Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by p53, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p53

p53 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Hi everyone,
    Yesterday night while returning from the library, I accidentally dropped my ipad2 straight onto the concrete from about 4 feet. And of course, upon inspection, the screen had cracked nearly the entire length of the ipad. Also, the corner was really damaged.

So, this morning I took it to the apple store and explained exactly what happened, and the guy says "no problem, we'll replace it for free this one time". I was extremely surprised this happened, that's pretty amazing CS. So, in a few days I have to go back to the apple store to pick up the ipad.

Does anyone know if apple supplies a brand new replacement ipad2 or is at a refurbished model?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    • Like Like x 12
  2. PatS

PatS iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is great service. I wonder if the results/service are the same if bought through a third party distributor such as Best Buy. I picked up my iPad 2 at BB the day after launch when they were not available at the Apple store and reserved a second one for my husband which we received yesterday.
  3. anmanwar

anmanwar iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Wow I had no idea they would replace it for an accident like that! Really nice apple store employees!
    Annette (I'm guessing refurbished but who knows)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HKWrite12

HKWrite12 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    They did the same thing for my lil brothers 4th gen. They didn't even ask what happened.

To answer your ? My rep told me that apple store are not allowed to distribute refurbs. Everything in the store is brand spanking new, just sometimes in whole sale packaging. The display stuff goes back to the great beyond and is strip for parts or donated to schools. (that's what he said but this may just be fluff.)

Enjoy your SECOND NEW IPAD 2.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. p53

p53 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I was just wondering if I might get a refurbished model, b/c they had the exact same Ipad configuration as the one I broke, in the back room. I asked about this, and they said it's out of their hands and that apple sends them a specific ipad that I can then pick up from the store.

Either way, I am grateful I don't have to spend $270 for a repair!!

Ryan
  6. darrinaltman

darrinaltman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I really think them seeing your honesty goes a long way. Years ago I ruined an iPod and they also gave me a new one.

If you have a problem with an apple product (no matter where you purchase it), be nice and honest and they will help you.

Tremendous CS nobody else provides.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gkauf3

Gkauf3 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last week I took my cracked screen white 16 GB Ipad2 to my local Apple store and they were able to give me a new one on the spot. Also I decided to get a 32 gig and paid $100 - they were fine with that. The corner on mine was also damaged. And it was dropped onto concrete from about 30 inches. I am now a bit nervous about carrying it around in just a Smartcover.
  8. p53

p53 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I offered to pay up for a higher model, but the employee said the system doesn't work like that. I am going to be a lot more careful with the new ipad, that's for sure!
  9. zipur

zipur iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0

I agree honesty is the way to go because, Its just the right thing to do. It like that old saying, "Character is what you do when no one is watching"
  10. Spongebob

Spongebob iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    They replaced mine that had a crack under the glass. They had to order one for me which did not come in a factory box, but was wrapped in the plastic to protect it. I assume it is new, but may not be as there is a very minor spot on the bottom but that will be covered by a Pixelskin. Either way, awesome service in my eyes.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Tom811

Tom811 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That really is impressive customer service. Hope I never need to find out how my local Apple store would treat me, if I accident with my iPad.
  12. DSSK

DSSK iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I placed My iPad 32gb 3g model on top of the car and totally forgot about it. started driving and it flew off the roof and i'm sure it got run over by a car at least once. Because of the leather case it didn't get a scratch on it anywhere but there is a dent and the screen is cracked and nothing is coming on it.

When I plugged it into the computer, it syncs and all and I can hear all sounds. i wonder if I should make a 150mile trip to the nearest apple store.!? hmmm

does anyone have experience with the apple store in either Charleston, SC or South Park Mall in Charlotte, NC?
  13. akintomide

akintomide iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is a good story that tells of Apple goodwill to its customers. But I should be careful with my iPad Classic not to break the cover.
  14. darrinaltman

darrinaltman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    If you decide to go, I would, just tell them what happened and how upset you are at yourself. Ask them if there is anyway they can fix it and if all goes well they will understand your pain and replace it. Don't say anything about you have read online how they replaced others who dropped theirs, etc. Be nice and sincere and with a little luck they will make you happy.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. xxcysxx

xxcysxx iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just want to say that it was refreshing reading this thread.
    With great customer service and a wonderful product like that, I don't understand why some people would hate apple so badly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.