What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had to (sadly) un-break my JB.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In a another thread I expressed a problem I had with an App (Olive Tree's Bible+), which refused to travel past its opening screen, after I jail broke my 1st gen Ipad.

Last night, and today, I found that other Apps of mine were suffering the same fate. At first, I thought that the issue might have been with just 'Free' Apps, that I had downloaded. But I have a paid version of 10 Pin Shuffle (one of my favs), that refused to even open. Clicking on its icon would give a quick black screen, and then the ipad's desktop screen would reappear.

I just just restored my ipad, and my Apps are responding as well as they did before the jail breaking. I am about to re-download Bible+ to see if that one will also work right, now.

But I sure wish that this hadn't been the case, because it now seems that the benefits of jail-breaking will not be afforded me.

What a really BIG BUMMER:mad:.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
aww, Nathan! I am sorry to hear that. Wait for Leigh ~ I bet he can shed some light on this.

Thanks, Marie.

I surely hope he catches this thread, and have a work-a-round for this.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry Nathan, noting in the standard jailbreak would cause any of these symptoms. Can you give me a list of everything (you can remember at least) that you installed through Cydia. It sounds like you had something that was not compatible at all but which did not have the right settings on the package to prevent you installing it...

It's certainly not a typical experience. Maybe in a week or two you'll allow me to walk you through it again, and we'll see if we can get a better result. Remind me, which JB did you run?

Let me know.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry Nathan, noting in the standard jailbreak would cause any of these symptoms. Can you give me a list of everything (you can remember at least) that you installed through Cydia. It sounds like you had something that was not compatible at all but which did not have the right settings on the package to prevent you installing it...

It's certainly not a typical experience. Maybe in a week or two you'll allow me to walk you through it again, and we'll see if we can get a better result. Remind me, which JB did you run?

Let me know.

If memory serves me correct, it was 'Sn0wbreeze' (v2.6) that I had jail-broke my Ipad with. I both of them (Sn0wbreeze & Redsn0w) downloaded, and just happened to select Sn0wbreeze for the task.

As far as what I had downloaded, via Cydia, is concerned, all I can say is that (outside of the 'Black keyboard') I was mostly into Themes & Icons, though the majority of what I had downloaded didn't seem to work. I did, however, just recently read that 90-95% of what was offered was for the IPhone, and would not work right on the IPad.

I can live without the jail-breaking, if I must, but it sure would be nice to have it running properly on my unit. Maybe I will give it another try. Also, I just re-downloaded the Bible+ App (Olive Tree), and have found that everything about it is back in good order. So, maybe you are right when you mentioned the possibility of a Cydia download being the culprit for my dilemma.

I am sure that I will give it (Jail Breaking) another shot. betwixt the two (Redsn0w & Sn0wbreeze) which would you set the biggest bank on? Or would it really matter?

Thanks for your help - which is always of great girth.

jeans94621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you have the app retina pad installed. I notice since the upgrade that retina pad was crashing a lot of my apps. I uninstalled it and everything works fine now.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you have the app retina pad installed. I notice since the upgrade that retina pad was crashing a lot of my apps. I uninstalled it and everything works fine now.

Noticed this also....it was my iPhone only apps that stopped working.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score

By golly, I sure did.

Methinks, now, that I just MAY venture into another relationship with the JB. This time, however, I will be sure to stay clear of that Retina Pad App. Thanks.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I just finished jail-breaking again (this time with Redsn0w), and the Bible Reader (so far) is acting just fine. Maybe I am good to go, now, as long as I stay away from that little meanie (RetinaPad) :).

My thanks to all.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
Well, I just finished jail-breaking again (this time with Redsn0w), and the Bible Reader (so far) is acting just fine. Maybe I am good to go, now, as long as I stay away from that little meanie (RetinaPad) :).

My thanks to all.

Glad you are back. Keep a note of stuff you install. Since you know your Bible app is a test, always check it after you install new stuff. That way you should catch the culprit...

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NLAlston said:

My thanks to all.

Glad you are back. Keep a note of stuff you install. Since you know your Bible app is a test, always check it after you install new stuff. That way you should catch the culprit...

Yes. Wise suggestion, indeed. I have a feeling that all is going to be swell, now.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@ grayshark95.

Yes, I guess it's plain to see that I am an old fashioned kinda guy......lol.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
@ grayshark95.

Yes, I guess it's plain to see that I am an old fashioned kinda guy......lol.

You can quote me. You don't have to do @grayshark. In the app, tap on the top of my post and the quote button will pop up. Online, there is a blue button at the bottom of every post that you can click. Don't know if you already knew that. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts