What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS software not working on ipad 2

asdf523

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 2 with 64 gb, wifi and 3g with verizon as the carrier. The thing is... I have never activated the 3g data plan and have only used it wirelessly. I used to have it rooted and even though the 3g part of it was not active, any number of gps programs worked fine. I have recently had to go back to factory defaults so the ipad is no longer rooted. Today I noted that the gps software no longer works. In other words it no longer connects and is able to be used in navigation mode.

Why did the gps software work before and not now? What would rooting have to do with whether or not the navigation software connects? Very perplexing.

Any ideas?

OP
A

asdf523

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I got my android terminology mixed up with iPad. What I meant to say was that my iPad used to
O be jail broken. Could it be the upgrade to 5.1.1 has anything to do with it?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
asdf523 said:

Sorry, asdf523, that no one has responded. Hopefully some of our more knowledgeable folks will see this thread and reply back. I'm just replying to keep your thread alive.

NEOBAHAMUT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

You may upgrade your ipad 2 version 5.1.1. There is a jailbreak out for that. It works flawlessly and is so easy to do. Just download Absinthe from Greenpois0n.com. Anyway regarding the GPS im not 100% and im sure someone will correct me. Your iPad does has GPS installed in it. It should work even without the "dataplan" being activated. The GPS is just a chip inside the iPad. I would definitely recommend upgrading your ipad to the latest version of firmware and then trying one of the GPS apps out there. The TomTom app is brilliant. If it still doesn't work i'd consider taking it to apple to see what the problem is.

dynax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check to see if you have location service turned on.

Most reactions