What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a Free Replacement For iPad 3

SarcasticIndeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my new iPad a month after it came out as my birthday present, and I fell in love with it. I've been using it whenever I could. Then one day I noticed a crack in the glass of the iPad. It literally just appeared there, I don't believe a drop caused it to happen. It was a small one, but I was extremely sad and worried it would crack. Since we didn't have an Apple Store here, I went to an authorized reseller of Apple products, but they told me it's not something warranty covers, especially since there's a dent in metal on the other side of the iPad that was created since I dropped it (even if it didn't cause the screen crack).

Fortunately, mother was going to Amsterdam and I gave her the iPad to visit an Apple Shop and see if they can help her. After making an appointment there, and explaining the situations to the people she was talking to, they talked with their manager and gave her a brand new iPad for free. Minus the waiting, they gave them the new iPad in 10 minutes.

I'm just posting this here because I'm very happy and for those out there who have similar problems :)

waah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my new iPad a month after it came out as my birthday present, and I fell in love with it. I've been using it whenever I could. Then one day I noticed a crack in the glass of the iPad. It literally just appeared there, I don't believe a drop caused it to happen. It was a small one, but I was extremely sad and worried it would crack. Since we didn't have an Apple Store here, I went to an authorized reseller of Apple products, but they told me it's not something warranty covers, especially since there's a dent in metal on the other side of the iPad that was created since I dropped it (even if it didn't cause the screen crack).

Fortunately, mother was going to Amsterdam and I gave her the iPad to visit an Apple Shop and see if they can help her. After making an appointment there, and explaining the situations to the people she was talking to, they talked with their manager and gave her a brand new iPad for free. Minus the waiting, they gave them the new iPad in 10 minutes.

I'm just posting this here because I'm very happy and for those out there who have similar problems :)

Really, when it comes to customer service nothing can and never would beat Apple! Love you Apple!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope you have your iPad in a cover that protects it front and back. No matter how minor you may think dropping an iPad, it was not designed to be dropped! I'm glad you had a great experience with Apple. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with Apple. It sure does counteract all the negatives being reported elsewhere on the forum!

bullseye064

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How come it seems that everyone else is getting their IPAD cracked screen replace by apple at no costs, but my experience with apple with this issue is a painful one. I currently have a crack screen (IPAD gen 3) went to the Apple store here in Sacramento and was denied to be replace. I was assuming that it was coverd by the one year warranty, but on that warranty, it doesn't specify about crack screen is not covered by the warranty. Then they tell me that they have a I care apple insurance coverage, which was never mention to me when I purchase my IPAD. Needless to say, but it seems that apple is not really fair on all customers. Why are some other customers getting their crack screen replaced and some others are not being equally replace. (Maybe you have to be an irate customer to get what you want)

OP
S

SarcasticIndeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bullseye064 said:
How come it seems that everyone else is getting their IPAD cracked screen replace by apple at no costs, but my experience with apple with this issue is a painful one. I currently have a crack screen (IPAD gen 3) went to the Apple store here in Sacramento and was denied to be replace. I was assuming that it was coverd by the one year warranty, but on that warranty, it doesn't specify about crack screen is not covered by the warranty. Then they tell me that they have a I care apple insurance coverage, which was never mention to me when I purchase my IPAD. Needless to say, but it seems that apple is not really fair on all customers. Why are some other customers getting their crack screen replaced and some others are not being equally replace. (Maybe you have to be an irate customer to get what you want)

Awh, well, you can always try another Apple centre? It really relies on the manager and his mood at the time, I believe. Your experience in two centers may vary greatly.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bullseye064 said:

If you show up with an attitude you will not be treated well.

No one is guaranteed a replacement for a cracked screen. It is handled on a case by case basis. If the genius decides the problem was likely due to a defect being present in the iPad when it shipped, the have the authority to offer a replacement. But they are not required to. And you can't really expect that their policy is that they replace the a cracked screen iPad everytime one comes in the door, not matter what the reason.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you show up with an attitude you will not be treated well.

No one is guaranteed a replacement for a cracked screen. It is handled on a case by case basis. If the genius decides the problem was likely due to a defect being present in the iPad when it shipped, the have the authority to offer a replacement. But they are not required to. And you can't really expect that their policy is that they replace the a cracked screen iPad everytime one comes in the door, not matter what the reason.

I can attest to the truthfulness of this. Due to the nature of why mine had to be replaced I can't go into exact specifics of what happened to the device itself, but it was definitely NOT a covered issue once the display was gone.

It was actually a manager who ended up helping me (long story) and he actually put in the case notes he was doing the swap despite it not being a covered issue because of "specific circumstances of the accidental damage in addition to extreme patience in face of scheduling issue with Genius Bar appointment and unusual display of kindness to another customer." So yeah, attitude can make a big difference in how things are handled :)

Oh, and the best part? I not only got to see another customer get the extra little bit of help the needed but I also ended up with a higher capacity device because they had no replacements for the model i owned in stock for some reason :)

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Needless to say, but it seems that apple is not really fair on all customers.

Agreed ! Apple is not fair with its treatment to all customers. Especially in countries where it operates thorugh its resellers and Authorised Service centres. You have to interact with a Apple Team sitting in Ireland and all they give you is false promises and assurances I had a similar experience where Apple denied me a replacement for a Greenish Tint in my iPad.

And there was no problem with my Attitude. My Attitude was only to get a replacement, I have other things to do in life then just to show an attitude to Apple ! I mean when I am expecting a replacement from Apple. Why would I throw attitude to them !! Am I insane !

Most reactions

Latest posts