What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remote control an IPAD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am used to use remote control tools to get control of PCs and Servers over the Internet, but does anybody knows a similar application available on the App Store to be able to view and get control of an IPAD from a PC ? :ipad-front::)

FileSpnr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not trying to be a smart-alec, but could you please tell me the scenario where you would need to control the ipad remotely. I am very interested to hear why.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm kind of curious about the why myself.

But the short answer is no. It might be possible with a jail-broken iPad, but I can't think of any reason someone would have written this app. An unusual failure of imagination for me.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I had someone ask me this exact same question just the other day. He was thinking of using iPads at a Trade Show to display his company's products and wanted to be able to control all the iPads on his stand from a central PC console so he didn't have to go around setting up each iPad individually. I didn't know the answer to his question (no big surprise there!) but if someone here has got an answer I can go back to him and appear real smart.....

Tim
Scotland

OP
J

jcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

It is frustrating when you know that exits cydia applications which do this. I don t want to put her on the "dark side of the force" as she needs to get helped by Apple's support (she is 80), I am estonished not to find any answers on the regular market ! I tried to look at majors as Teamviewer etc. but no solutions either !

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the problem cannot be solved. The iPad has all its apps 'sandboxed' and that means they have very limited interaction with each other and the operating system, iOS. The upside of this is that it's impossible for an iPad to be 'infected' with a 'virus', the downside is that the sort of interaction you want here is probably impossible. For an iPad app to be able to do this it would have to be able to control the iPad via iOS and I'm pretty sure that iOS does not allow that for fairly obvious reasons - since, if you could 'control' the iPad via iOS you could, in theory, do some pretty unpleasant things, if you were so inclined.

So my suspicion is that this will never be possible....at least, not without jail breaking - where you 'break' the ability of the OS to exert its (benevolent) control over the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
J

jcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not trying to be a smart-alec, but could you please tell me the scenario where you would need to control the ipad remotely. I am very interested to hear why.
It is amazing how the simpliest question could be difficult to answer when you do not see what is going on really on the screen and what effectively the user is doing or has done on his IPAD. Try just to figure out to solve a simple question as : "I cannot hear the music, why ? " and try to make understand a user (even less than 80 years old which is my case) of what you expect him to do or to see.
Then, I am pretty sure that you'll better understand the why.

mrhodes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Replicate For IPad- Have not used but may work

I am also amazed at ...
1. How quick questions often get 'answered' with someone questioning why you would ever want to do that - or that there is no reason to want to do that - I actually came across this same question without any actual current issue or need - I am just looking into the possibilities and limitations of iPads. - that said ...
2. How anyone could question the need for this application - iPads are making there way into schools and enterprises (i.e. managed networks) - the use of remote access for management and support is an easy concept to imagine. - @Tim, I hope you are wrong. **Please hear me Mac**- If I am going to manage and support 500 students and teachers using these on our k-8 campus, I need a way to see the screens remotely.

Anyways, Replicate For IPad - I haven't tried it personnaly just read their product description, but it looks like it may do what you are looking for.

(I am not slamming the previous responses - for the most part, they are just discussing the question - but I just read another forum thread on this same question where the same person replied three different times that instead of remoting into the iPad (you) should remotely access the PC from the iPad.)

Last edited:

mrwebslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Q. Why would I want to control my iPad remotely?

A. I use my iPad to play music (with Pandora, Vemo, iTunes) through my stereo which is across the room from my desk. I often use skype to communicate with customers so being able to pause my iPad without having to get up would be invaluable.

vincentsrose

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here is my scenario, I hope this isn't to much of a smart ass answer: I have 16 sales people and one CEO who use iPads for our company. They are located in Kansas, Texas, and all of California. It isn't economical for me to hop on a plane and travel to Kansas or Texas or Northern California when one of the iPads has an issue.

When my bosses iPad has an easy to fix issue at 7am on a Saturday I'd like to do it remotely in my pajamas instead getting dressed and driving to his house because he can't describe the problem over the phone.

I hope this helps to describe scenario's where a Systems Administrator might need to remote in and control an iPad.

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to remotely control my iPod while watching Netflix on my big screen TV. Otherwise I would have to use a very long HDMI cable btwn the two.

asatoran

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here is my scenario, I hope this isn't to much of a smart ass answer: I have 16 sales people and one CEO who use iPads for our company. They are located in Kansas, Texas, and all of California. It isn't economical for me to hop on a plane and travel to Kansas or Texas or Northern California when one of the iPads has an issue.

When my bosses iPad has an easy to fix issue at 7am on a Saturday I'd like to do it remotely in my pajamas instead getting dressed and driving to his house because he can't describe the problem over the phone.

I hope this helps to describe scenario's where a Systems Administrator might need to remote in and control an iPad.

If you still need this capability, there is LogMeIn Rescue.

https:// secure.logmeinrescue.com/HelpDesk/MobileSupport.aspx?wt.ac=RescueHomepage-Mobile

It's not cheap, but is designed specifically for the remote support scenario.

PeterBCourt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remote support of an iPad user

I too am astonished how often questions re "How can I do blah" get anwsered by "Why would you want to do that" ?

I have an 81yo somewhat hard of hearing and technically challenged father, whom I've given an ipad to try and help us keep in touch. I desparately want to remote support him. I've had many long difficult phone calls trying to get him to do things that we are just not 'connecting' on.

My entire professional life is remote supporting users and servers, and I have remote tools for other smartphones/pads (eg Windows Mobiles , Android and Blackberry via Logmein etc. )

The lack of such tools in iPhones/iPads is a major stumbling block. And I dont want to start jailbreaking stuff for remote users.

Replicate for iPad and Pro, seem complex for the basic function, but are also limited to supporting an iPad(or iPhone) in the SAME LOCAL WIFI.. No 3G or general internet connections.

This is a major bummer and makes them useless for my purpose (and $6 down the drain for trying one).

The problem seems to be the vice like grip Apple have on the device and apps and their judgement that we cant have such apps cause we dont need them or they are too high a security risk.. Nanny State supreme..

rgds .. Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts