ZooGue Case Review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Matth3w, Jun 26, 2010.

1. papa

papa
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Dont you need the straps to hold the cover closed when carrying it? Or is there something else that does that?

2. bookemdano

bookemdano
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm not sure about how others carry it but I don't need a strap to keep it closed since the iPad is pretty much immobile inside the case (snug fit plus strap on the top that secures it). I suppose if it were dropped or something the cover could open up and the ipad could land on the screen, but to me that's not a big deal (of course, ask me again once I've dropped it!).

However, if one did want a strap to keep the case closed it could be designed to be a lot smaller and thinner so as to not interfere with the ability to fold the front of the case flat against the back (something I'm guessing most iPad users will do quite a bit?). I think the straps as they are now were designed primarily for strapping to a car seat headrest--something I'd guess is a boon to those with kids who take long car trips but probably one of the lesser-used features for the rest of us.

In short, I wouldn't call this a deal-breaker at all. It's just a quirk of this particular case (and all cases have quirks). I mainly meant it as a suggestion for a v2 of the ZooGue case.

Edit: Duh, I guess the "workaround" for this is to open up the strap, fold the front cover back, and then re-do the strap on top. A little bit of a nuisance but not a big deal. The back is still not completely flat, as the front cover then sits on top of the kickstand, which is slightly higher than the back cover itself. but it is further back from the right edge and not quite as raised up as the strap is. I'll try it like this for a couple days and report back.

#42 bookemdano, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. papa

papa
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh, don't mind me.. I just thought the straps were the way to secure the top. (I had read somewhere that the apple case has a problem with closing the flap)

I really have no clue since I do not have one.

I have two kids, and honestly, I dont see us using those straps for the car seat thing. They would probably jsut hold it in their laps and pass it around, as they would just argue over which seat it was strapped too.

I dont see the straps to the seat thing as a big selling point. I just thought they might be useful to secure the flap when the case is closed.

But again, all I know about the case is whats in this thread so take my questions with a grain of salt..

4. papa

papa
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The straps to secure it to the seat is not a selling point for me, they could cut them off for all I care, unless they are needed to secure the flap.

Reasons I am interested in this case is:

1) its leather without white stitching, sturdier then the apple case
    2) supposedly solid built and apple case is flimsy
    3) I am told the stand feature of these cases is useful and important
    (this one seems to excel at the kickstand feature)
    4)the price is right, just $10 more then the apple case
    5) no magnets, that I am told can interfer with GPS (I have 3g)
    6) I hope it protects it somewhat from my kids, it covers the entire pad

5. bookemdano

bookemdano
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am with you on every single reason you listed (except #6 as I don't have kids yet). I too can't stand the look of leather with contrasting stitches. I also have a 3G and didn't want any magnets so that is another good thing about this case, and the stand feature is very versatile and sturdy. It's a good case, definitely one for people who prefer function over form. I think if there is a v2 it could be even better if Tim takes some input from the early adopters.

6. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    My retired Apple case warped all the time and the fix was to reshape it. I don't have this problem with my new ZooGue yet but suspect I will due to the pressure from then support latch (for lack of a better term). And when I do, I'll do the same as the 'ole Apple case.

Besides,, we got ZooGue Gen 1..... I'm sure Gen 2, 3, etc...... will be better, better, better :D

#46 CaptKirk, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  7. Ultrimate

Ultrimate
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Great quality pics and very thought out review, however the case makes the iPad too thick, it would be nice if it can detach somehow from the 2 nd layer when u don't need the kick stand and straps or whatever..

Looks good quality, and if I was still in school I would proll buy..

But I got a decent case off ebay for like 6 bucks, does the job, no kickstand tho..

Overall I think this will be very popular case for the iPad, a lil pricey tho.

8. pik0

pik0
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Just got the ZooGue (what the heck does that mean, anyway?!) and I must say, the wifey was very happy. I'm impressed with the fit and finish. Looks great, nice new leather smell. Tried out all the flaps and panels and everything works properly. iPad slips in easily, yet snug enough that it won't fall out. Love the omni angle easel. The head-rest straps make a nice case strap to keep the front cover closed. Not sure if that was intended, but it came naturally.

We were really impressed not only with the case, but also the packaging. Looks like they've taken a page from the Apple play book. Cardboard case is covered in white printed slick paper so it shows the product and usages. Top cover of box has magnetic latch to hold the box closed. Not some flimsy box you throw away. This one is a keeper and will be used to store the ipad, when in the case to keep it safe. Well played...

At $49.94, it's well worth it considering shipping is free. Must have cost $10 to get it to use priority mail. I ordered it on Sunday and it was here by Tuesday.

Well job Tim and team. Hope you sell a million!! Joining mailing list for the free accessories... :)

Piko

9. rle737ng

rle737ng
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just got my case. I can sum it up in one word: Shweeeet.

10. papa

papa
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Pulled the trigger last night. I cannot wait to test it out.