What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kezug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well to be fair iOS is a VERY simple piece of software compared to Windows or OSX.

True...and sometimes simple IS better!

For example, I have had the iPad for a week now. I have NOT had to support my family in using this device so far. I am certain with a windows laptop, I would have.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, not much support is needed for such a simple (limited) device. That can be a good thing in some cases, but not all.

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tested the galaxy tab, but it feels like a toy besides my ipad.
I didnt see any advantage there...

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plenty of advantages to the Galaxy Tab that can't be seen in the simple quick test. I wouldn't buy one, just because it's horribly overpriced for a 7" tablet. But I still say even the current Android OS has several advantages compare to iOS.

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a droix and love it for my smartphone. I tried to find an android tablet I could purchase but felt none of them were ready for prime time yet, so since I couldn't find onei thought I wanted I purchased the iPad of which I love. For meth iPad does every thing I want or need and then some. I doubt whether a new android tablet or iPad would convince me to purchase another one. My iPad would probably need to wear out before I purchase anything else.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think for me it comes down to the fact that I am a tinkerer. I modify cars, motorcycles, computers, smartphones, and pretty much everything else. If you can accept not personalizing your tablet or smartphone then iOS is for you. But if you like making things unique and personal to reflect your own personality Android OS is for you.

Last edited:

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will not consider anymore mobile OS tablets although I like my iPad. I want a full MacOS tablet.

That is my wish also, a MacBook Air with a iPad screen that flips around. So it is either a laptop or an iPad depending on your need.

Or maybe even a detachable iPad screen.

MacOS in laptop mode, iPad OS in tablet mode

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In and of itself, I can see wanting a full MacOS tablet. But then there goes the battery life, and not being able to leave it on standby for instant on, for me the two features that I find awesome. But hmmmm, dual OS sort of thing-what an interesting idea.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about.

Here we have a stock Android 2.1 and 2.2.

Froyo_1.jpg

Here we have my screen (Android 2.2 with a couple simple downloaded apps to modify the layout and widgets).

sc20101231232659.png

With these widgets, I can simply tap on the time on the screen and it opens my clock/alarm app, or tap on the weather cloud and it opens up the local weather, tapping on the date opens up my calendar app. I can turn on/off Wi-Fi, GPS, quickly adjust brightness with a single tap, or do many other things that the phone originally didn't do. My next screen over has a widget with my most used contacts, has a nice little picture of each of the 12 people I selected, and a simple tap on their picture brings up a small menu to call, e-mail, text message, or go into their contact information. Or I can go down to my little Google icon, tap the microphone, and say what I want to search for, or type in manually on my custom predictive text keyboard. I can scroll my little icons at the bottom over to reveal more icons without scrolling the entire screen over. I can custom program different finger swipe commands to open apps, or make my home button do different things. It's so versatile it's amazing, I can make it do pretty much anything I want (within reason) to fit my style and what I'm comfortable with. Oh, and as with most Android versions, you can drag the top menu down to reveal notifications for things like e-mail, facebook, downloaded files, installed apps, and other updates.

There are literally thousands of different things you can do to customize the user interface of Android, all without having to jailbreak or root the device. These things simply can't be done on the iPad or iPhone, even with jailbreaking, the modifications available are nowhere near as in depth. The screenshot of my setup is only one of several setups I can quickly change around just based on how I feel that particular day, it's very simple to do.

You can truly be unique with an Android device, where pretty much all iOS devices end up looking exactly the same. Even jailbroken devices don't end up looking that much different from usual. I know the iOS devices are very smooth and predictable, but I just don't see how anyone could not want to at least consider an Android device with all you can do with them. You just have to carefully pick one, and don't expect to spend $150 on one and have a great experience. Do some research, buy one from a well known company so you know it will be supported by future updates.

Just my opinion, but I think Android is catching on pretty quickly.

Last edited:
OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In and of itself, I can see wanting a full MacOS tablet. But then there goes the battery life, and not being able to leave it on standby for instant on, for me the two features that I find awesome. But hmmmm, dual OS sort of thing-what an interesting idea.

I wouldn't say it would be a total loss of battery life. My mid-2010 model MacBook Pro 13" lasts 9 hours doing simple word processing and web browsing. Granted, things like video tax the battery down to about 5 hours. But I think with an optimized tablet setup, OSX could do very well.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Why wouldn't you be able to leave it on standby for instant on? The newer computers get, the better the standby feature gets. My core i5 Windows 7 systems goes from full standby (you wouldn't even know it is powered on) to ready for use in less time than it takes me to sit in my chair. In standby mode the power use is almost zero. There is no reason a tablet based system with a modern OS cannot achieve the same thing.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, now with most laptop computers, you can leave them in sleep mode and have VERY LITTLE battery drain, maybe 10% or less for an entire 24hr period in sleep. I rarely turn my MacBook Pro off, and it's instant on is actually faster than the iPad.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not after having my POS droid for the past year! I don't ever want anything android again. Even my google tv pisses me off quite often with it's slowdown and instability.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, now with most laptop computers, you can leave them in sleep mode and have VERY LITTLE battery drain, maybe 10% or less for an entire 24hr period in sleep. I rarely turn my MacBook Pro off, and it's instant on is actually faster than the iPad.

Somehow I doubt it's faster. I never turn my 8 core mac pro off and it takes longer it wake it up than my iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts