What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Ipad Stylus - Ultra Fine Point - Write like a real pen!

Yue923

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are referring to the one from dagi that is similar to jot being useless for handwriting? If that is the case then jot will be useless too. I had stylus from boxwave before and it was horrible. The tip broke up. So i decided not to buy a stylus using the same tip (wacoom, alupen, alike)

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are referring to the one from dagi that is similar to jot being useless for handwriting? If that is the case then jot will be useless too. I had stylus from boxwave before and it was horrible. The tip broke up. So i decided not to buy a stylus using the same tip (wacoom, alupen, alike)

You might be right about the concepts being similar, but I am hoping that the Jot is better executed. The Dagi disk is hard plastic that does not feel right whey you write!

Here's hoping the Jot will be more pliable. The disk seems to swivel at whatever angle you hold the stylus, whereas the Dagi's is fixed at an inconvenient angle for me.

Last edited:

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems that you are talking about different dagi's model. I'm refering to this
iPad stylus,iPhone stylus, DAGi transparent accurate capacitive stylus, ??????? -- ????
Like jot look it can use with angle too.

Yeah! Thanks for posting the link.

I was indeed referring to an earlier Dagi. It had a fixed tip, but this one looks a lot like the Jot. After viewing the video, I must say though that my gut reaction is to favor the Jot as being of higher quality----but who knows?

P.S. For instance, the Jot has a protective cap for the disk. On the other hand, the Dagi says you can replace the tip. It is not clear that the Jot has this feature.

Last edited:

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just ordered a Jot Pro, too bad it is an estimated 4 weeks but not a huge deal. I have a Wacom Bamboo stylus as it was the smallest nib I could find at the time and I do like it but it still seems too big. Looking forward to getting the Jot, looks much more precise and accurate.

Jasonastacio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
Just ordered a Jot Pro, too bad it is an estimated 4 weeks but not a huge deal. I have a Wacom Bamboo stylus as it was the smallest nib I could find at the time and I do like it but it still seems too big. Looking forward to getting the Jot, looks much more precise and accurate.

Have you received yourJot yet? I'm trying gauge how accurate the 4 week shipping is.

ABoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DIY Stylus

Hi

I am new here but wanted to reply to Obsidian who showed us how to make a DIY stylus.

I was an avid fan of the old style stylus style pen nib before the new finger screen technology and found using my finger a little awkward and made a mess of the screen. I tried a few stylus type things and eventually came accross stylus R us. This is the best finger replacement I have ever tried. I cant understand when we spend so much time on ous Ipads (Ipods etc) why would you try and save a few pounds. Would anyone make their own pen or use a cheapo bic pen at work, no, so why not invest in a perfectly designed stylus and believe me you will never look back (or try and make your own). Try one and write me back.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just received mine today and love it! I would be mildly concerned about faint scratches if I didn't have a screen protector....

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman: Are you referring to the Jot? If so, how about a more complete review.
P.S. Hope you won't take offense to the following observation from an over-the-hill old timer, but if your avatar is a good facsimile, you are one heckuva good looking lady!

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, well, I just received the Jot today. I played with it for about 10 minutes before having to go out but so far I really like it. I have tried several others and my favorite by far has been the Boxwave. The Jot is completely different. It really is like writing with a pen. The barrel seems a little thick to hold and I'm not sure why it needs to be like that, but it is not so thick as to be bothersome. I love the screw off top (although figuring out how to get it out of the packaging was a bit of a challenge - the packaging overall seemed like someone had done it in a hurry in the dark!). The little plastic disk is a little strange at first, when you write with it, you can't quite figure out why it's there. But overall it works really nicely. It is very precision oriented and is smooth and fun to write with. The one thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the "noise" it makes when you write with it, not an ongoing noise, but noise like when you use a piece of chalk on a chalk board, each time you touch the board, it makes a "clunk" sound. With a rubber tip implement, there is no sound. So writing a great deal of text is a bit noisy, hard to explain. Again, not that big of a deal but just a little different compared to the "quiet" of the Boxwave. I think the Jot will be really nice for meetings as long as it doesn't end up being too noisy from the touching of the pen to the screen. Oh, also, I wouldn't want to use this without a screen protector. Although I have no evidence of this yet, it seems like the little disk might or could scratch the screen, I could be wrong, but that is the initial feeling you get. I hope this is helpful. As I play with it over the next several days I can provide more feedback. But overall I really like the way it interacts with the iPad.

As far as the compliment. Thank you very much. That's really me. It's a backyard photo from last fall. Thank you for the kind words. :)

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my JotPro yesterday. Up 'till now I've been using a Boxwave stylus.

First impressions:

I was prepared to really like the Jot. The tapping sound is somewhat distracting for me but I'll probably get used to it.

Used with hand-writing apps like NoteTaker, Bamboo, etc the Jot is fantastic! Precision is so much better than the Boxwave as to make them non-comparable. The Jot wins hands-down!

When using most other apps that require no sketching but lots of tapping then I prefer the Boxwave. The silence makes the Boxwave a winner, especially when using it around other people.

My personal opinion now is that I'm glad I own both as I will be using both, each for that task each is most suited to. It's not a case of one or the other, but each to it's own speciality.

dale66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my JotPro yesterday. Up 'till now I've been using a Boxwave stylus.

First impressions:

I was prepared to really like the Jot. The tapping sound is somewhat distracting for me but I'll probably get used to it.

Used with hand-writing apps like NoteTaker, Bamboo, etc the Jot is fantastic! Precision is so much better than the Boxwave as to make them non-comparable. The Jot wins hands-down!

When using most other apps that require no sketching but lots of tapping then I prefer the Boxwave. The silence makes the Boxwave a winner, especially when using it around other people.

My personal opinion now is that I'm glad I own both as I will be using both, each for that task each is most suited to. It's not a case of one or the other, but each to it's own speciality.

I read in The Jot website and other reviews that The Jot scratches the screen.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read in The Jot website and other reviews that The Jot scratches the screen.

I have the Jot Pro and frankly I find it difficult to believe that it can "scratch" the iPad screen. However, the manufacturer does recommend keeping the screen free of "dust," so I'm guessing that something like a sharp-edged grain of sand might scratch the screen if picked up by the nib of the Jot. (Still skeptical but I suppose it's possible.)

I have a somewhat different complaint about the Jot Pro. Though I like its "heft," rubberized grip, screw on cap, and magnetized feature for keeping it attached to the hinge of the iPad, I've found that, at least for me, trying to use it at much less than a completely perpendicular (i.e. 90 degree) angle to the screen unpredictably results in missed strokes. At this point I'm not willing to attribute the problem solely to the Jot and I'm trying to adjust my writing style to accommodate it, but it is annoying and if I can't overcome it, it's a deal breaker. I've noticed that I'm not alone in this having this problem.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Boxwave has been my favorite so far, but I do love the precision of the Jot. But the clicking can be annoying. I have a screen protector on so I'm not too worried about the scratching, but my Jot disk seems to have tiny little edges on it that look like the edge just wasn't finished perfectly but I-can't tell if they are hard or soft and would therefore scratch or not. Precision wise there is no comparison. I haven't tried the stylus r us one.

Most reactions