What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remote control an IPAD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookekeefer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
according to Apple, any bluetooth keyboard can connect and control the iPad.:rolleyes:

schmuel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Movie Remote Kids will allow 1 IOS device to control movies running on another IOS device. I can control what movie runs, the volume and even the place in the movie on an ipad from my iphone. The device that is being controlled becomes a passive display. I believe the app is $3 and it needs to be installed on both devices (naturally).

HRH_JimBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was searching this question of how to remote control an iPad for the purpose that others have had with using an iPad connected to a stereo to run music and wanting to connect remotely to play, pause, etc. I work in IT at a university and we utilize a system called LANDesk to remotely manage our PCs and Macs on and off campus. I haven't experienced it myself but their recent updates add the management ability for iOS devices along with Android and Blackberry devices. This is for IT management uses, not at-home use.

rsinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My answer to "why" is that my elderly mother, who lives elsewhere, now uses an iPad rather than a PC. On the PC, I helped her frequently by driving her PC remotely using VNC. Despite the fact that the iPad is easier to use, she still needs remote help, and a picture is worth a thousand words. I'd like to have the same ability to operate her iPad (and watch her drive her iPad) as I had with VNC on Windows. I wouldn't mind running the client (on my end) on either a MAC or Windows PC. On her end, I'd need the equivalent of a VNC server and dyndns to keep me posted on her current IP address, which changes at the whim of her ISP.

Surely this is an important problem to solve as people with modest computing needs abandon PCs for iPads.

Thanks for any good solutions.

helnrw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely! I have old parents that can not really handle the iPad properly. It would be very nice to controle it from a PC or even better another iPad !!

ExecTech24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha, I see that I'm not alone. I support the Presidents of each unit of our company. It will be awesome if there was a way to remote in to their iPads. I started a free trial of logmein and you can connect to the iPad & iPhone, BUT
the features are not the same as remoting to the Blackberry. When you connect to Blackberry using logmein, you actually can see the Blackberry and can navigate the screens and apps etc. When you connect the iOS devices it doesn't show the device. It shows some configuration options that appear as if you're supposed to setup policies, email, wifi etc. For instance, there's a checkbox that says "allow youtube videos".

Searching around, I found a company called BOMGAR. I asked to be contacted so we'll see what happens.

revolutionit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is the answer I will give to you all about why I would like to be able to control an ipad remotely. Support, I have a few clients that have ipad that need support once in awhile.

Example:
I have a client who is a lawyer and she is very busy, she doesn't go to the office much for me about be able to set things up for her. I would love to remote into her ipad to setup a VPN connection (PPTP or L2TP) then install an app so she can control her desktop from her ipad. She wants to be able to edit documents and print various documents off the printer.

So it would be a great tool if we can get some developers together to create a remote access tool for the ipad and android platform market. I'm sure whoever develops such app would make a good deal of money. Everyone knows that the tablet (ipad/android) is going to be the future for business. If the support team can not remotely support the end users on such devices this could be costly to the techs and end users.

I hope we could get something developed soon.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Here is the answer I will give to you all about why I would like to be able to control an ipad remotely. Support, I have a few clients that have ipad that need support once in awhile.

Example:
I have a client who is a lawyer and she is very busy, she doesn't go to the office much for me about be able to set things up for her. I would love to remote into her ipad to setup a VPN connection (PPTP or L2TP) then install an app so she can control her desktop from her ipad. She wants to be able to edit documents and print various documents off the printer.

So it would be a great tool if we can get some developers together to create a remote access tool for the ipad and android platform market. I'm sure whoever develops such app would make a good deal of money. Everyone knows that the tablet (ipad/android) is going to be the future for business. If the support team can not remotely support the end users on such devices this could be costly to the techs and end users.

I hope we could get something developed soon.

Not possible. The software just doesn't allow it. Apple would never allow the app in the appstore as it would compromise security of the device

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

lvdo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only way I can think to do that is to take the HDMI output from the iPad, feed it in a video capture card, and share the video feed across the internet. But since I would be looking at this kind of solution to help my 87 year old dad and 80 year old mom, I am not sure this would really be any easier....

rif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not possible. The software just doesn't allow it. Apple would never allow the app in the appstore as it would compromise security of the device
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
I'm looking for a remote control option as well, since I'm not willing to comprimise the security of my VPN by allowing an iPad user to know the passphrase.
Since I can't remote in and type it myself, my iPad users will just continue to be SOL until they learn to buy tablet PCs!

Sonogal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remote for sling player

I am also looking for a remote for iPad- I travel internationally use the sling player ap tp watch my home television, then hook my iPad to television would be nice to be able to control sling player remotely.

kyleblowers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Remote Control

I scanned through this thread and didn't see a similar listing, so forgive if I've overlook it:

Ive been hunting for a small remote control just to control playback on my iPad 2 and this is the nearest I can find online...

It doesnt seem to have a brand name or manufacturer label... but if you just Google "Remote Control For Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod" Amazon has a listing as well as a few other stock sites... via CellPhoneShop.cm

so it's not exactly ideal for me... buuuut it m,ight be for someone... and the people who've left reviews.

Shouldn't the AVRCP Bluetooth profile mean that in addition wireless headphones that would pair with and iPad 2 why couldn't a small remote control pair?? I'm slightly astounded that something so so simple is nearly non-existent. ALthough, I could just not be understanding the technology very well...

barnadu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Likewise, we are looking to buy the new iPad for elderly parents overseas to allow them to FaceTime their grandchildren. But the iidea of supporting them from another continent is a little daunting without a PCAnywhere type support connection - direct iPad to ipad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I realize this isn't really what you are asking for, and it very probably does not apply, but:

If your parents are still mobile enough to commute easily, and there is an Apple Store in reasonable commuting distance then they have good support with a genius appointment. And most stores have training classes as well.

Also, with a new iPad you might consider the new Applecare Plus policy. Besides giving them two years of free tech support (well, you paid for it, not them), they get two replacements for accidental damage for the life of the policy. (with a $49 surcharge).

Sorry for sounding like a commercial; but I wanted to reintroduce the possible in the thread, even it if its a bit OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts