DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    A different computer - a laptop on a wireless Internet connection no less - worked. I guess I either have a bad iTune installation or USB problems on my desktop; although it syncs and downloads everything else to the iPad just fine.

It sure is a pain to have to redo everything after a Restore; but at least it's working again.

Thanks for all the helpers here.

4. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry about the computers, its something with the iTunes installation. I can tell you that with complete certainty. Still trying to figure out exactly ehat the culprit is on mine but am not putting too mich effort into it since everything is working again.

Glad you're back up and running.

5. Blueroomelectronics

Blueroomelectronics
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Did the upgrade on a MacBook Pro, went flawlessly. Friend did it on Window7 and it caused him grief but eventually got it to work. Seems to be a USB thing.

6. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The problems I had with my iPad and my iPod Touch were both on a MacBook Pro. The tech said the iTunes install was somehow corrupted. They weren't sure exactly how.

7. DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The Apple Tech I spoke to also pointed very strongly in the direction of iTunes. He sent me a special link on what to do, as he told me that there's a whole lot more to it than just the iTunes app itself.

8. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. It has to do, somehow, with how iTunes is tying into the system completely. To say that program burrows in is an understatement. Despite the periodic complaints I see about Apple, I have to see I have never been anything but pleased with their tech support.

9. JLStrange

JLStrange
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Upgraded this afternoon via my Vista based PC with no problems for what that's worth.

10. DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Here's the link the Apple tech sent me. It's pretty interconnected, that's for sure.

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP