iPad 3 screen cracked with smart cover on! help?!

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Jackie_, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Jackie_

Jackie_ iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey everyone,
    I am going to be a freshman at my new highschool. at my school, they have decided to use iPads instead of textbooks. I
    received my iPad about three weeks ago. I purchased a smart cover and everything was good. About a half hour ago my
    iPad was on my bed charging and I went to unplug it and it slipped and fell on the vent on my floor..... it has a crack
    about the size of my pinky finger nail but it looks like shattered glass and the cracks spread. what do I do? the smart
    cover was on my iPad! will apple replace it?!
  2. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    No harm in asking them. Make an appointment at your local Genius bar. Tell them what happened, and see what they say. They may be able to do something.
  3. Jackie_

Jackie_ iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thank you so much! do you think they will be able to help? and how much would a screen replacement cost?
  4. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    It's hit and miss. Some people have had replacements. Others have been told they will have to pay for repairs/replacement. Prices have varied. There's no real way of knowing until you sit down with the guys at the Apple Store.
  5. Jackie_

Jackie_ iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    okay thank you so much! you are a life saver!
  6. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    Not me! You have no idea how often this subject has been raised. I'm just telling you what has happened over the last year or so. Good luck with Apple.

Btw. Let us know how you get on, if you wouldn't mind.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  7. Jackie_

Jackie_ iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks!
  8. digitalbits6

digitalbits6 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you have the new AppleCare Plus warranty, they will cover two accidental damage incidents over the life of the warranty. AppleCare + cost $99 for two years of coverage and needs to be purchased at the time the iPad is purchased, or within 30 days with a Genius bar inspection. There is a surcharge of $49 per accidental incident.

If the school purchased the iPads, see if they bought the AppleCare +. If they did, then you pay $49 and its is covered. If not, I'd still contact the school and see if they have an Apple rep. If you purchased the iPad, then you should make a Genius appointment and ask them what to do.

Apple does not repair iPads themselves, but will replace the entire iPad for a flat fee; see the Repair Pricing section here:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service/faq/

Otherwise, there are independent iPad repair services that may be able to replace the screen for less. Do a web search for "ipad repair". Note, though, that if you elect to have the iPad serviced by an unauthorized shop, all further warranty will be void.

Good luck, let us know what happens. For others, it might be a good idea to buy AppleCare +. I just got AppleCare + after a Genius Bar appointment a couple weeks ago.
  9. liquidxt

liquidxt iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What do you do in the instance of buying the iPad used? Can you still get the care plus if it is still under warranty?
  10. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,340 / 1
    AppleCare has to be purchased at the time the iPad is purchased or within 30 days,pending inspection.
  11. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,146 / 1
    Sorry to nitpick, but it could be important.

AppleCare can be purchased at any time before the 1 year standard warrantee runs out. AppleCare + (plus) must be purchases as SciFan has specified. Only the AppleCare + plan covers accidental damage to the iPad.
  12. jmbarker58

jmbarker58 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    According to my local Apple store, the version of Apple Care that preceded AppleCare+ is no longer available.
  13. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,146 / 1
    Huh!?

I checked and you are right. I only see AppleCare, but it now includes accidental damage coverage that was the key feature of AppleCare+. I wonder when they did that? Probably when the started the new iPad, and I just didn't spot it.

My apologies, everyone.

Edit: They are still calling it AppleCare + under the when you try to purchase the iPad online. I'm not sure why the discrepancy, but it would be wise to read the coverage for whatever plan you are getting and make sure it has the accident coverage.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  14. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,340 / 1
    When I purchased my iPad 3 I was given the choice of AppleCare or AppleCare +. They've since changed it as this screenshot from the Apple store shows.

image-1823605190.jpg
  15. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,146 / 1
    No idea then. I got mine at Verizon, and there was some deep consulting before they figured out how to add AppleCare +. I asked for it, so I don't know what the other options might have been.
  16. Erwaso

Erwaso iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So as it stands today in the US, you cannot buy AppleCare after 30days of purchase?
  17. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,146 / 1
    I'm looking at Apple's link to it's current AppleCare products. U.S. Store of course. It looks (to me) as if there are now two plans.

AppleCare Protection Plan
    AppleCare +

The plans appear to be linked to the type of devices; AppleCare + for iPhones and iPads, AppleCare Protection Plan for everything else.

I don't see the old AppleCare plan, so it looks like you can't get it for the iPad anymore. You buy the new plan upfront within 30 days, or go looking for a third party insurance plan. They do exist.

That seems to mean there there is no way to simply extend your warrantee and get tech support after 30 days. Perhaps there were not enough people doing it for Apple to bother with it anymore. There is also the trouble they are getting into in Italy over AppleCare's extended warrantee and the local consumer laws, so maybe the dropped it for that reason too.

If someone is near an Apple Store and can get a more official answer, that would be great.
  18. digitalbits6

digitalbits6 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The iPad (3) 30 day support clock seems to start on the day you "register" the product, not the day the product is purchased. I confirmed this when I setup a Genius Bar appointment and got the inspection required to purchase AppleCare + (includes accidental damage with deductible). Regarding getting the older AppleCare, I tried to do this on an iPhone4 which was under 1 year old, but obviously over the 30 days. I got 3 different results when trying to by AppleCare. 1) its past 30 days, sorry no AppleCare Plus. 2) we don't sell AppleCare anymore, and 3) I was told that since the iPhone4 was purchased before the new AppleCare Plus program started, I should still be able to get AppleCare (not Plus), but calling Apple Customer Service.

AppleCare Plus is the version that covers accidential damage, vs just warranty work. So this is why there needs to be an inspection (of a product taken out of an AppleStore). That's why you can buy AppleCare Plus on-line when you buy a new iPhone or iPad. So, if you have an older, but under 1 year old product, you might be able to get regular AppleCare warranty extended coverage.

I have also used a mail order repair (in Cupertino) for an iPhone 4 with water damage. They specialize in water damage and cracked screens. Cost was $99 plus shipping and they recovered a "dead" water soaked phone by a take apart and cleaning process, they also replace the battery and all the interior seals. But they do not replace the 2 water sensors - which are still red now. They also repair cracked iPad screens (for about double the iPhone 4 screen price).
    • Like Like x 1
  19. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,146 / 1
    Thank your for that excellent answer, Digitalbits6.