What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've still to update to iOS6 or should I wait a bit longer.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but SJ never would have let that iOS Maps out the door....without at least calling it a beta. While I still think the old Maps sucked (it was useless to me and forced me to buy Navigon) the loss of SV bites. And, they had to go bragging on how good this new Maps was suppose to be. It seems every time they go bragging on something they get in trouble (remember the brilliant antenna design? (even though there were correct about death-gripping a phone).

On...that graph in the article indicates a drop in satisfaction of 7.75 for iOS 5 to 7.65 for iOS 6. A very slight drop. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but SJ never would have let that iOS Maps out the door....without at least calling it a beta. While I still think the old Maps sucked (it was useless to me and forced me to buy Navigon) the loss of SV bites. And, they had to go bragging on how good this new Maps was suppose to be. It seems every time they go bragging on something they get in trouble (remember the brilliant antenna design? (even though there were correct about death-gripping a phone).

On...that graph in the article indicates a drop in satisfaction of 7.75 for iOS 5 to 7.65 for iOS 6. A very slight drop. :)

I expect PR and marketing people to do their spin jobs, but reality distortion has its limits, lol. For me, functionality is what will always count, on any device.

For lots of users, maps is a key feature on mobile devices, so it hurt to lose functionality. For something like Siri, it doesn't matter as much, because users hadn't come to rely on it and it didn't step back in functionality.

Personally, I didn't notice death grips probs with iPhone 4, but I did notice on iPhone 4S that I got fewer dropped calls and better reception even in the same parking garage that I use all the time. I also noticed that 4S has a much better (louder) speaker than 4. (I'd like to see future iPads get better speakers, too.)

tx00824

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 64GB iPad 3 and have upgraded right on the first day an I hated it, it seems much less sleek in a usage way, it is hard to pinpoint exactly but the most disapointing was the removal of YouTube and google maps which I use a lot. I was lucky enough to downgrade it back to 5.1.1 before it was blocked by apple. So for me it is waiting for all the fixes of IOS and most important for Google to release YouTube and maps app as apple maps are useless TOTALY. Some people might argue but truth is they only work in very big cities and popular areas of the world which is not what I need.

So to conclude, I'll say simply Don't do it yet, WAIT!

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
tx00824 said:
I have 64GB iPad 3 and have upgraded right on the first day an I hated it, it seems much less sleek in a usage way, it is hard to pinpoint exactly but the most disapointing was the removal of YouTube and google maps which I use a lot. I was lucky enough to downgrade it back to 5.1.1 before it was blocked by apple. So for me it is waiting for all the fixes of IOS and most important for Google to release YouTube and maps app as apple maps are useless TOTALY. Some people might argue but truth is they only work in very big cities and popular areas of the world which is not what I need.

So to conclude, I'll say simply Don't do it yet, WAIT!

I've been using iOS 6 for a while now. Since I use an iPhone too, the interoperability of the system is important to me, and iOS 6 adds further refinement in this direction. Now, I can pick up either device, and the websites I have open on one are available on the other. Big improvement. Mail allows for bold, italic, underline, attachments in a more normal way and email signatures, so my business recipients no longer need to read my comedic signature that my friends are subjected to. Notepad has been tidied up. It looks good now, and syncs between devices.

YouTube is available, and more than adequately covered by apps such as Jasmine and Youplayer, and iOS will still allow you to upload your own videos directly to YouTube.

Google Maps are available. In some cases Apple Maps are better. I use whatever maps serve me best at the time, and I drive in every conceivable type of area from inner city to hundreds of kilometers off road. Sometimes, satellite view is the only option available, and believe me, Google can be very sketchy when it comes to satellite images.

I was even convinced to open a Twitter account to go along with the Facebook account I never use. Maybe it's useful, maybe not. I don't know, but iOS integrates both, and seems to do it OK.

Privacy is useful. I like to know which apps are accessing my contacts, etc. in Canada, we take privacy very seriously, and have a duty to restrict other people's data with which we have been entrusted. iOS 6 makes this easier.

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. For me, iOS 6 is a big improvement. I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I've been using iOS 6 for a while now. Since I use an iPhone too, the interoperability of the system is important to me, and iOS 6 adds further refinement in this direction. Now, I can pick up either device, and the websites I have open on one are available on the other. Big improvement. Mail allows for bold, italic, underline, attachments in a more normal way and email signatures, so my business recipients no longer need to read my comedic signature that my friends are subjected to. Notepad has been tidied up. It looks good now, and syncs between devices.

YouTube is available, and more than adequately covered by apps such as Jasmine and Youplayer, and iOS will still allow you to upload your own videos directly to YouTube.

Google Maps are available. In some cases Apple Maps are better. I use whatever maps serve me best at the time, and I drive in every conceivable type of area from inner city to hundreds of kilometers off road. Sometimes, satellite view is the only option available, and believe me, Google can be very sketchy when it comes to satellite images.

I was even convinced to open a Twitter account to go along with the Facebook account I never use. Maybe it's useful, maybe not. I don't know, but iOS integrates both, and seems to do it OK.

Privacy is useful. I like to know which apps are accessing my contacts, etc. in Canada, we take privacy very seriously, and have a duty to restrict other people's data with which we have been entrusted. iOS 6 makes this easier.

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. For me, iOS 6 is a big improvement. I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Hi,
It seems like most of us Canadians who have already upgraded our Apple devices to iOS 6, are more than satisfied.
I know I have not encountered any of the problems that so many others have experienced.
I do lose my wifi on occasion, but thats not enough of a concern to complain and moan about.

Chas

BlueSky77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
<snip>
I do lose my wifi on occasion, but thats not enough of a concern to complain and moan about.

Chas

That one statement above is enough to keep me from upgrading. Even if there were absolutely no other issues reported. I had an android tablet for several months prior to buying my iPad. During that time I constantly struggled to maintain a wifi connection even in my home. That's one of the reasons why I got rid of it... unreliable wifi. When I got the iPad, it was a huge relief to not have to worry about losing wifi connectivity. It's SOLID! I'm sticking with 5.1.1 as stated earlier. I can live without the bells and whistles of iOS 6 for the time being.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It basically boils down to uses and preferences.

I don't care about Twitter or Facebook at all. I know how to use them and I have accounts, because I like to know how things work and not live under a rock, lol, but they don't factor in for me at all.

I don't use my iPhone and iPad to hop back and forth on.

All I need from YouTube is for it to launch when someone sends me a link. I rarely use it otherwise.

I love maps, because I travel a lot, especially to unfamiliar places. I use iPad to plan trips and look for places, and I like my Garmin GPSs for turn by turn.

If I suddenly wake up one day and decide that I must have 6, I can upgrade at any time. For now, I've seen no incentive after having test driven iOS 6 on my touch 4. The one thing I really like is not signing in to update apps, which isn't a big deal to me.

Ultimately, what's important is knowing what works for the individual user. I'm happy with iOS 5.1.1 on iPad and iPhone, and recommend that other users use whatever works best for them -- 5.1.1 or 6. The key thing is not cluelessly updatling and then regretting it, because you can't downgrade.

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Individual preferences aside, as a general rule I feel it is always best to be on the newest version of an OS when possible - one of the major pluses of Apple over Android devices - that said, I often feel that many of the updates and add ons to OSs of any type are all too often gimmicky & aimed at a certain "type" of user rather than the majority who prize reliability, functionality & smoothness over the ability to do lots of things that to me anyway seem pretty pointless. That is not to say those who think they are useful shouldn't make their own choices, of course :)

Personally, I don't use Facebook or Twitter, have no use for PhotoStream or Siri & don't even use the Camera Roll, because it is too restrictive & woefully outdated in terms of its 8.3 file name requirements.

What I would like to see in the next OS update is the option to permanently turn off GameCentre, the option of a number row on the soft keyboard, the option to download & save a pdf from the web rather than having it open in the browser, instant App Store / iTunes store email invoicing & charging rather than weekly accounting & the ability to copy a purchased iTunes movie from my iPad to my NAS directly - even if to view it I had to stream it back through my iPad or Apple TV.

But that's just me :)

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have update my iPad3 along with 3-iPhone4's and an iPhone4S and have had no issues, and have an Iphone5 that I love. No regrets on the update here.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Individual preferences aside, as a general rule I feel it is always best to be on the newest version of an OS when possible - one of the major pluses of Apple over Android devices - that said, I often feel that many of the updates and add ons to OSs of any type are all too often gimmicky & aimed at a certain "type" of user rather than the majority who prize reliability, functionality & smoothness over the ability to do lots of things that to me anyway seem pretty pointless. That is not to say those who think they are useful shouldn't make their own choices, of course :)

Personally, I don't use Facebook or Twitter, have no use for PhotoStream or Siri & don't even use the Camera Roll, because it is too restrictive & woefully outdated in terms of its 8.3 file name requirements.

What I would like to see in the next OS update is the option to permanently turn off GameCentre, the option of a number row on the soft keyboard, the option to download & save a pdf from the web rather than having it open in the browser, instant App Store / iTunes store email invoicing & charging rather than weekly accounting & the ability to copy a purchased iTunes movie from my iPad to my NAS directly - even if to view it I had to stream it back through my iPad or Apple TV.

But that's just me :)

Agree on gimmicks -- though what seem like gimmicks to me might be useful to others.

The kind of improvements I'd like to see are more along the lines of what you mention, but I don't expect Apple to make them, because they're small, practical and not things that would look sexy on marketing touts, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts