What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CloudFTP

rtt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a product Cyberpower CP-H420MP which is a rechargeable battery powered USB Hub. Unfortuneately Amazon UK lists this as unavailable and do not know if or when it will be available. It may be available in the states. On the Cyberpower website it doesn't list it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

drdab99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update about my recent problems with being able to upload files to an external HD. The company was very nice to deal with. Very prompt and polite responses to emails. I returned my original CloudFTP last week and they have another one on the way. Should arrive in a few days. I'll keep you posted.

drdab99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received new unit today, and after several more hours of experimentation, I have come to the conclusion that there was nothing actually wrong with either of the two units I have tried, but I think I have found some quirks with the CloudFTP that relate to file sizes and apps used. These are my observations:

1. Uploading of large files such as photographs (over about 850 KB) from the iPad to an external HD were likely to run into the ftp error messages when using Goodreader. Smaller files uploaded without a problem.

2. Using PhotoSync solved the problem with large file uploads for some, but not all of the external storage devices I tried. I had the most luck with usb cardreaders, loading to SDHC cards. Uploading to these devices seems flawless, no matter how large the file size. However, the same uploads to my Western Digital external drives was another story. I still have not solved the problem for my two newer drives (500 GB and 1 TB). The upload starts, but then quits within half a second with the message "An error occurred when uploading to FTP. Please check your connection." Interestingly, when I tried it with one of my really old WD drives (at lease 6 years old) - the uploads went through without a hitch.

3. The larger photo files would not load even to the SDHC cards if I tried to upload them through Goodreader instead of PhotoSync.

In conclusion, I think that there is something about uploading large file sizes (over about 850 KB) from the iPad to an external storage device which causes problems depending on the type of external device used as well as the app used.

I'm fine with using SDHC cards for now and I'm really happy to have found a method to upload my large photography files from the iPad when we leave on vacation next week. Each photo is about 3 MB, so a 32 GB SDHD card will hold close to 10,000 images - way more than enough space. I'm taking an extra card along for video - a 32 MB card will hold about 2 hours of HD video. So this is an acceptable situation.

Maybe this will be addressed in a future firmwire update, or will be solved when CloudFTP releases their own app.

Doug

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drdab99 said:
Received new unit today, and after several more hours of experimentation, I have come to the conclusion that there was nothing actually wrong with either of the two units I have tried, but I think I have found some quirks with the CloudFTP that relate to file sizes and apps used. These are my observations:

1. Uploading of large files such as photographs (over about 850 KB) from the iPad to an external HD were likely to run into the ftp error messages when using Goodreader. Smaller files uploaded without a problem.

2. Using PhotoSync solved the problem with large file uploads for some, but not all of the external storage devices I tried. I had the most luck with usb cardreaders, loading to SDHC cards. Uploading to these devices seems flawless, no matter how large the file size. However, the same uploads to my Western Digital external drives was another story. I still have not solved the problem for my two newer drives (500 GB and 1 TB). The upload starts, but then quits within half a second with the message "An error occurred when uploading to FTP. Please check your connection." Interestingly, when I tried it with one of my really old WD drives (at lease 6 years old) - the uploads went through without a hitch.

3. The larger photo files would not load even to the SDHC cards if I tried to upload them through Goodreader instead of PhotoSync.

In conclusion, I think that there is something about uploading large file sizes (over about 850 KB) from the iPad to an external storage device which causes problems depending on the type of external device used as well as the app used.

I'm fine with using SDHC cards for now and I'm really happy to have found a method to upload my large photography files from the iPad when we leave on vacation next week. Each photo is about 3 MB, so a 32 GB SDHD card will hold close to 10,000 images - way more than enough space. I'm taking an extra card along for video - a 32 MB card will hold about 2 hours of HD video. So this is an acceptable situation.

Maybe this will be addressed in a future firmwire update, or will be solved when CloudFTP releases their own app.

Doug

Great update Doug. This is an issue I haven't run into but by the sound of it, it depends on the drive connected to the CloudFTP.....presumably all your ext drives are formatted exactly the same?

There is a beta firmware update, might be worth trying that out as its easy to upgrade/downgrade the firmware (download, rename, put on a memory stick and follow the instructions on screen).

The Archangel

Hinds90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dumb question but do you have to be connected to wifi to veiw or upload movies

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hinds90 said:
Dumb question but do you have to be connected to wifi to veiw or upload movies

Not so dumb. you need Internet access of some description though. If you don't have 3G, then yes, you need wifi, unless you transfer the movie to the storage on your iPad using iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Hinds90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay lol all I want to do is transfer movies to my laptop. I've been reading for a few hours and can't figure out which is the best. I would like to go with the camera connection kit but it seems people have a lot of trouble with those.

Dont mean to thread jack but wanted to avoid making a new thread. Just looking for a simple way to transfer movies. Hyperdrive would be the easiest i assume but it's pretty expensive.

Last edited:
OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hinds90 said:
Okay lol all I want to do is transfer movies to my laptop. I've been reading for a few hours and can't figure out which is the best. I would like to go with the camera connection kit but it seems people have a lot of trouble with those.

Dont mean to thread jack but wanted to avoid making a new thread. Just looking for a simple way to transfer movies. Hyperdrive would be the easiest i assume but it's pretty expensive.

CloudFTP has its own local network so no Internet connection is required. This product is made by the Hyperdrive team but represents a cheaper and infinitely expandable solution as compared to the Hyperdrive.

The Archangel

Hinds90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol the posts above mine and below it are confusing me but im going to go with the camera connection kit and watch movies through ifile. Thanks for all the help.

rtt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday I received a DTech Solar Powered USB hub, which I got via Amazon UK.

The item is a little wider than an CloudFTP unit with a solar panel on the top, for USB ports down on side and on the other side a small switch to turn on a torch light. At on one end is the torch light bulbs and the other has a on/off switch and a mini USB post. Also with the unit comes a USB cable with the standard USB connector at one end and a mini USB connector on the other end.

The unit has an internal battery that can be charged vis the solar panel (I have not tested that) or using the supplied cable connected to a mains charger or PC. Along side the solar panel is a small panel that has led lights; red shows it is charging, blue shows that the hub is powered.

Using the iPad Camera Connection I connected the hub to the one with the USB port, connected a multi card reader to the hub with a card that had image files. Connecting the CCK unit to the iPad it would not work but when I switched the hub on I able to import the pictures into the iPad's photo album.

At this point I do not know how long a charged unit would last.

The unit came with no documentation, nor could I find any documentation either on the net.

BTW - ClouldFTP is now called iUSBport, same unit just new name.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346598468.757208.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346598468.757208.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 328
OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rtt said:
Yesterday I received a DTech Solar Powered USB hub, which I got via Amazon UK.

The item is a little wider than an CloudFTP unit with a solar panel on the top, for USB ports down on side and on the other side a small switch to turn on a torch light. At on one end is the torch light bulbs and the other has a on/off switch and a mini USB post. Also with the unit comes a USB cable with the standard USB connector at one end and a mini USB connector on the other end.

The unit has an internal battery that can be charged vis the solar panel (I have not tested that) or using the supplied cable connected to a mains charger or PC. Along side the solar panel is a small panel that has led lights; red shows it is charging, blue shows that the hub is powered.

Using the iPad Camera Connection I connected the hub to the one with the USB port, connected a multi card reader to the hub with a card that had image files. Connecting the CCK unit to the iPad it would not work but when I switched the hub on I able to import the pictures into the iPad's photo album.

At this point I do not know how long a charged unit would last.

The unit came with no documentation, nor could I find any documentation either on the net.

BTW - ClouldFTP is now called iUSBport, same unit just new name.

Great post, thanks for the heads up regarding the solar powered USB hub, I'll check it out and put an order in. Thanks for letting us know about the name change for the CloudFTP as well.

The Archangel

urbane fox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my cloudFTP. This has proved to be the most helpful site to get me up and running. As with other posts, my WD passport 120 (old model) does not work without either power going into the cloudFTP or a powered USB hub. If there is no external power, the light on the WD comes on faintly and the drive whirrrrs a bit but not getting up to full speed!

Also the WD passbook does not seem to work through an unpowered hub even if there is power going into the cloudFTP, even without other devices in the hub, weird. may try another hub....

Installed the latest firmware which lets you automatically transfer all files on one USB storage device to another USB storage device attached via USBhub on startup, which is exactly what I wanted from this device, ie to backup photos from an SD card to USB flash drive. Hadn't read any other posts mentioning this feature so thought i'd mention it. Sorry if this is a repeat post.

Have found oplayer the most reliable for watching and downloading video files from USB on cloudFTP, seems to respond quite quickly. Any suggestions for best app for managing photos, as the oplayer does not handle these too well!

Are there any drag and drop apps which would let me transfer files between to USB storage devices attached simultaneously via a USB hub attached to the cloudFTP. the only way I can see of doing it is to copy to ipad first then copy back onto another usb device which is a bit of a pain....

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
urbane fox said:
Just got my cloudFTP. This has proved to be the most helpful site to get me up and running. As with other posts, my WD passport 120 (old model) does not work without either power going into the cloudFTP or a powered USB hub. If there is no external power, the light on the WD comes on faintly and the drive whirrrrs a bit but not getting up to full speed!

Also the WD passbook does not seem to work through an unpowered hub even if there is power going into the cloudFTP, even without other devices in the hub, weird. may try another hub....

Installed the latest firmware which lets you automatically transfer all files on one USB storage device to another USB storage device attached via USBhub on startup, which is exactly what I wanted from this device, ie to backup photos from an SD card to USB flash drive. Hadn't read any other posts mentioning this feature so thought i'd mention it. Sorry if this is a repeat post.

Have found oplayer the most reliable for watching and downloading video files from USB on cloudFTP, seems to respond quite quickly. Any suggestions for best app for managing photos, as the oplayer does not handle these too well!

Are there any drag and drop apps which would let me transfer files between to USB storage devices attached simultaneously via a USB hub attached to the cloudFTP. the only way I can see of doing it is to copy to ipad first then copy back onto another usb device which is a bit of a pain....

That is a great post, many thanks for the superb and well written information.

I can't assist with the photo management as that's not my thing. Nor am I aware of any app that will write to two USB mass storage devices at the same time......I'm not being much help am I!

I really wanted to say thank you for the information regarding OPlayer, I'm pretty sure I haven't tried this yet so ill give it a whirl!

The Archangel

urbane fox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, was a bit hasty to rave about oplayer. Been having a lot of difficulty playing certain video files where the buffer process would frequently hang once it reached the mid 90's%, then it would start from 0% over and over again, so the file would never start playing. Was worried that I'd got a duff cloudFP unit where wifi signal was being dropped. Since got the goodplayer app which seems to have solved the problem.

lionking15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Please can u tell me, can the internet be used at the same time as downloading or streaming content from the Cloudftp ?

Thank You

Most reactions

Latest posts