What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colors on the new v7

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I have tried the contrast and bold solutions and they have helped a bit. I will also look into some alternate apps, too. The white background is a different story. I have a cornea problem that makes bright lights, sun, etc., hard to take. My eyes just don't adapt we'll. I do love my ipad. I've had it for almost a year now. It was my first Apple product and I thought long and hard about the purchase. I'm very hopeful Apple will hear all the negative discussions about the visual aspects of this upgrade and take steps to correct it.

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions.

I'm sorry to hear bout your eye problems.

I have only one more suggestion. You could try the Inverse Colors option under Accessibility. It's pretty darn ugly, so you won't want to use it except when necessary, so be sure to go down to the Accessibility Shortcut option and turn it on there. Once you do you can turn ON/OFF the option with a triple click of the Home button.

I'm not suggesting this as a permanent fix to your issue, only as a stop gap until you either find the apps you want or Apple offers the options you want.

Take care.

Ticojpunk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@twerppoet...

No offense taken. This is where discussions belong!

I think the difference here is the visual impact 7 has brought. There has always been under the hood tweaks. But iOS was always constantly criticized for not changing its look in so many years. Ironic for sure. One man's stale is another man's familiar.

I think for a lot of folks this extreme v7 visual change makes a product they loved actually difficult to use. Myself included.

Apple has never been the type to offer themes or any sort of visual tweaks, other than choosing your wallpaper. They like uniformity across their products.
So I really do wonder what they will do, of anything. Especially if the majority of users are enthusiastic about the new look.

There's no switching to Android tablets for me, as I do music production, and Android simply isn't capable of that. I'm with iPad for the long haul. I'll just ride it out with 6.1.3 for now and watch the tech blogs!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll join the bandwagon on not liking the new fonts. I am teaching a "what can ipad do for me " at the local senior center. I mirror the ipad screen on a monitor. With OS6 it was pretty readable with 7 it is not so much. I have removed my personal wall paper on the home screen and used one of their dark standards but now I lost the ability to show how you can use your favorite photo for wallpaper.

Bold text makes things like messages very thich and dark, don't like that. Be nice to offer customized fonts.

Domen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can improve the overall readability in two ways. Go to Settings > General > Accessability and turn on Increase Contrast and Bold Text. After Bold Text is enabled the iPad will reboot. When it restarts all system fonts and the native apps will have a thicke font. I'm not sure what Increase Contrast does. Either the effect is too subtle for my eyes, or it does not make any differnce on older models like the iPad 3.

You can also increase the font size in the Mail, Contacts, Notes, and to a limited extent the Calendar apps. Choose the Larger Text option in the same place as the other two options.

The Dynamic Text option is intended for third party apps. Any app that supports it will have it's font sixpze increased by this setting when enabled.

The other thing. I've foundpd helps is to use a darker bacground. That won't help with the 'white' apps, but the trancelucent portions of the interface look better, in my oppinion anyway.

Thank you so much for this, it helped a little. This new font isn't good for non-retina devices.

Rojas4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can improve the overall readability in two ways. Go to Settings > General > Accessability and turn on Increase Contrast and Bold Text. After Bold Text is enabled the iPad will reboot. When it restarts all system fonts and the native apps will have a thicke font. I'm not sure what Increase Contrast does. Either the effect is too subtle for my eyes, or it does not make any differnce on older models like the iPad 3.

You can also increase the font size in the Mail, Contacts, Notes, and to a limited extent the Calendar apps. Choose the Larger Text option in the same place as the other two options.

The Dynamic Text option is intended for third party apps. Any app that supports it will have it's font sixpze increased by this setting when enabled.

The other thing. I've foundpd helps is to use a darker bacground. That won't help with the 'white' apps, but the trancelucent portions of the interface look better, in my oppinion anyway.

Flipboard uses dynamic text as well.
At first I could not find a way to increase the text had to remove and reinstall Flipboard then a pop up message told me about the dynamic text option.

Flashfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I don't like about Apple. Like it or not, they force the GUI upon you with no option to change. This is where the Android ecosystem has a distinct advantage. So it looks like I will just need to get used to the new iOS 7 look & feel... I am part of the collective... I am Borg (aka Apple ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts