What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just cancelled my ipad 2 WIFI order....

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not free, but navigon is a really good Nav app and works without an Internet connection.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my experience using GPS option with a 3G version not connected to a carrier:

GPS works fine when connected to home WiFi, but looses GPS tracking functions when out of home WiFi range.

GPS works good in automobile while 3G iPad is connected to a MiFi, or teathered to a 3G phone, all GPS tracking functions work.

GPS tracking functions do not work if iPad is not connected to a 3/4 G service, Functins do not work on I pad alone.

I understand there are GPS software downloads available allowing you to use GPS functins with a 3G iPad not connected to 3G but requires large data base download on I pad memory. I can't find any of these programs.

This info is how I understand the functions of 3G GPS functions on both iPad and Xoom...if I am incorrect, someone please correct

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my experience using GPS option with a 3G version not connected to a carrier:

GPS works fine when connected to home WiFi, but looses GPS tracking functions when out of home WiFi range.

GPS works good in automobile while 3G iPad is connected to a MiFi, or teathered to a 3G phone, all GPS tracking functions work.

GPS tracking functions do not work if iPad is not connected to a 3/4 G service, Functins do not work on I pad alone.

I understand there are GPS software downloads available allowing you to use GPS functins with a 3G iPad not connected to 3G but requires large data base download on I pad memory. I can't find any of these programs.

This info is how I understand the functions of 3G GPS functions on both iPad and Xoom...if I am incorrect, someone please correct

On the last point you make, either Navigon or TomTom maps will download complete map databases to your iPad so that you can use the GPS function when not in contact with the Internet.

Now - you live in the same town as our US Moderator SweetPoison!! I love Sacramento too!!

Tim
Scotland at the moment

Reaction score
CaptKirk said:

Just to clarify. GPS works independently of Internet, you do not need to be connected to Internet to have gps determine your location. But what happens is, that without the offline maps, the gps is fairly useless, as it can't show you on a map where you are.

Take a look at
-Navfree
-You Need a Map

both are free apps, which store the maps offline.

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
Tethering works just fine to my Rooted DroidX also (using free wireless tether), but I still bought the 3G for two reasons

1. I'm not sure I will always have the phone

2. The 3G model includes gps (which I don't need right now, but may at some time in the future)

~John

GPS is a nice to have but at the bottom of my list as I have free google gps on the desire a Tom Tom and may car has inbuilt sat nav.

Just out of interest, what 3G plans do you all have with your iPad?

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GPS is a nice to have but at the bottom of my list as I have free google gps on the desire a Tom Tom and may car has inbuilt sat nav.

Just out of interest, what 3G plans do you all have with your iPad?

Same here, I have free google GPS in my DroidX, a couple of garmin units and an awesome double din NAV unit in/dash in my truck but I still like playing with NAV in the ipad2 and that awesome screen.

I have the att model

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score

On the last point you make, either Navigon or TomTom maps will download complete map databases to your iPad so that you can use the GPS function when not in contact with the Internet.

Now - you live in the same town as our US Moderator SweetPoison!! I love Sacramento too!!

Tim
Scotland at the moment
CoPilot also stores all of its maps in the iPad, and I believe it's priced quite a bit less than Navigon. I haven't used Navigon, so I have no reference for it, but, while CoPilot is a pretty decent program, it does not, IMO, compare to Garmin stains-alone GPS units that I have used. Unfortunately, Garmin has chosen to steam maps to its iPad app, so I haven't tried it, either.

Most reactions

Latest posts