What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evernote : How do you use it? : Tips and Tricks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A thread to share ideas, tips, and tricks on how to use the popular and ubiquitous app, Evernote.

I tend to go on and on about Evernote whenever the opportunity arises. It is one of my favorite tools. I've decided to limit my babbling to a thread that I can point at whenever it seems appropriate. Rather than make one humongous post, I'm going to try and add something every few days.

More than that, though, I'd like other people to share their knowledge and ideas. Please.

While I've got what I think are a few really good tricks, I'm betting that I've only scratched the surface of how and what Evernote can be used for.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread, Twerppoet! This will certainly help a lot! :)

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Evernote email address.

An Evernote account comes with an email address you can use to send files and content to your Inbox, or other default notebook. That's the basics, and it's pretty handy by itself; but there are a few extras and tricks that can make this feature more powerful and easier to use.

First, create a contact in the Contacts app just for the Evernote email address. This lets you search for and enter it into the TO: field of an email quickly.

Now that it is easy to find and use the address, things start to get interesting.

By entering special characters in the subject line of the email, you can send the content to specific notebooks and add tags. Just add the @ symbol and notebook name at the end of the normal subject line to specify the notebook like this "@notebook". After the notebook name you can add any number of tags using the # sign, like this: #books #sciencefiction #ibooks. These can be used to quickly filter and search for notes in Evernote.

A subject line that looks like this "Ready Player One by Ernest Cline @Wishlist #books #sciencefiction #ibooks" will send a note titled "Ready Player One by Ernest Cline" to the Wishlist notebook with the tags books, sciencefiction, and ibooks. If you mess up, it's not a big deal. The note goes to the InBox instead, where you can clean up the Subject line and move it to the right notebook.

If you've got a notebook in Evernote that you use a lot, you can make this even easier using the Shortcuts feature under Settings > General > Keyboard. I've got a fitness monitoring app named Moves. I like to send my daily and weekly reports to a notebook named Exercises. This is a picture/map of my days activities. Very little changes in the Subject line, so I've created a couple of shortcuts. The one I use the most is 'mvd', which stands for "Moves Daily". It expands out to "Moves Daily 0000 @Exercise #walk".

When I email the app's report I tap the TO line and start to enter Evernote, then tap the email address as soon as it appears. Next I tap the Subject line, enter 'mvd' and a space (so that it expands). A quick double tap of '0000' selects that part of the line, letting me quickly replace it with the number of steps for that day, say 4312 for example. Send the email.

The note goes to my Exercise folder in Evernote with the Title "Moves Daily 4312" and the contents will be the picture. It will have the tag "walk" so that I can quickly filter any view in Evernote to see only notes about walking.

This is only one way to use the email address. Basically any app or consent you can email, you can send to Evernote. Since almost all apps that can export or share content have an email option, this is a very versatile and powerful feature. You can even forward emails to the Evernote address, giving you a way to create a record of conversations or other important information.

Ok, I'm typed out for the day.

Last edited:
OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
that's grand .I'll be reading!

Thank you for starting this thread, Twerppoet! This will certainly help a lot! :)

No problem. Hold in mind I'm not just hoping for tip and tricks. I also want to know what people are using Evernote for, and how. I'm betting that will become a springboard for others to find new ways to use the app.

That will probably be my next post. What I use Evernote for, and how.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Please do. I deleted Evernote, since it seemed a solution in search of a problem.

Of course, that could be because my life is an empty shell, devoid of interesting details... :)

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

dianne137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine too Lanny.I just flag everything and I know it will eventually fill my mailbox then I'll have to act fast.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use two different PCs, a Mac, an iPhone and an iPad in my work and home lives.

Evernote seamlessly syncs notes across all of these devices, and as such I have what I need where I am, when I need it.

This tax season - just as an example - I needed to collect W2, 1099 and other electronic tax documents from a number of sources for myself and my kids.

Keeping these together - along with notes on specific actions that were interesting for tax purposes and other little things like excise tax - was a great job for Evernote.

I both emailed documents to Evernote and simply created or copied them there. Pictures, spreadsheets, notes, all in one place.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use two different PCs, a Mac, an iPhone and an iPad in my work and home lives.

Evernote seamlessly syncs notes across all of these devices, and as such I have what I need where I am, when I need it.

This tax season - just as an example - I needed to collect W2, 1099 and other electronic tax documents from a number of sources for myself and my kids.

Keeping these together - along with notes on specific actions that were interesting for tax purposes and other little things like excise tax - was a great job for Evernote.

I both emailed documents to Evernote and simply created or copied them there. Pictures, spreadsheets, notes, all in one place.

Thanks. Having stuff everywhere is definitely one of the biggest advantages, and the one that convinced me to give it a try in the first place.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have Evernote on my desktop, my MacBook Air, my iPhone, and my iPad. As thewitt stated earlier, it all works together very well when you create a note or update a notebook on one device.

My latest use is capturing screen shots of recipes to use later that evening. With my busy schedule, often times I am wondering what I will make that evening with the things I took out to defrost. So if I see something on the net that might be a possibility, I take a screen shot of it. I add the link to it and also add notes to after making it to add certain variations for next time.

Here's an example of one of my Cookbook recipes:

image-4111427279.jpg

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please do. I deleted Evernote, since it seemed a solution in search of a problem.

Of course, that could be because my life is an empty shell, devoid of interesting details... :)

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Exactly! I guess I'm just not busy enough for Evernote because I've never been able to find a use for it. Seems like most everyone else uses it, though.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Evernote can be a useful study tool for students. You can make a notebook, with individual notes in it as flash cards (side 1 as the title, side 2 as the body). Using a free app called Evernote Peek, you can do flash cards on the iPad. It works with the Smart Cover (or a virtual onscreen one if you don't have one). The app even has many free notebooks you can download, including languages, food, and geography.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .Using a free app called Evernote Peek, you can do flash cards on the iPad. It works with the Smart Cover (or a virtual onscreen one if you don't have one). The app even has many free notebooks you can download, including languages, food, and geography.

I've been playing with this as a supplement to learning Spanish on Duolingo. It hasn't hurt, though I probably learn more by making my own cards than using them. Of course this was true when I used to make real flash cards too. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts