What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing that takes longer is physically having to flip up the LCD screen. But putting my laptop to sleep mode and then hitting the space bar to wake it up, it's ready quicker than it takes me to hit the home button and swipe the unlock slider. Would you like me to upload a YouTube video later showing it?

You can have 200 cores and it won't make things boot any faster. What speed hard drive is in your laptop? I've upgraded mine to an Intel SSD. My MacBook boots from off faster than the iPad boots from off as well. Opens apps faster (Word vs Pages) and the battery lasts about 9 hours of web use and word processing (although video playback is about 1/3rd the battery life of the iPad).

What problems are you having with your Droid exactly? But yes, the Droid is a pretty shitty phone overall, just like many of the Android tablets are shitty, you can't use those to pass judgement on the good products. That's like using one of those free PeoplePC's and then saying that it performed horribly so you never want another Windows computer again.

Last edited:
OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly 24hrs from now, Asus should be announcing their upcoming tablets at CES.

I am really looking forward to CES, as it will give me a good reason to give the iPad to my wife, dad, or sister, or sell it if none of them want it. I'm particularly looking forward to the Motorola dual core Honeycomb tablet. Should be an interesting next few days with all kinds of cool new stuff being announced.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not after having my POS droid for the past year! I don't ever want anything android again. Even my google tv pisses me off quite often with it's slowdown and instability.

Lol. Your 1.5 year old phone? Also, what makes it a POS? You run 30 widgets and live wallpaper and then wonder why its slow with bad battery life?

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yes, it's on now..... the iPad getting some real competition now:

Hands On: Toshiba to Announce Android Tablet at CES 2011 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Toshiba has announced a 10.1" Honeycomb tablet today before CES starts. Features:

Dual-Core Tegra 2 Processor (better than iPad)
1280x800 resolution (better than iPad)
HDMI out, USB 2.0, mini-USB, SD
2MP front facing camera, 5mp regular camera that supports pictures and HD video
1.7lbs (0.1lbs heavier than iPad)
User replaceable back cover for different custom covers
User replaceable battery
"Competitive" with iPad price (whatever that means)
Haptic feedback keypad (you feel a little vibration when you type)

Apple better bring up the specs significantly on the iPad 2 if they hope to compete with these significantly more powerful tablets.

Last edited:

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would LOVE an Android Tablet. However after getting then returning a Samsung Galaxy Tab for various reasons I will wait and see. I will still keep my iPad for backup though.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android > iOS

Now I will def get a android tablet and most def a playbook. I love the iPad. but no means is it perfect. Like stated before the iPad NEEDS another computer to function it's not a stand alone device. The only thing that gets me is that everyone is quick to point flaws out about android and "Choose" not to see the iOS problems. BUT we all still love it either way! Just because I get an android tablet docent mean I need to get rid of my ipad the both have qualities over each other. Android market IS and will continue getting better as time goes on, MORE and MORE iOS developers will make apps for windows phone 7, BB, and Android, so the apps will come to android. All that matter to developers is MONEY and the App Store is king at that.

Other than that I am very eager too see what apple answers with within the iPad 2. I plan on getting the best of each world lol

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Galaxy Tab is literally a jumbo sized Galaxy S phone, even more than the iPad is an oversized iPod Touch. The Galaxy S might have sold a decent amount, but I think that's just the people who were looking for an immediate alternative to the iPad.

The new Android tablets will be nothing like the Galaxy Tab, they will run an optimized operating system, be much more powerful, and more refined with even more features.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I completely agree and I know that the galaxy tab is just literately the phone os blown up.

I can't wait for the great ones to come out!

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android has a long way to go because its so fragmented. I'll wait another year but it just seems google likes playing catch up. Galaxy tab is worth 250 to me no more, ipad is worth 400.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android has a long way to go because its so fragmented. I'll wait another year but it just seems google likes playing catch up. Galaxy tab is worth 250 to me no more, ipad is worth 400.

Thats just a word Apple fans use to compensate for where iOS falls completely short. Fragmentation means user choice. Also, a VAST majority of consumers don't care/know about what OS version of Android their phone is running. Fragmentation is only an issue for extremely tech savvy power users who want the latest and greatest as soon as its out, and XDA exists for them anyways.

On another note, when is iOS going to update their OS? It is horribly old and outdated at this point. Who thought that seperate apps were a good idea for EVERY function? No universal keyboard? Some apps have arrow keys on the keyboard, some have crazy key locations?? Where is my universal speech to text? Where are the voice controls for email, texting, navigation, etc? With my android phone I can just hold down the search key, tell it to "text matt When are we meeting up at the bowling alley?" and it texts my friend Matt, "When are we meeting up at the bowling alley?" I can say "Navigate to pizza hut" and it launches navigation and takes me to the closest pizza hut. I can tell it to call a contact or number, email a contact or new email address, etc. Now THAT is magical and revolutionary. There are literally dozens of other places where iOS falls dreadfully short, when are they updating it for gods sake? I mean its literally just pages of shortcuts.

Last edited:

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Thats just a word Apple fans use to compensate for where iOS falls completely short. Fragmentation means user choice. Also, a VAST majority of consumers don't care/know about what OS version of Android their phone is running. Fragmentation is only an issue for extremely tech savvy power users who want the latest and greatest as soon as its out, and XDA exists for them anyways.

Actually, fragmentation affects application development. Before 2.2, and there are still some 2.1 Android items out there, the file size for applications was greatly limited. The Android market is making great strides, hopefully it will continue to. But Google themselves said 2.2 is not suitable for the tablets. That's what Honeycomb is supposed to be for.

Before you pull the "Apple fanboi" crap that I so despise, I am completely aware of the Android devices and development. I use a Droid Incredible rooted daily and am on DroidForums and Incredible Forum daily. So yes, I understand fragmentation and the growth that Android still needs to do to catch up.

It is best if both keep going. Competition makes better devices. But fragmentation still exists and still needs to be worked out.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In and of itself, I can see wanting a full MacOS tablet. But then there goes the battery life, and not being able to leave it on standby for instant on, for me the two features that I find awesome. But hmmmm, dual OS sort of thing-what an interesting idea.

Why wouldn't you be able to leave it on standby for instant on? The newer computers get, the better the standby feature gets. My core i5 Windows 7 systems goes from full standby (you wouldn't even know it is powered on) to ready for use in less time than it takes me to sit in my chair. In standby mode the power use is almost zero. There is no reason a tablet based system with a modern OS cannot achieve the same thing.

Well, if a full OS on a tablet can do that, then yeah, no argument!
I have a Windows 7 netbook tablet and it most definitely cannot be left on standby. Also have a hacked PanDigital Novel in the family, runs Android, and its intended primary function is an e-reader, but it most definitely too CANNOT be left on standby, which you would think it should. I did a test on it, and it wouldn't turn on the next day-drained right down. I was surprised at how fast.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In and of itself, I can see wanting a full MacOS tablet. But then there goes the battery life, and not being able to leave it on standby for instant on, for me the two features that I find awesome. But hmmmm, dual OS sort of thing-what an interesting idea.

Why wouldn't you be able to leave it on standby for instant on? The newer computers get, the better the standby feature gets. My core i5 Windows 7 systems goes from full standby (you wouldn't even know it is powered on) to ready for use in less time than it takes me to sit in my chair. In standby mode the power use is almost zero. There is no reason a tablet based system with a modern OS cannot achieve the same thing.

Well, if a full OS on a tablet can do that, then yeah, no argument!
I have a Windows 7 netbook tablet and it most definitely cannot be left on standby. Also have a hacked PanDigital Novel in the family, runs Android, and its intended primary function is an e-reader, but it most definitely too CANNOT be left on standby, which you would think it should. I did a test on it, and it wouldn't turn on the next day-drained right down. I was surprised at how fast.

My MBP loses 2-3% every 12 hours in standby mode (just close the lid) and starts back up instantly. You have a hacked PanDigital Novel which, to say the least, is a terrible device, so I'm not surprised it loses excessive battery life in standby mode.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not after having my POS droid for the past year! I don't ever want anything android again. Even my google tv pisses me off quite often with it's slowdown and instability.

Lol. Your 1.5 year old phone? Also, what makes it a POS? You run 30 widgets and live wallpaper and then wonder why its slow with bad battery life?

Well for starters it's a little over a year old and when you are saddled to a 2 year contract it is total bs that a phone is obsolete in 6 months!!

I have never used live wallpaper and have 3 screens of apps. It is slow, choppy and crashes every few mins...regardless of how fresh the install is. The marketplace is a nightmare of useless apps, spyware and scams. The browser is slow choppy garbage. It has actually crashed on me while making a phone call!!! If I use the gps function while driving and plugged in it drains the battery to completely dead by the time I get to my destination (there's a great design!!)...most apps I install are completely broken within in a few updates since there is no oversight on the crap that can be installed.

Another horrible thing is, the vendors are in charge of software updates. So if you get lucky with a company like motorola they will forget you within a few months and release the same device with somewhat useable specs and total screw it's early adopters.

Hmmm, let's see, what else do I hate. Oh, in order for it to function properly I have to root and overclock, since they set the core speed to slow as snail crap, and the sleep clock too high...so you get a delightfully horrid mixture of 3 hour battery life and slow slow slowness. So that means every time they update I have to scour the steps to root again...and since a-hole motorola immediately refreshed this POS, the root community also couldn't give a crap....so since it requires oc to be useable and root is always months after updates I have to deal with it popping up that there is an update available every time I look at my phone!! Oh and as for battery life. If I actual use the thing it lasts a few hours...and that is with the extremely bulky extended battery added to it's already big as a VCR body!!

Seriously, everything that is android makes me appreciate iOS every day!! I can't wait for the verizon iPhone. I will gladly pay full retail for it and smash my droid to little bitty pieces!!

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, NONE of those things happen on my Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.2) and I'm not even rooted. It's quick, responsive (even with live wallpaper) and much better than iOS.

Sounds like you just need to get a cheap flip phone or something until the Verizon iPhone comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts