What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who replaced their mac with ipad 3

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Mac mini base model and I'm thinking of replacing it with a 16 gig 4g model. I have over 100 of cloud storage between iCloud, Dropbox , sky drive, and google drive plus my wireless Seagate HHD. I have an apple wireless keyboard to cover my school work and hardcore typing. Plus with the Apple tv I can mirror everything in 1080p to my 42" 120 hz led tv. Plus I can but my contract with on the iPad 3 and start a new line when the iPhone 5 drops. Lol this really wasn't a question more like who has done this?

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although it's a nice idea, there's no way I can replace my MacBook Pro with my iPad 3. But then again our needs are different. My Mac is my business and productivity machine. I need the computing power of the Mac to edit videos and compose music. And I work with a lot of Excel spreadsheets. The iPad is limited when it comes to editing and crunching spreadsheets. It's also limited when it comes to email attachments. I use my iPad as an extension to my Mac. But it's taken over the responsibilities of fast tasks like Internet searching, quick emails, facebooking, and youtubing. It also stands in its own category as my go to leisure device - ebooks, games, fitness.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6mildollarman said:
Although it's a nice idea, there's no way I can replace my MacBook Pro with my iPad 3. But then again our needs are different. My Mac is my business and productivity machine. I need the computing power of the Mac to edit videos and compose music. And I work with a lot of Excel spreadsheets. The iPad is limited when it comes to editing and crunching spreadsheets. It's also limited when it comes to email attachments. I use my iPad as an extension to my Mac. But it's taken over the responsibilities of fast tasks like Internet searching, quick emails, facebooking, and youtubing. It also stands in its own category as my go to leisure device - ebooks, games, fitness.

Says it for me.
Since I got an iPad, my Mac gets a lot less use, but I could never get rid of it.

OP
J

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6mildollarman said:

Great post I just have been weighting my opinions . I'm a YouTube maker ,photo editor and a hobby music producer. So iPhoto, GarageBand,FL STUDIOS, and iMovie cover these. My only concern is downloading music and movies but my old compaq notebook can be my work horse for that

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the answer depends on who you are. Many folks will do just fine with no computer and just an iPad with keyboard and a few other accessories. I am not one of them, however, but I can see how others could do fine working this way.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I don't think my iPad will replace my MacBook any time soon, I do find I'm using the iPad more these days - I'm self-employed and I recently switched to using an iPad app for all my invoicing and estimating, something I never thought I'd do. I also use it for taking all my work-related notes, sketches and photos - yep, never thought I'd use the cameras on the iPad either, but there you go!

But like many people I still find it easier to do some things on a laptop; now, a 13" iPad Pro with some way of keeping a couple of apps open and visible at the same time, and that could be interesting.. ;)

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a chance. I have had the iPad, iPad 2 and now the New iPad. None could ever replace my MB Pro or my MB Air. iPads are not computers, plain and simple.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not a chance. I have had the iPad, iPad 2 and now the New iPad. None could ever replace my MB Pro or my MB Air. iPads are not computers, plain and simple.

iPad are computers, just of a different sort. Why do you have both a Pro and an Air? Just curious.

capnben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After having my new iPad since its release, I have just sold my MacBook Pro. For my needs, I can handle just having my iPad. The only thing I really lose is the DVD drive. But my movie and music collection is residing on a Seagate satellite drive, and my primary usage for both my iPad and my previous MacBook Pro was/is Internet based.

What it comes down to is what your needs are. Try using only the iPad for a while. Can you get by without the full computer? No one else can determine what YOUR needs are.

Ben

Most reactions