Best Ipad Stylus - Ultra Fine Point - Write like a real pen!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Obsidian, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Obsidian

Obsidian iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry if the title is a little misleading but I noticed the DIY section doesn't get much love and I wanted to share with as many people as possible. Mods, please move if you think this is inappropriate. I search and found several threads here where people are not happy with the stylus' offered by companies for taking notes. I was pretty frustrated too. After going through POGO, Dagi, Kensinton, etc. I just about gave up. Then I did a search and decided to try and make my own.

I just finished making my own Ipad Stylus and included instructions on my blog post. Thought I'd share with everyone here. It's not my original idea as I found the video on youtube. However, I made it, it work swell and I've included a set of written instructions. I'll never go back to a Pogo. I did a quick search and didn't find anyone posting anything comparable. Enjoy! I'm open to answer any questions anyone has!

DIY Ipad Stylus - Fine Point
  2. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Very nice!

Perfect for people who use stroke based writing like kanji, japanese etc

Off to make one myself now... :D

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours
  3. SingingSabre

SingingSabre iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's really innovative. Thank you!
  4. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Have you tried other materials? I'm using aluminium foil, a bit hit and miss, no crisps packets to try with :(

Would have thought aluminium foil would be ideal... Maybe i'm not electrifying enough.... ;)

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours
  5. Obsidian

Obsidian iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the problem with aluminum foil is that it's too brittle. At the tip where the foil bends, after bending it a few times, you'll form micro tears and then it won't work. you need a conductive material that can stand up to folding. Also, make sure you are leaving enough material on the pen so you're part of the conductor.
  6. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yeah, this looks like a brilliant idea: you get the large metallic area for sensing purposes, and the cutaway gives you the accuracy.

I am guessing that the nib of the pen must be accurately placed in the center of the opening, though.

Thanks a lot for the posting, OP!

Could you say what the translucent material is that you showed in the video? And hwere can I get some? Thanks.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  7. Obsidian

Obsidian iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes. The nib has to be centered. But if you cut and tape right the nib can't really be off center.
  8. VitaW

VitaW iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I made my own stylus as well. I used a drafting pencil. I shaped the conductive foam to the tip of of a q-tip stick so that it was nice and firm and a bit pointy and stuck the q-tip stick inside of the drafting pencil lead holder. Makes it nice and easy and a lead holder has metal at the point that you hold it so along with the conductive foam it works really well.
  9. Heaviside

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I don't think you ever told us what that transparent conductive material in your video is---or where it can be obtained!
  10. Obsidian

Obsidian iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used a potato chip bag. Other materials are hard drive anti-static bag. Car window tint
  11. Obsidian

Obsidian iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  12. KMVR925

KMVR925 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone tried the "fine tip touchpad stylus for iPad" listed on ecrater? (Forum won't let me post the url). It looks like it should be perfect, and only about $7

I miss wonderful fine-tip stylus of the Handspring Treo (unfortunately, it's incompatible technology). Bulky iPad stylus design makes impossible to quickly write legible notes, so Penultimate just about worthless to me. This one looks promising but I just spotted it on-line and have no evidence of whether it's any good or not. Has anyone tried it?
  13. Yue923

Yue923 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a bakcker of jot project and cant wait to receive mine. However, I found out that DAGI is already selling a similar stylus (P504 to P506). I'd love to know if someone who has this stylus would elaborate their experiences.
  14. Heaviside

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Thanks for posting this. I signed up---couldn't resist. And you have a great attitude about being scooped. It's happened to me several times, but you gotta' respect energy and enthusiasm!
  15. Heaviside

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    My advice is to forget about Dagi. I bought one and tested it and found it to be pretty useless for my handwriting apps. I highly reccomend iFaraday, and can't wait to compare it with the Jot.
  16. Yue923

Yue923 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are referring to the one from dagi that is similar to jot being useless for handwriting? If that is the case then jot will be useless too. I had stylus from boxwave before and it was horrible. The tip broke up. So i decided not to buy a stylus using the same tip (wacoom, alupen, alike)
  17. Heaviside

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    You might be right about the concepts being similar, but I am hoping that the Jot is better executed. The Dagi disk is hard plastic that does not feel right whey you write!

Here's hoping the Jot will be more pliable. The disk seems to swivel at whatever angle you hold the stylus, whereas the Dagi's is fixed at an inconvenient angle for me.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  18. Yue923

Yue923 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  19. Heaviside

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yeah! Thanks for posting the link.

I was indeed referring to an earlier Dagi. It had a fixed tip, but this one looks a lot like the Jot. After viewing the video, I must say though that my gut reaction is to favor the Jot as being of higher quality----but who knows?

P.S. For instance, the Jot has a protective cap for the disk. On the other hand, the Dagi says you can replace the tip. It is not clear that the Jot has this feature.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  20. Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Just ordered a Jot Pro, too bad it is an estimated 4 weeks but not a huge deal. I have a Wacom Bamboo stylus as it was the smallest nib I could find at the time and I do like it but it still seems too big. Looking forward to getting the Jot, looks much more precise and accurate.