What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colors on the new v7

thebizman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just upgraded to v7 and the colors are really bad. I can't read the notes or the calendar. Is there any way to change them or do I have to go back to v6?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just upgraded to v7 and the colors are really bad. I can't read the notes or the calendar. Is there any way to change them or do I have to go back to v6?

The colors are what Apple has made and there is no going back to iOS 6. Sorry. All I can suggest is to keep using the iPad and hope you get used to it.

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few calendar apps just for this purpose. I get a little tired of looking at the same 'ol calendar so I go back and forth.

This is called easy calendar....it fairly easy to see.

image-3097787965.jpg

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF

L

Lunar

It would seem Apple has someone working for them thats obsessed with the colour white. ;-)

Takeiteazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really hate the colours, the folders I put my apps in are the same colour as my wallpaper so blend in. Is there anyway I can change the colour? Also hate everything white, it hurts my eyes. I know how to turn down the brightness but it makes something's hard to see. DONT LIKE IT :-(

L

Lunar

I really hate the colours, the folders I put my apps in are the same colour as my wallpaper so blend in. Is there anyway I can change the colour? Also hate everything white, it hurts my eyes. I know how to turn down the brightness but it makes something's hard to see. DONT LIKE IT :-(

Sadly there's no option to change colours, so your stuck with it unfortunately, this was one of the reasons I reverted back to iOS6.13 yesterday, but users are saying that's no longer possible now. I thought Apples choice of colours and icon design was awful in v7.

Ticojpunk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too reverted back to 6.1.3 after using 7.0 for about a day. Sad to say anyone wanting to revert now can no longer do it.
If they don't make some serious graphical, interface, and performance changes in a future updates, I'll be running my mini at 6.1.3 indefinitely.

I had planned on upgrading my iPad mini to the 2nd gen when it comes out. After giving iOS 7 a spin on my current mini, that's not gonna happen. Not unless they make some big changes to this OS.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The folders take the color of your background, so I would suggest changing it to darker color.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can improve the overall readability in two ways. Go to Settings > General > Accessability and turn on Increase Contrast and Bold Text. After Bold Text is enabled the iPad will reboot. When it restarts all system fonts and the native apps will have a thicke font. I'm not sure what Increase Contrast does. Either the effect is too subtle for my eyes, or it does not make any differnce on older models like the iPad 3.

You can also increase the font size in the Mail, Contacts, Notes, and to a limited extent the Calendar apps. Choose the Larger Text option in the same place as the other two options.

The Dynamic Text option is intended for third party apps. Any app that supports it will have it's font sixpze increased by this setting when enabled.

The other thing. I've foundpd helps is to use a darker bacground. That won't help with the 'white' apps, but the trancelucent portions of the interface look better, in my oppinion anyway.

Ticojpunk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can improve the overall readability in two ways. Go to Settings > General > Accessability and turn on Increase Contrast and Bold Text. After Bold Text is enabled the iPad will reboot. When it restarts all system fonts and the native apps will have a thicke font. I'm not sure what Increase Contrast does. Either the effect is too subtle for my eyes, or it does not make any differnce on older models like the iPad 3.

You can also increase the font size in the Mail, Contacts, Notes, and to a limited extent the Calendar apps. Choose the Larger Text option in the same place as the other two options.

The Dynamic Text option is intended for third party apps. Any app that supports it will have it's font sixpze increased by this setting when enabled.

The other thing. I've foundpd helps is to use a darker bacground. That won't help with the 'white' apps, but the trancelucent portions of the interface look better, in my oppinion anyway.

It's a shame that we're now discussing workarounds in iOS. The beauty of iOS was always that it "just worked". This is why I reverted to 6 while I still had the opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a shame that we're now discussing workarounds in iOS. The beauty of iOS was always that it "just worked". This is why I reverted to 6 while I still had the opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There were problems when iOS 6 came out too. There were workaround. Somethings things got fixed, some things we got used to. Apple's 'it just works' is a goal, a credo, perhaps even a promise; but the reality is that all operating systems have some problems, especially version x.0.

If iOS 6 or the other version of iOS had 'just worked' then this forum would be a lot smaller.

And I remember quite well all the people who screamed about iOS 6 ruining their iPads, and how they wanted to go back to their beloved iOS 5. This time next year there will be a new round complaining about iOS 8.

My eternal hope is that each year it will be a mostly new group, because the previous bunch have learned that they're not early upgrade compatible. Nothing wrong with that. Matter of fact there's probably more wrong with us crazy people who jump on an upgrade knowing how difficult and/or impossible it will be to go backwards if we don't like it, or everything breaks because it (or the most important app in the world) was not ready.

And if anyone dares say "This would not have happened when Steve Jobs was in charge", I'm blocking them, their mother, and their little dog too. :D

KayoKat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You sound like you're taking this very personally. Yes, upgrades always result in complaints but this issue is serious. One of the main reasons I purchased my ipad was how easy it was on my not so great eyes. That has been taken away with this upgrade. I can't see the dividing lines in Calendar or read the text I've typed in Notes. I also have great difficulty reading just about everything with the very skinny light font. An option to change color schemes and fonts would be greatly appreciated. I've seen this issue brought up a lot so maybe Apple will take pity on us and do something about it. Until that happens, I guess I'll be using my laptop a lot more often. Sad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You sound like you're taking this very personally. Yes, upgrades always result in complaints but this issue is serious. One of the main reasons I purchased my ipad was how easy it was on my not so great eyes. That has been taken away with this upgrade. I can't see the dividing lines in Calendar or read the text I've typed in Notes. I also have great difficulty reading just about everything with the very skinny light font. An option to change color schemes and fonts would be greatly appreciated. I've seen this issue brought up a lot so maybe Apple will take pity on us and do something about it. Until that happens, I guess I'll be using my laptop a lot more often. Sad.

As twerp poet mentioned above, there are ways to fix the light text:

Can't help with the color scheme (the whiteness), but maybe having darker fonts will give a partial help.

In addition, I have seen where people turn the brightness down to make up for the white screens. Maybe that help, too?

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried the suggestions? Are they helping you at all? The Accessibility features were meant for just this kind of thing.

As for the Calendar, it's not popular. I don't care for it much myself, so I went with a third party calendar app. There are lots of them in just about any color/style you want, many sync with the local calendar so you don't have to set things up again.

Notes, again, don't use it much. I like Evernote, but there are tons of note apps out there with every conceivable look and feature set.

My point here is that as long as you're talking about apps, you have options. Don't give up on your iPad just because Jony Ives likes white, perhaps a bit too much. And that iOS 7 went a couple steps too far in the minimalist direction.

As for taking things seriously, perhaps a bit. I don't mind people saying something is not working for them. That's an opportunity to help. I do mind painting the entire OS terrible because of a problem or two, but that's not what inspired my perhaps to serious previous post. What irks me is Apple was soooo good, but now they've completely blown it thing. They never were that good, and they've never completely blown it. (well, not since Scully was outted, that poor scapegoat).

@Ticojpunk: I probably went on way too long considering the length and content of your post. Pleases forgive me for choosing your post to finally say what was on my mind. Even then, it was not meant as a personal attack against you are anyone else. I've spent a bit too much time reading, exploring, and trying to figure out problems on iOS 7 and am about burnt out on it, for now. It makes me touchy. Same thing happened last year.

I'm going to apply the same solution. I'm going to take more walks.

Last edited:

KayoKat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I have tried the contrast and bold solutions and they have helped a bit. I will also look into some alternate apps, too. The white background is a different story. I have a cornea problem that makes bright lights, sun, etc., hard to take. My eyes just don't adapt we'll. I do love my ipad. I've had it for almost a year now. It was my first Apple product and I thought long and hard about the purchase. I'm very hopeful Apple will hear all the negative discussions about the visual aspects of this upgrade and take steps to correct it.

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions.

Most reactions

Latest posts