What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Ipad Stylus - Ultra Fine Point - Write like a real pen!

johnmann0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've developed an electronic ballpoint stylus for the iPad. The tip is a very smooth solid metal sphere of 3 mm diameter. It glides easily over the glass surface of the touchscreen. The small size of the tip makes it attractive for drawing or handwriting, as one can see the point of contact of the stylus with the screen. The large blunt tips of the styluses on the market hide the work being done.

If you'd like to see my stylus in action, search YouTube for "JCMiPadStylus".

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've developed an electronic ballpoint stylus for the iPad. The tip is a very smooth solid metal sphere of 3 mm diameter. It glides easily over the glass surface of the touchscreen. The small size of the tip makes it attractive for drawing or handwriting, as one can see the point of contact of the stylus with the screen. The large blunt tips of the styluses on the market hide the work being done.

If you'd like to see my stylus in action, search YouTube for "JCMiPadStylus".

From the look of your device in that video, you need to work on your industrial design and reduce at least 3/4 the size to make it marketable regardless of its potential.

kwaldron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Groucho - Good Name

<Sarcasm>
It's called a prototype. It demos the concept. It is not meant to look pretty.
</Sarcasm>
Size and form can come later. First you troubleshoot and finalize the circuit, then you shrink it.

By the way, l had the same thought. An active pen can negate the need for a large surface area, by instead increasing the charge gradient. How many volts did you have to apply, and did you need to oscillate?
I suspect though that I would not like the lack of friction from metal on glass. You might consider a durable soft coating on the ball bearing to approximate the feel of a pencil on paper. That would also address the marketing challange you would face with people worrying about the metal on glass contact.
I don't know what power source you are currently considering, but you might consider in the final design a clip that can plug into the headphone jack and "steal" power to charge the battery. Kill two birds with one stone. Charge the pen, and have a way to clip it to the device.
Always remember, in design a solution that addresses more than one issue is better, and in my mind more elegant.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kwaldron said:
<Sarcasm>
It's called a prototype. It demos the concept. It is not meant to look pretty.
</Sarcasm>
Size and form can come later. First you troubleshoot and finalize the circuit, then you shrink it.

By the way, l had the same thought. An active pen can negate the need for a large surface area, by instead increasing the charge gradient. How many volts did you have to apply, and did you need to oscillate?
I suspect though that I would not like the lack of friction from metal on glass. You might consider a durable soft coating on the ball bearing to approximate the feel of a pencil on paper. That would also address the marketing challange you would face with people worrying about the metal on glass contact.
I don't know what power source you are currently considering, but you might consider in the final design a clip that can plug into the headphone jack and "steal" power to charge the battery. Kill two birds with one stone. Charge the pen, and have a way to clip it to the device.
Always remember, in design a solution that addresses more than one issue is better, and in my mind more elegant.

Yeah, true---but for me to even CONSIDER buying one, it has to be nicer to grasp with my hand. I think it is an interesting idea, but seems to be a long way from marketabe.

brendankiely

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There aren't too many good iPad pens around. It took me a while to find a really good one.

The AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices is exactly what I was looking for. It has a great price tag as well.

rdaniel1635

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That thing is pretty awesome, one of the problems with available stylus at this point is they obstruct the field of view, good work! Why so big though that thing is huge??

Most reactions

Latest posts