1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Evernote : How do you use it? : Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by twerppoet, Mar 8, 2013.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    A thread to share ideas, tips, and tricks on how to use the popular and ubiquitous app, Evernote.

I tend to go on and on about Evernote whenever the opportunity arises. It is one of my favorite tools. I've decided to limit my babbling to a thread that I can point at whenever it seems appropriate. Rather than make one humongous post, I'm going to try and add something every few days.

More than that, though, I'd like other people to share their knowledge and ideas. Please.

While I've got what I think are a few really good tricks, I'm betting that I've only scratched the surface of how and what Evernote can be used for.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. dianne137

dianne137 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0
    that's grand .I'll be reading!
  3. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +968 / 0
    Thank you for starting this thread, Twerppoet! This will certainly help a lot! :)
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    The Evernote email address.

An Evernote account comes with an email address you can use to send files and content to your Inbox, or other default notebook. That's the basics, and it's pretty handy by itself; but there are a few extras and tricks that can make this feature more powerful and easier to use.

First, create a contact in the Contacts app just for the Evernote email address. This lets you search for and enter it into the TO: field of an email quickly.

Now that it is easy to find and use the address, things start to get interesting.

By entering special characters in the subject line of the email, you can send the content to specific notebooks and add tags. Just add the @ symbol and notebook name at the end of the normal subject line to specify the notebook like this "@notebook". After the notebook name you can add any number of tags using the # sign, like this: #books #sciencefiction #ibooks. These can be used to quickly filter and search for notes in Evernote.

A subject line that looks like this "Ready Player One by Ernest Cline @Wishlist #books #sciencefiction #ibooks" will send a note titled "Ready Player One by Ernest Cline" to the Wishlist notebook with the tags books, sciencefiction, and ibooks. If you mess up, it's not a big deal. The note goes to the InBox instead, where you can clean up the Subject line and move it to the right notebook.

If you've got a notebook in Evernote that you use a lot, you can make this even easier using the Shortcuts feature under Settings > General > Keyboard. I've got a fitness monitoring app named Moves. I like to send my daily and weekly reports to a notebook named Exercises. This is a picture/map of my days activities. Very little changes in the Subject line, so I've created a couple of shortcuts. The one I use the most is 'mvd', which stands for "Moves Daily". It expands out to "Moves Daily 0000 @Exercise #walk".

When I email the app's report I tap the TO line and start to enter Evernote, then tap the email address as soon as it appears. Next I tap the Subject line, enter 'mvd' and a space (so that it expands). A quick double tap of '0000' selects that part of the line, letting me quickly replace it with the number of steps for that day, say 4312 for example. Send the email.

The note goes to my Exercise folder in Evernote with the Title "Moves Daily 4312" and the contents will be the picture. It will have the tag "walk" so that I can quickly filter any view in Evernote to see only notes about walking.

This is only one way to use the email address. Basically any app or consent you can email, you can send to Evernote. Since almost all apps that can export or share content have an email option, this is a very versatile and powerful feature. You can even forward emails to the Evernote address, giving you a way to create a record of conversations or other important information.

Ok, I'm typed out for the day.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    No problem. Hold in mind I'm not just hoping for tip and tricks. I also want to know what people are using Evernote for, and how. I'm betting that will become a springboard for others to find new ways to use the app.

That will probably be my next post. What I use Evernote for, and how.
  6. LannyC

LannyC iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +323 / 0
    Please do. I deleted Evernote, since it seemed a solution in search of a problem.

Of course, that could be because my life is an empty shell, devoid of interesting details... :)

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.
  7. dianne137

dianne137 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0
    Mine too Lanny.I just flag everything and I know it will eventually fill my mailbox then I'll have to act fast.
  8. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I use two different PCs, a Mac, an iPhone and an iPad in my work and home lives.

Evernote seamlessly syncs notes across all of these devices, and as such I have what I need where I am, when I need it.

This tax season - just as an example - I needed to collect W2, 1099 and other electronic tax documents from a number of sources for myself and my kids.

Keeping these together - along with notes on specific actions that were interesting for tax purposes and other little things like excise tax - was a great job for Evernote.

I both emailed documents to Evernote and simply created or copied them there. Pictures, spreadsheets, notes, all in one place.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    Thanks. Having stuff everywhere is definitely one of the biggest advantages, and the one that convinced me to give it a try in the first place.
  10. skimonkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +968 / 0
    I have Evernote on my desktop, my MacBook Air, my iPhone, and my iPad. As thewitt stated earlier, it all works together very well when you create a note or update a notebook on one device.

My latest use is capturing screen shots of recipes to use later that evening. With my busy schedule, often times I am wondering what I will make that evening with the things I took out to defrost. So if I see something on the net that might be a possibility, I take a screen shot of it. I add the link to it and also add notes to after making it to add certain variations for next time.

Here's an example of one of my Cookbook recipes:

image-4111427279.jpg

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF
    • Like Like x 2
  11. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Check out Evernote Food....
  12. skimonkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +968 / 0
    I saw that before-the reviews aren't very good yet!
  13. mdholm

mdholm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Exactly! I guess I'm just not busy enough for Evernote because I've never been able to find a use for it. Seems like most everyone else uses it, though.
  14. goofy8275

goofy8275 iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +168 / 0
    Evernote can be a useful study tool for students. You can make a notebook, with individual notes in it as flash cards (side 1 as the title, side 2 as the body). Using a free app called Evernote Peek, you can do flash cards on the iPad. It works with the Smart Cover (or a virtual onscreen one if you don't have one). The app even has many free notebooks you can download, including languages, food, and geography.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    I've been playing with this as a supplement to learning Spanish on Duolingo. It hasn't hurt, though I probably learn more by making my own cards than using them. Of course this was true when I used to make real flash cards too. :)
  16. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    Things I do with Evernote: Part I

My uses for Evernote were pretty basic at first, but they grew. Eventually I took a day to re-think how I wanted it to work, and then reorganized and cleaned things up to match. Pretty much eveything I do and how I set it up came from ideas I gained from reading Evernote blog posts and Paperless Ambassador articles. I keep an eye out for interesting ones by following their Twitter account.

So first, organization:

Stacks are basically folders of notebooks. On the iPad you create them with the familiar drag and drop method. Drag one notebook on top of another to create a stack, or other notebooks into an existing stack.

You can use them any old way you want, but I created mine based on areas of responsibility or interests, projects, document collections, and app specific. Here are my stacks.

* App Stack: For notebooks that work with a specific app.

* backups (for sending emailed backup files from the Budget Envelopes app)
    * Contacts (playing with Evernote Hello to see if I find it useful)
    * Penultimate (auto saves Penultimate notebooks)
    * Reeder (where stuff goes if you save it to Evernote from the Reeder app)
    * Scanner Pro (place you can send scanned documents)
    * Skitch (where all Skitch documents end up)

* Geek Stack: iPad, iOS, computer, and tech stuff

* iPadForum
    * MyWeb
    * OSX
    * Programing

* Life Stack: For general stuff I do every day and want to track, or whatever.

* CookBook (playing with Evernote Food, to see if I find it useful)
    * Exersize (log for walking and other activities)
    * Journal (because I'm always going to start keeping one)
    * Pic-a-Day (stopped doing this after a week *sigh*)
    * Poem-a-Day (stopped doing this after two days *double sigh*)

* List Stack: What it says.

* Ideas (whenever I have an idea I want to jot down)
    * WishList (stuff I might want to buy later)

* Ref Stack: For documents and other information I may need on a moment's notice.

* Ref (catch all)
    * Vehicles (my vehicle registration, license plate, insurance cards, etc.: for quick lookup of stuff)

* Spanish Stack: For my own Evernote Peek notebooks/cards.

* Spanish Phrases
    * Spanish Vocabulary (this is getting too big and needs to be broken up)

* Work Stack: For work related stuff.

* JobSearch (title says it all)
    * Northworld (documents and notes about the RV Park)

I'm not going to go into how I use (or intended to use) each notebook. I'll just cover the ones I use the most.

The App Stack is the Evernote destination of other apps, if they don't fit well in one of my other categories. The only one that gets a workout is Skitch, and that is mostly automatic. It's handy because I now have an archive of every skitched document I post to the forum, and that archive is available on all my devices and computers.

In the Geek Stack the big notebook is iPadFourm. There are all kinds of notes here, and I update them often. Mostly these make it easier to keep up with the forum and save time. If you see a lot of repetition in my posts (links, paragraphs, etc.) this is why. I'm lazy.

I have several lists of links (with descriptions) for any sites that I think are handy, get referred to a lot, or I just want to keep an eye on. The three main lists are for Apple's site, useful iPadForum threads, and other iPad/iOS related stuff from Google and other tech sources.

I also keep a few lists for iPadForum threads that I may want to visit repeatedly.

* Favorites (like photo, music, reading, games, etc.)
    * My Threads (threads I've started and may want to make future posts in; like this one)
    * Temp Links (for threads I want to reply to, but don't have the time or energy at the moment)
    * Share Links (for links to stuff I want to share more than once from one of my cloud services)

If I end up answering the same question multiple times, and think I've done a fairly good job of it, I may save a version of the post in a note. I try to keep these up to date, but I'm not very good at it. The Usual Fixes I sometimes add to the end of replies is one of these.

Finally, I'll save a article from a website if I think the topic is likely to useful later. Every so often (or not so often) I go back and delete the ones that are out of date or no longer look to be useful. Often, I regret this a few weeks or months later.

This post is now overly long, and I don't want to invoke the TLTR (To Long To Read) reflex, so I'll come back and explain how I use some of the other notebooks another time; though you can get a pretty good idea just by through my stack/notebook outline at the beginning of the post. I try to make things obvious, at least to myself.

P.S. I composed this as a note in Evernote, because I knew it was going to be long, and I was afraid to trust it to the website editor. I've lost long posts that way before, though not often. Puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. Besides, it's pretty good text editor, both on the computer and iPad.

P.P.S. And had to go back and clean things up because the outline didn't paste properly.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  17. goofy8275

goofy8275 iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +168 / 0
    Whew, finally got my Evernote password updated into Skitch and Penultimate.
    Redownloading the Evernote app. After reading these posts, I'm inspired to give it another try :)
    • Like Like x 2
  18. russ331

russ331 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I've had Evernote on my PC since December 2008, & have created 1,232 Notes since then.

When I bought my iPad in May last year, I was thrilled to find I could access Evernote through the free App.

I've read about various tips & tricks, but remain happy to stuff nearly everything into one main Notebook. Never had a problem finding a note, thanks to the excellent search facility.

I would urge people to try Evernote, even if they think they have no use for it. My girlfriend was in the "don't need it" camp, until I showed her mine. Now she's a convert, & the Evernote App Icon is in the bottom tray of her iPad's home screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    • Like Like x 4
  19. goofy8275

goofy8275 iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +168 / 0
    At the moment, I have four notebooks in Evernote: iPF, To Do, Wish List, and Random Notes. For the To Do notebook, I just put the item in the title of the note and leave the body blank. If more detail is required, I will put it in the body.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. mdholm

mdholm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    So, Evernote, Penultimate, and Skitch are connected to each other?