What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fine Point Stylus

joet06477

iPF Noob
Reaction score
where can I find a fine point stylus be purchased for the iPad

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Capacitive touch screens to not work with fine point styluses. A certain amount of surface area is needed to make things work. The closest thing you are likely to find at this point are the Jot styluses (and a few similar solutions). They get mixed reviews, so YMMV.

There are a few Kickstarter.com projects that show promise. They combine infra red and/or bluetooth tech to enhance stylus performance. I don't think any of them are available yet, but you can sign up for one of the projects if want.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am going to be interested in seeing if the new retina screen on the iPad 3 will allow finer point styluses to be used.....

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand that there is a mathematical algorithm that averages activated points on the screen and computes the centroid, but I assume that the precision ultimately depends on the screen resolution. If so, then they could tweak the algorithm to provide better pointing precision.

I guess time will tell----.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. The layer of the screen that senses your finger has nothing, nothing to do with the layer of the screen that provides the display. One senses capacitance on a grid of sensors. The other emits a grid of light.

It is possible Apple will increase the sensitivity of touch, but they do not need to change the sensing grid's resolution in order to increase the display's resolution; nor vice-versa.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
This came out for the iPad 1. However nothing came of it, apple does not allow this in the app store because it used private API's and there is not way to do this without using the private API's.

Its, possible, just not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. I kind of remember seeing this, but had forgotten all about it.

I suspect that the demo would not have worked as well if they had used someone else's stylus. That kind of tweaking of detection has got to be pretty finicky.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. The layer of the screen that senses your finger has nothing, nothing to do with the layer of the screen that provides the display. One senses capacitance on a grid of sensors. The other emits a grid of light.

It is possible Apple will increase the sensitivity of touch, but they do not need to change the sensing grid's resolution in order to increase the display's resolution; nor vice-versa.

Yeah, but one would think that if Apple decided to go to a higher resolution image capability they would also provide a higher resolution touch sensor grid. Otherwise there could very well be an issue with trying to track something on the screen that required more pointing accuracy than the system could deliver.

In any event, it would be sort of poor judgement not to---.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Targus stylus that I bought at Best Buy. It's short, too light.....like trying to write with a stubby pencil. Definitely not my favorite iPad accessory.

Cheers, Dan

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Wacom Bamboo Stylus Is the smallest rubber tip type stylus, and is long and quite comfy to hold. It is $30 at Best Buy. It has replacement nibs (tips), but they are hard to find. At least the stylus is still good after the first is worn out.

It want to try the Jot, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I keep hearing good things about it...

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skallal said:
The Wacom Bamboo Stylus Is the smallest rubber tip type stylus, and is long and quite comfy to hold. It is $30 at Best Buy. It has replacement nibs (tips), but they are hard to find. At least the stylus is still good after the first is worn out.

It want to try the Jot, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I keep hearing good things about it...

The ends wear out? Is this true of all styluses? It never occurred to me.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be fair, I have a Zagg screen protector on another tablet, which creates more friction. In fact the stylus squeaks. Now I'm using the new iPad wo/ any protector, and the stylus moves much easier. I'll have to see how the stylus holds up better wo/ a protector.

I also had a Targus stylus wear out...

Most reactions

Latest posts