How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Superbike81, Dec 4, 2010.

?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

1. Yes! It will replace my iPad.

22 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

35 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. No! I'll keep my iPad.

119 vote(s)
    52.7%
  4. Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

50 vote(s)
    22.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kidtachyon

Kidtachyon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I played with my brother's Galaxy tab and thought it was pretty neat.

Then I went out and bought my ipad!

2. xune

xune
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Apple faithful here. iPad for me!

3. spgary

spgary
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Not so soon. I will not go for anything smaller than 10 inch but will be lookout of something more lighter. I am sure we will get to see great products from iPad itself and from it's competitors . My options are open

4. Bibifrine

Bibifrine
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    had a Androide Tablett Pforte IO got my Ipad

bevor I won this Ipad on a Tombola I had a Android Tablett from Archos and to be honest, I was really happy with it. It could read my Memory Stick and my external HDD, because It has USB Master I was able to transfer the Screen to my Flat TV via HDMI cable in full HD. The android Market is running after a few small tricks. Google Navigator was running with my external BT GPS Mouse.
    BUT
    As I had the new Ipad in my Hand for a few minutes and realized the much better screen and the much more fluid Apps as OS, I imediately decided to use the Ipad instead of the Archos. I stilll think the Archos 10.1 is a wounderfull piece of Hardware, especially for this low price of less than 300 Euros, but the screen and the availability of much better Apps made my decision to move to the Ipad easy.
    Now my 23 year old son is a proud owner of a Archos 10.1.

5. Fotodirk

Fotodirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes but it has drawbacks as well.

First today those who offer memory expansion don't go higher then 32/64 GB at this moment. So you don't get more memory. You can start with less and buy as you grow.

Second this card slot will fail from time to time. I have had such a card slot in a Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, LG and Samsung phone. All have failed at a certain time. After getting the card out and in again they worked again for a period. But I guess this is one of the reasons Apple does not like these expansion slots. It is hard to make them work all of the time.

Then it divides your memory. You will for instance have 16Gb of fixed memory and then another 16 in the expansion slot. This means that you must decide which app/song/movie... will sit in which memory slot. It will also mean that every time you want to use something you might need to select the memory location first.

6. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Let's see... That turns out to $1.56/GB.

I installed a 1TB NAS on my network, that comes down to... $0.15/GB. All my computers have direct access to it's contents.

But keep in mind that the main reason behind space limitation is that indirectly it postpones quick file sharing ie. piracy acts (in Apples view )and second it gives reasons to buy into cloud storage.

7. iceman

iceman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think the whole discussion should be tabled until March or April. By then the iPad 2 will be out plus a whole slew of Android and Windows tablets. 2010 was the year of the iPad, but 2011 will be the year of the tablet!

8. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I understand that you guys like "cloud" storage, but it's not always an attractive option. I can throw a few high quality movies (2-4GB each) and watch them in full quality from anywhere, regardless if I have access to Wi-Fi/3G or not. Even if I did have access to a network, streaming just eats up the battery even faster than reading from an SD port.

It might be $1.56/GB for that SD card, but Apple charges $3/GB for that same amount of memory. So with true memory expansion access, you could expand the memory for significantly cheaper than Apple charges.

The other option which is even cheaper, but will eat up the battery quicker, is to buy a USB-powered external hard drive and stream from that, another thing the iPad won't let us do.

For the guy who said he had SD slots fail on him......you must have terrible luck. I've still got 7 year old laptops and 5 year old cell phones that the SD port still works on. Never had one fail on me, nor have I had a SD memory stick fail either.

9. Technician99

Technician99
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    But keep in mind that the main reason behind space limitation is that indirectly it postpones quick file sharing ie. piracy acts (in Apples view )and second it gives reasons to buy into cloud storage. The only thing Apple is worried about is having people not buy movies from them. For the same reason they refuse to run Flash. I think in time I will drop the iPad and go with the Android Tablets. Same thing happened with the iPhone, enough Android devices were released that are better than the iPhone. I stopped using the iPhone and went to Android ... not looking back.

10. wrecklass

wrecklass
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to think of a reason that small storage capacity "postpones quick file sharing." In fact I don't really see the correlation between storage size and file sharing, at whatever speed. Apple's proprietary file system seems to complicate file sharing for iOS devices, but that has nothing to do with how much storage the device has. My 64GB iPad won't share files any quicker than my wife's 16GB model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.