What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evernote : How do you use it? : Tips and Tricks

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't imagine it is the links themselves causing problems. It's got to be something up with the note or notebook itself. Try creating a new note in a notebooke that you know syncs, then copy & paste the not-syncing note's contents to the new note.

Thanks mate, I am trying what you suggest. I've pasted a hyperlink into a note which synced. I have also typed some plain text into a different note which synced.

Neither note has been saved / synced yet. I will check in a few minutes....

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, here is the sync problem in pictures. To save 3K words :)

image-4225294312.jpg

image-704482567.jpg

image-4229465425.jpg

I copied one note into a pages document. The note is full of hyperlinks. The Pages document saves, and the hyperlinks work when livened up :) here is part of the document

image-1512856463.jpg

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK, here is the sync problem in pictures. To save 3K words :)

I copied one note into a pages document. The note is full of hyperlinks. The Pages document saves, and the hyperlinks work when livened up :) here is part of the document

Looks like you now have several notes that will not sync. The question is, what do they all have in common. Check the info on each of them and see if you can find something that the same in each of them and try changing that/those things until you find what is stopping the sync.

Other than contacting Evernote support, that is all I can think of.

A link is just text. Evernote may or may not recognize it as a link, but there is no reason for text content to interfere with a sync. The fact that the problem started with a note with links in it is probably a coincidence. The real problem is elsewhere.

I may be wrong about this, but I'm going to be extremely surprised if I am.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help Twerppoet

I will continue digging for the problem along the lines that you suggest. I'll post any useful updates :)

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like you now have several notes that will not sync. The question is, what do they all have in common. Check the info on each of them and see if you can find something that the same in each of them and try changing that/those things until you find what is stopping the sync.

Other than contacting Evernote support, that is all I can think of.

A link is just text. Evernote may or may not recognize it as a link, but there is no reason for text content to interfere with a sync. The fact that the problem started with a note with links in it is probably a coincidence. The real problem is elsewhere.

I may be wrong about this, but I'm going to be extremely surprised if I am.

Hi there Twerppoet. I have finally cracked my problem of sync'ing notes.

First of all, Evernote support said that it looked as if I had exceeded my monthly notes space allowance. I couldn't see why.

Then, a few days ago I checked the trash folder to find it contained several copies of a note with a very large PDF attachment. I restored the handful of useful notes from trash to their original folders. I then emptied trash and all is hunky dory.

It's as you suspected, the real problem was not to do with hyperlinks.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi there Twerppoet. I have finally cracked my problem of sync'ing notes.

First of all, Evernote support said that it looked as if I had exceeded my monthly notes space allowance. I couldn't see why.

Then, a few days ago I checked the trash folder to find it contained several copies of a note with a very large PDF attachment. I restored the handful of useful notes from trash to their original folders. I then emptied trash and all is hunky dory.

It's as you suspected, the real problem was not to do with hyperlinks.

I'm glad you figured it out. I had no idea.

There isn't supposed to be a limit on the total number of notes you can have, just how much you can upload per month (5GB for the premium account). But I suppose there probably are upper limits to how many files (or whatever) can be stored in a single folder/notebook. A system limitation rather than an account type limitation. I know there are a maximum number of notebooks, but it's ridiculously high, over 200.

Thanks to you, if I have any problems I'll be looking at my trash folder to see how big it's gotten.

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i just noticed, I didnt know everything about Evernote. hahaha. Glad i saw this post

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had evernote and dumped it. Couldn't figure out how to make it work for me. What id like to be able to do is- make folders that can contain a txt file, picture and PDF in one folder. Can anyone shed some light "for dummies" on how to do this? Its been a long time now since I've used it and cannot remember which one of those i had trouble with.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Evernote isn't really a folder system, though notes can contain files/attachments, even more than one. Getting more than one attachment into a Evernote note varies, depending on how you are adding it, so it's kind of hard to give you a 'method'. However, you can always merge notes. If you have multiple notes with all the attachments you want, you select them all and merge them.

Unfortunately it can't be done in the iPad or iPhone apps. You have to do it on a computer client, or the website. This isn't a hassle for me, because I usually review my notes each day on the computer, to merge, delete, or tweak them for long term storage. It's just part of my workflow. I've joined a couple Kickstarter projects. When updates arrive by email I forward them to Evernote. Next time I'm cleaning up on the computer I merge them with the main note for that project.

In my experience not usually necessary to add multiple attachments to a single note. Evernote's search is powerful, and as long as I've named or tagged a note with something I'll remember, I can find it without any trouble. I've spent considerable time figuring out my tags, for the most common stuff and categories. Other than than that, a good title is all I need.

To make non-search browsing easier, I've also spent some time organizing my notebooks and stacks. During my review process I make sure each note gets in the right stack. For instance, I have a Life stack. In it I've keep several notebooks that relate to my day to day activities, like Journal, Photos, Health, Exercise, etc. This lets me specific types of activities, or of I just want a general rundown of what I was doing on a specific day I can view the entire stack as a kind of timeline of what I considered important enough to record.

I also create Project notebooks for long term tasks. Right now I have one for building some steps, and another for a fence. I keep them both in a Project stack, so I know where to find them quickly. That makes it fairly easy to find all my related attachments quickly. If I ever get too many Project notebooks to easily track, I'll just create a new stack named Old Projects, and stuff the no longer active projects there.

Stacks, like merging, only work on the computer or website, for now.

That said, if you're primary purpose is to group related files together in folders, I recommend you look at GoodReader. This is about as close as you can come to a file system on the iPad. It's main strength is PDF, but it will store just about anything, and view/play most file types.

You can even use it in conjunction with Evernote. GoodReader will let you create a local link to files it stores. You can paste these into Evernote. When tapped they open GoodReader to the linked file. I don't use this (neat as it is) because it will only work when viewing notes on the iPad. That would mean my notes would not be able to access those files on the computer or iPhone. But if all you use is the iPad, it's a handy way to do what you want, and have nice searchable notes as well.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your explanation and suggestions. I used Goodreader for quite a long time but have since switched to Documents, or the old Readdledocs which is great. Great for pdf's but not very text friendly. I reinstalled Evernote and am going to give it another go. I do think some of the features I'm looking for might be pc only which is a bummer but ill check into the web version too.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your explanation and suggestions. I used Goodreader for quite a long time but have since switched to Documents, or the old Readdledocs which is great. Great for pdf's but not very text friendly. I reinstalled Evernote and am going to give it another go. I do think some of the features I'm looking for might be pc only which is a bummer but ill check into the web version too.

I have iFiles which runs a good folder system for documents, photos and videos.

I cannot get it to integrate with some apps, such as Photos. Apart from that, it's a nice utility.

Last edited:

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If i email something into Evernote, it will go into all notes even if i specify the notebook name. So, is their a way to transfer notes between note books?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use it when cutting and pasting items from multiple sources into my posts.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If i email something into Evernote, it will go into all notes even if i specify the notebook name. So, is their a way to transfer notes between note books?

Sure. On the iPad, when on the iPad, open a note. At the top right of the note, you should see a gray circle with the letter "i" in it; press the circle. The top line of the pop-up that appears tells you in which notebook that note is.

If you press that line, you'll get another page to the pop-up that will list all your notebooks. Pressing on any of that list items will make the note's address change (you can check it by going back to that first pop-up). Then, once you've moved the note, tap outside of the pop-up. You'll still have that note opened, but it will have been moved to the new notebook.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

P.S. And - Evernote IS going to show all your notes in the "All Notes" category. That's just Evernote's way. I find it's handy to use that option to search all of Evernote. If you'll notice, notes will show in their own notebook and "all notes." It's a feature, not a bug.

Most reactions

Latest posts