What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funily enough i was at the apple store today and a lady bought her ipad 2 with a nasty crack on it, and in front of my eyes it got replaced by another ipad2 for free, the replacement ipad2 was in a brown box so could not tell if was new or refurbished. It had the plastic wrapper on it and the box had no charger or cable connector. It was a straight swap as far as i could tell

RIP Steve Jobs 

mossfur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had 2 ipads replaced at the Apple Store ,the first was a wi-fi problem and the second a drop on cement, at the store i told the rep that this was the worst day of my life and that i had flat out had a senior moment and dropped my beloved ipad on the pavement. In both cases i had the AppleCARE+ plan,which i am not sure was a factor,i think the honesty and respect i showed these reps helped some.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mossfur said:
I have had 2 ipads replaced at the Apple Store ,the first was a wi-fi problem and the second a drop on cement, at the store i told the rep that this was the worst day of my life and that i had flat out had a senior moment and dropped my beloved ipad on the pavement. In both cases i had the AppleCARE+ plan,which i am not sure was a factor,i think the honesty and respect i showed these reps helped some.

Good stuff. I had a similar experience back in December (though it was my cat that did the deed). You're right...honesty, politeness and sincerity helps and I think so to a great deal. I didn't even have AppleCare+ when I went to the Apple Store (3 hours away). How much they help with consumer-fault issues may vary from person-to-person and from store-to-store. But, in every case, being nice and being real about the matter goes a long way because I'm sure those folks deal with a lot of janky, rude and sometimes downright mean customers, not to mention all the usual work stresses. My mother was a waitress when we were kids and she used to say that although tips helped, she'd MUCH rather not get any tips and just have nice customers to deal with to make her long shifts go by easier. Ditto for me...if someone is polite, respectful and sincere, I'm more apt to do a little extra for them.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received a replacement once for a very minor back light bleeding screen issue with no hesitation. The new one has none at all. They did the wright thing.
I do get a little freaked out by those over zealous floor reps who speak into their shirt collars and like to preach hw the pc is dead. I know just how to push their buttons. I get a kick out of going there. They are just trying to do what's expected of them but it's fun to mess wit em. Not much else to say but it's a mega company who tries to act like a mom and pop general store. You gotta love that in this day and age. Don't expect free anything. Treat your stuff like 5 to 800. Electronics. Take precautions and don't expect free anymore. If your lucky maybe. They know everyone seems to expect it nw. It's a dam courtesy. Forget about it.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Slimseven said:
I received a replacement once for a very minor back light bleeding screen issue with no hesitation. The new one has none at all. They did the wright thing.
I do get a little freaked out by those over zealous floor reps who speak into their shirt collars and like to preach hw the pc is dead. I know just how to push their buttons. I get a kick out of going there. They are just trying to do what's expected of them but it's fun to mess wit em. Not much else to say but it's a mega company who tries to act like a mom and pop general store. You gotta love that in this day and age. Don't expect free anything. Treat your stuff like 5 to 800. Electronics. Take precautions and don't expect free anymore. If your lucky maybe. They know everyone seems to expect it nw. It's a dam courtesy. Forget about it.

They're working stiffs, trying to earn an honest wage to put food on the table, just like you and I. Regardless of what their bosses tell them to do and how to do it, there's no need to jerk them around. If you have an issue with Apple Corporation, take it up with Tim Cook and the Board of Directors. Your attitude is saying it's okay for a customer to take his/her frustration with your employer's company out on you. You wouldn't think it was fair. So why do you feel it's okay for you to do it? Try dealing with a lot of mean customers who expect the world to be handed to them on a silver platter just the way they like it every day and see how long your niceness and professionalism toward "good" customers continues.

Besides...they replaced your iPad based upon a WARRANTY issue, as per your purchase contract with Apple. The discussion thread here is about damages NOT caused by Apple, but rather the customer, as well as the replacements that may or may not occur as a result.

But you're right about two things:

1) don't expect free anything.

and

2) it's a courtesy replacement if the damage is the fault of anyone else other than Apple's

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

spoiled1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow well i jus went to the apple store yesterday n i hav an appt today upon to talkin to one f the employee she said tht she didnt think tht accidential was coverage oncracked screens and tht i would hav to pay...but im goin today n hope tht u are right about the replacement.......

Subarusam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just to add my recent experiences of the Apple Stores in the UK. (Southampton Store) - I recently dropped my iPad 2 which resulted in corner damage and a crack which covered about a square inch. I telephoned my nearest Apple Store which is about 60 miles away and explained the damage I had done and was advised to make an appointment and bring in the iPad. I turned up for the appointment about ten minutes early, "booked" in and then waited for an Adviser. I was eventually seen 20 minutes late ( I am registered disabled and find difficulty in standing for any length of time ). I asked the Adviser if he would look at some photographs which I had recently taken as they were extremely grainy . To say that he was completely uninterested would be an understatement. He eventually deigned to comment and told me "what do you expect it's only a 2 mp camera." I then asked him what my options were as I had damaged the screen as he could see. I explained that I took great care of all of my possessions and was mortified with the damage I had done which was completely down to my own fault, made even worse as the iPad was only three months old. He was complete.y disinterested and informed me that if I paid £249 I could have a replacement iPad. I asked him if it was just possible to replace the screen on my damaged iPad as it was still working ok. He replied that Apple didn't work like that , and that was that ! I have read many times of the fantastic customer service that Apple have - but unfortunately that wasn't what I experienced. My appointment was made mid morning on a Monday and my attitude was very pleasant. I didn't expect for Apple to give me a replacement machine for damage caused by my own carelessness but Apple's policy could have been explained to me over the phone saving me a round trip of 120 miles, and if Apple are at all interested in looking after their customers is it too much to expect them to carry out repairs at a reasonable rate. No - I will not be buying the new iPad !!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Subarusam said:
Hi everyone,

Just to add my recent experiences of the Apple Stores in the UK. (Southampton Store) - I recently dropped my iPad 2 which resulted in corner damage and a crack which covered about a square inch. I telephoned my nearest Apple Store which is about 60 miles away and explained the damage I had done and was advised to make an appointment and bring in the iPad. I turned up for the appointment about ten minutes early, "booked" in and then waited for an Adviser. I was eventually seen 20 minutes late ( I am registered disabled and find difficulty in standing for any length of time ). I asked the Adviser if he would look at some photographs which I had recently taken as they were extremely grainy . To say that he was completely uninterested would be an understatement. He eventually deigned to comment and told me "what do you expect it's only a 2 mp camera." I then asked him what my options were as I had damaged the screen as he could see. I explained that I took great care of all of my possessions and was mortified with the damage I had done which was completely down to my own fault, made even worse as the iPad was only three months old. He was complete.y disinterested and informed me that if I paid £249 I could have a replacement iPad. I asked him if it was just possible to replace the screen on my damaged iPad as it was still working ok. He replied that Apple didn't work like that , and that was that ! I have read many times of the fantastic customer service that Apple have - but unfortunately that wasn't what I experienced. My appointment was made mid morning on a Monday and my attitude was very pleasant. I didn't expect for Apple to give me a replacement machine for damage caused by my own carelessness but Apple's policy could have been explained to me over the phone saving me a round trip of 120 miles, and if Apple are at all interested in looking after their customers is it too much to expect them to carry out repairs at a reasonable rate. No - I will not be buying the new iPad !!

Sorry for your misfortune. Perhaps you can try at another store, if you can. As it has been mentioned throughout this thread, your experience may vary from store to store and from rep to rep. Also emphasized in this thread; Apple is under no obligation whatsoever to replace an iPad that is damaged due to customer fault. In fact, one would be very hard-pressed to find any other company that actively replaces products damaged by customers without some sort of formal (usually purchased) replacement plan in place. Basically, once the customer takes possession, liability for damage (other than that covered under warranty) is no longer the seller's responsibility. That's the norm practically world-wide and is common knowledge to just about every adult. In many cases, this is policy stressed in writing at the time of purchase, usually in the form of fine print on the receipt or sales invoice (typically signed by the customer, as in Apple's case). To even think a company might have an otherwise different policy would seem to be a little foolish. For Apple to even CONSIDER replacing a customer-damaged product with a new unit at half cost, let alone for free, is nothing short of amazing. I know of no other establishment that does this, especially when it involves expensive electronics. As for repairing, this is simply something they choose not to do in-store, for one reason or another (often due to resources, equipment, space, training, parts stock, etc.). By the way, according to Apple-just as with any other company, once you break an item its warranty is technically voided at that point. The implication with that is, basically, who's to say that the damage itself did not cause a certain malfunction normally covered by warranty?

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Contra said:
I don't understand why you guys don't think they would just replace the glass

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Because they don't, well at least not on a customer level, they do the replacements and then the iPad would be fully reconditioned and screen replaced. It would be hard for them to ascertain if there is any internal damage from the drop also. What you can see doesn't mean that there is nothing else broken in the unit.

AmazingGraceTx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I protect this thing like it is the last iPad on earth. I cannot afford to replace as this was a gift!!!
This! I'm reading this thread, and it makes me want to lock my iPad up in a padded box. My biggest fear is dropping it or breaking it somehow.

MiMiRet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Subarusam, We are on the same page. For those of you who preach to us about how wonderful Apple is, well like in LaLa Land if you want, but don't expect me to follow you there. My husband dropped his IPad 2 that he'd had exactly 3 months. Didn't fall very far--not a hard drop. No matter. Has several cracks that go all way across screen. LCD works fine--although cracks are extensive you really can only see them if the light hits it a certain way. IPad still works as it did before drop. Took it to local Apple store, expecting to PAY for glass screen replacement. Was told that they would not, do not replace screen. Instead they "switch out" with you. They'd return the "damaged" one and give me a new one for $249.00 before tax and shipping. Since IPad 3 is now out and I know that I can buy a new IPad 2 for $399.00, I thought this seemed a bit ridiculous and decided to better educate myself on my options. Checked computer repair shop and they wanted $149.00 to replace screen, which would void the 9 months still left on warranty. Spent all morning today on phone. Called what I thought was a different Apple store and chose option of tech support section. That experience took 1 hr, counting all the time I was on hold. First the person answering phone told me I could still buy the warranty plus program for $99.00 which would include 2 accidental damages and would be retroactive to time of purchase 3 months earlier--meaning that it would cover current breakage. Seemed a no-brainer. Get the Warranty Plus and screen replaced for same price a third party replacement would cost. Then he put me on hold and came back to tell me he was wrong. The warranty would not cover this time and that the replacement of the screen would cost me $249.00. Asked to speak to his boss, who gave me the information that I got last time. He also told me (after I asked) that the dropping it and damage would void the remaining 9 months warranty. Finally he told me that they were just a call center contracted by Apple and that an Apple store might be able to give me a better deal. After 1 hr, I find out I'm talking to a call center who knows nothing. Then I googled Apple Corp customer service # and called them. On auto phone, I selected sales because I know someone in sales will always answer. They will always be someone to sell you something. I relayed my frustration and confusion to him (after I assured he was not a call center). Bottom line from him is this: They do not replace screens. They "trade" out IPads. When I directly asked him, he admitted that I would be getting a refubished IPad. They get my 3 month old IPad that will cost them a few dollars to replace screen on and then I will get a "refubrished" one which could be a couple years old. When I pointed that didn't seem to be much of a deal, he assured me that they check everything and put in new parts, etc. before they send them to the warehouse of refubrished IPads from where the switch-out one would be sent. Talk about a scam--a legal scam. And there is nothing we can do about it except bend over because they have a monopoly. So for those of you who think you are getting new IPads, think again. They won't tell you unless you force them to tell you. And he assures me that the warranty is still good although it was dropped. Not sure I believe him. I think the call center had it correct. They don't know enough to "spin" it. Because they told me that it cost $249.00 to replace the screen--they didn't mention switching out to another IPad. I think they usually only replace the screen, send you back your old IPad or else they send you one of the refurbished ones that just had a screen replaced and then they replace the screen on yours and then send it to join the other IPads in the warehouse. My husband says he can use his and will just keep it with the broken screen. If it goes, then he'll just get a new one before he'll let Apple have his IPad of 3 months while we pay them $249.00 plus tax & shipping to get an older IPad. I'd been waiting on Sprint to get an IPhone (won't change my cellular service from Sprint) and had intended to upgrade us to IPhones this spring. Forget it. I'm not dealing with another Apple product. Terrible Customer service but they don't care. They don't have to care. Getting their record profits with bad service. Why should they pay more to deliver better service? Won't happen until they get some competition.

MissAwesome23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if...

What if the iPad 2 is cracked really bad, does that matter? It still works, but it's cracked really really bad. Camera still works, but again, it's really really bad. (Typing on it now, it still works..) Does it matter how much it's broken? Would they still replace it or is there like a limit?

And even though I am planning to pay the 260$ fee to fix it, but I was wondering if I should ask for a free replacement? Ive fixed my iPad before (for free) and the one right now is a replacement...should I even try asking for a free replacement?

One more thing...if I switch it in, broken as it is, and ask to buy the iPad 3, do you know how much the discount would be?

Thank you :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MissAwesome23 said:
What if the iPad 2 is cracked really bad, does that matter? It still works, but it's cracked really really bad. Camera still works, but again, it's really really bad. (Typing on it now, it still works..) Does it matter how much it's broken? Would they still replace it or is there like a limit?

And even though I am planning to pay the 260$ fee to fix it, but I was wondering if I should ask for a free replacement? Ive fixed my iPad before (for free) and the one right now is a replacement...should I even try asking for a free replacement?

One more thing...if I switch it in, broken as it is, and ask to buy the iPad 3, do you know how much the discount would be?

Thank you :)

Do you mean just the screen is really really bad. Shouldn't be any different, 1 crack or 100, still broken.
If you've already had 1 free replacement, I don't like your chances on getting another especially as Apple seem to have all but stopped free replacements.
Do you mean to switch your iPad for the 3 when you go to have it replaced, not sure if Apple will do this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts