How to remote control an IPAD ?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by jcb, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krewat

krewat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    A bluetooth keyboard would allow you to pause, switch tracks, etc.

As for the actual "support" side of remote-control, I have no clue ;) (yet)

2. VanDyck.Gunther

VanDyck.Gunther
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    you can find Wireless Remote Control for iPad on the website from www+trust+com then Products > Input Devices > Wireless Remote Control for iPad

3. danlaw777

danlaw777
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    OK so I saw a few things in here, so let me answer the "why" i need this part of the question first so as not to confuse anyone.

I am in a tech support role for a major law firm, and recently the attorneys were told to go out and buy an ipad and we'll refund your money, being in tech support, i got 1 too!! (pretty cool perk) Anyways, we have 11 different offices across the nation, and several internation offices as well. FOR ME, it would be much easier and less expensive if i were able to remote in (i.e RDP) into an Ipad to setup and configure our security software, set up their email accounts, and anything else they need. thats the WHY...

but HOW??

I have read thru this post (thanks OP for starting it) and i saw "sandboxing" which i cant remove the box for various security concerns, i saw logmein+mobil which doesnt yet offer this ability, plus a whole lotta nada (that means BS for those of you that arent Marines....)

so let me ask ANOTHER question assuming that someone doesnt come out with what i need tomorrrow....is it possible to create an app that will allow this if someone has the skills to write this kind of app?

4. danlaw777

danlaw777
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    btw, i just got off the phone with logmein and teamviewer and neither of their products will control an iDevice, only the other way around....

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
  6. brookekeefer

brookekeefer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    according to Apple, any bluetooth keyboard can connect and control the iPad.:rolleyes:

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I should have quoted something to show that I was replying to Danlaw777, who wants something a bit more extensive than starting or stoping music playback.

8. schmuel

schmuel
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Movie Remote Kids will allow 1 IOS device to control movies running on another IOS device. I can control what movie runs, the volume and even the place in the movie on an ipad from my iphone. The device that is being controlled becomes a passive display. I believe the app is $3 and it needs to be installed on both devices (naturally).

9. HRH_JimBob

HRH_JimBob
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I was searching this question of how to remote control an iPad for the purpose that others have had with using an iPad connected to a stereo to run music and wanting to connect remotely to play, pause, etc. I work in IT at a university and we utilize a system called LANDesk to remotely manage our PCs and Macs on and off campus. I haven't experienced it myself but their recent updates add the management ability for iOS devices along with Android and Blackberry devices. This is for IT management uses, not at-home use.

10. rsinks

rsinks
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My answer to "why" is that my elderly mother, who lives elsewhere, now uses an iPad rather than a PC. On the PC, I helped her frequently by driving her PC remotely using VNC. Despite the fact that the iPad is easier to use, she still needs remote help, and a picture is worth a thousand words. I'd like to have the same ability to operate her iPad (and watch her drive her iPad) as I had with VNC on Windows. I wouldn't mind running the client (on my end) on either a MAC or Windows PC. On her end, I'd need the equivalent of a VNC server and dyndns to keep me posted on her current IP address, which changes at the whim of her ISP.

Surely this is an important problem to solve as people with modest computing needs abandon PCs for iPads.

Thanks for any good solutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.