What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Ipad Stylus - Ultra Fine Point - Write like a real pen!

Obsidian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if the title is a little misleading but I noticed the DIY section doesn't get much love and I wanted to share with as many people as possible. Mods, please move if you think this is inappropriate. I search and found several threads here where people are not happy with the stylus' offered by companies for taking notes. I was pretty frustrated too. After going through POGO, Dagi, Kensinton, etc. I just about gave up. Then I did a search and decided to try and make my own.

I just finished making my own Ipad Stylus and included instructions on my blog post. Thought I'd share with everyone here. It's not my original idea as I found the video on youtube. However, I made it, it work swell and I've included a set of written instructions. I'll never go back to a Pogo. I did a quick search and didn't find anyone posting anything comparable. Enjoy! I'm open to answer any questions anyone has!

DIY Ipad Stylus - Fine Point

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Obsidian said:
Sorry if the title is a little misleading but I noticed the DIY section doesn't get much love and I wanted to share with as many people as possible. Mods, please move if you think this is inappropriate. I search and found several threads here where people are not happy with the stylus' offered by companies for taking notes. I was pretty frustrated too. After going through POGO, Dagi, Kensinton, etc. I just about gave up. Then I did a search and decided to try and make my own.

I just finished making my own Ipad Stylus and included instructions on my blog post. Thought I'd share with everyone here. It's not my original idea as I found the video on youtube. However, I made it, it work swell and I've included a set of written instructions. I'll never go back to a Pogo. I did a quick search and didn't find anyone posting anything comparable. Enjoy! I'm open to answer any questions anyone has!

DIY Ipad Stylus - Fine Point

Very nice!

Perfect for people who use stroke based writing like kanji, japanese etc

Off to make one myself now... :D

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Have you tried other materials? I'm using aluminium foil, a bit hit and miss, no crisps packets to try with :(

Would have thought aluminium foil would be ideal... Maybe i'm not electrifying enough.... ;)

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

OP
O

Obsidian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the problem with aluminum foil is that it's too brittle. At the tip where the foil bends, after bending it a few times, you'll form micro tears and then it won't work. you need a conductive material that can stand up to folding. Also, make sure you are leaving enough material on the pen so you're part of the conductor.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, this looks like a brilliant idea: you get the large metallic area for sensing purposes, and the cutaway gives you the accuracy.

I am guessing that the nib of the pen must be accurately placed in the center of the opening, though.

Thanks a lot for the posting, OP!

Could you say what the translucent material is that you showed in the video? And hwere can I get some? Thanks.

Last edited:

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made my own stylus as well. I used a drafting pencil. I shaped the conductive foam to the tip of of a q-tip stick so that it was nice and firm and a bit pointy and stuck the q-tip stick inside of the drafting pencil lead holder. Makes it nice and easy and a lead holder has metal at the point that you hold it so along with the conductive foam it works really well.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think you ever told us what that transparent conductive material in your video is---or where it can be obtained!

KMVR925

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone tried the "fine tip touchpad stylus for iPad" listed on ecrater? (Forum won't let me post the url). It looks like it should be perfect, and only about $7

I miss wonderful fine-tip stylus of the Handspring Treo (unfortunately, it's incompatible technology). Bulky iPad stylus design makes impossible to quickly write legible notes, so Penultimate just about worthless to me. This one looks promising but I just spotted it on-line and have no evidence of whether it's any good or not. Has anyone tried it?

Yue923

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a bakcker of jot project and cant wait to receive mine. However, I found out that DAGI is already selling a similar stylus (P504 to P506). I'd love to know if someone who has this stylus would elaborate their experiences.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So it was only a matter of time before someone commercialized this idea. Check out Jot: Capacitive Touch Stylus by Adonit! by Adonit » Updates — Kickstarter. I'm a little sad that I didn't have a resources to build this into a real product but these guys are churning out something real cool. Check if out if DIY route is not for you.

Thanks for posting this. I signed up---couldn't resist. And you have a great attitude about being scooped. It's happened to me several times, but you gotta' respect energy and enthusiasm!

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am a bakcker of jot project and cant wait to receive mine. However, I found out that DAGI is already selling a similar stylus (P504 to P506). I'd love to know if someone who has this stylus would elaborate their experiences.

My advice is to forget about Dagi. I bought one and tested it and found it to be pretty useless for my handwriting apps. I highly reccomend iFaraday, and can't wait to compare it with the Jot.

Most reactions

Latest posts