CloudFTP

Discussion in 'iPAD Connect' started by Gabriel1, May 11, 2012.

1. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    I have just received my new CloudFTP. What is CloudFTP I hear you ask? Well, it's a device which will set up a local wireless network to be able to connect a PC/Mac, iOS devices and android devices to USB Mass Storage devices including flash drives, External HD's, cameras, etc.

So, where to start.......how about, what does it look like, well here it is......

image-511068803.jpg

To give you an idea of size I put it on a DVD......so yes, it's tiny!!

It comes with a USB power adaptor lead so that you can charge it from your computer or even the same charging adaptor that comes with your iPad/iPhone.

How easy is it to get going I hear you ask? You did ask didn't you? Well, really easy is the answer. First off I fired up a WD Passport and threw some files on it, then I plugged the CloudFTP into my MacBook Air (purely because it may not have had enough charge for this quick exercise) and connected my WD Passport to the one USB port (note that you can use a USB hub with the CloudFTP so multiple device connection shouldn't be a problem and I will try this in the not to distant future) then fired up my iPad 1 as I needed my iPad 2 to take the pictures.......so here is that setup.......

image-3439113529.jpg

I then switched on the CloudFTP which provided the power for the WD Passport. It took no more than a few seconds to power up so my next step was to go into Settings>wifi and select "Hyperdrive" (in the slim instruction manual it says that it will be called "CloudFTP" but it's not hard to figure out the correct network). Then open Safari and type in http://192.168.0.1 and hey presto......

image-3901524637.jpg

Now, click on the drive name in the left hand window and.......

image-2787172141.jpg

And as a final test I opened a few docs which all opened in Safari. Here is a movie opening (it took around 1 to 2 seconds to start playing).......

image-657945469.jpg

So far so good. This is the start of this guide and I will update as I learn more about what this wee beauty can do but I am already impressed with the ease of setup. The whole process took about 30 seconds and took much longer to type!

Now I'll start reading, testing (playing) and reporting back but first a few facts and figures......

The box claims that it can back up your USB data with popular online cloud storage services, stream 3 different movies with up to 3 different devices at the same time (good for long car journeys with all the passengers watching their own movies and share documents with up to 8 people

So what is inside this mysterious black box, well here goes......
    ARM926EJ-S RISC Core processor
    150MHZ 64MB DDR SDRAM, 30MHZ 16MB SPI NOR Flash
    2600mAh 18650 Li-Ion battery ( up to 5 hours)
    Powered USB 2 port
    HTML5 web browser based
    Supported file systems FAT32, NTFS, HFS, HFS+, exFAT, EXT 2/3/4
    Supports wifi 802.11b/g/n "Access Point" and "Infrastructure" mode

Watch this space for further updates as I test it and hopefully don't break it!

CHANGING NAME AND SETTINGS

So here we are with the first update, less of a review this time, more of a tip/guide.

When you first use the CloudFTP it will not be password protected which means anyone who types in the URL http://192.168.0.1 can access all of your goodies, which is kind of bad. So, let's get some kind of protection going and whilst we are about it let's change it's name from hyperdrive to something else.

Before we start you probably want to know how easy this s going to be, well, can you turn on a tap? Did you say yes! Well in that case I think you are good to go!

Firstly, connect to your CloudFTP as described above.

Next we need to enter the settings page.......

image-3895146438.jpg

When in settings we need to access the page which allows us to change the device name and add a password (note that I have already changed the device (network) name as I went through the process before putting the guide together, just to make sure that it works).......

image-4011468094.jpg

Now fill in your new details and when you are happy, touch the done button..........

image-1340783484.jpg

Finally, go to your Settings App and click on the Wifi tab and you should find your device........

image-1966639109.jpg

This time around it will ask you for your password.

Now, that was simple and easy.........but don't forget to turn off the tap, we don't want you to flood your house!! That would be bad!

UPLOADING (USING GOODREADER)

As promised we can now look at the most important aspect, saving files from the iPad to an external HD, always the most underachieved aspect of most external storage options and definitely the most desirable!

So we start off with the web interface to demonstrate the files which were on the external HD at the start of this exercise.......

image-1201135765.jpg

Now we need to open GoodReader and tap on the drive name in the right hand column......

image-2088877520.jpg

This opens the CloudFTP in the left hand side of the screen, now we tap on "upload"........

image-299369883.jpg

A list of files in GoodReader appears on top, touch the files to select for uploading......

image-2874589046.jpg

The selected files are highlighted in a fetching green colour so it's time to hit the "upload" button.......

image-109886904.jpg

And hey presto, here are the files on your external drive (note that when upload is pressed it checks if files with the same name exist on the external HD and gives you the option to overwrite or not overwrite, so you have complete control)........

image-673894944.jpg

And just to prove that they have uploaded, here they are on the web interface (in case you are wondering why there are not the original files plus the eight uploaded, I chose to overwrite hence eight files)......

image-2722929022.jpg

This whole exercise to upload eight files took around 20 seconds from start to finish, so it really is very simple!

CONNECTING TO GOODREADER

I should really have put this before the previous section but hey, my mind works in mysterious ways!

Connecting to GoodReader couldn't be easier, first of all, open GoodReader and touch "add" in connect to server........

image-2839049598.jpg

Then you will get a form like this (in the first image), populate it with the details in the second image then tap the "add" button......

image-739247377.jpg

image-573901357.jpg

Now all you need to do is tap the icon in this window to view the contents of your drive.......

image-1375609626.jpg

And that is all it takes!!

The Archangel
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. followthesapper

followthesapper iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Subscribed to the thread :thumbs:
  3. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,109 / 1
    Very nice write up, Gabe! Thank you for sharing the steps and pics along with it! Can't wait to see the next steps!!
  4. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    I'm reading up on it all tonight and will hopefully update tomorrow a bit more In depth.

The Archangel
  5. fleur07

fleur07 iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    This is great Gab! I learn something new from you quite often!
  6. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    I do my best.

The Archangel
  7. superfish

superfish iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks and I have subscribed. Not that is matters much but it's not listed on Amazon. I found it in a couple other places.

I travel on a motorcycle and need to take my win XP net book along to feed maps into my Garmin GPS. I've been looking for a way to tie the net book and the external HDD into my iPad. The best I've found to date is a small portable (USB powered) wifi router. This also will accept a CAT5 LAN if I need it. The disadvantage is, of course, that I would need to fire up the netbook any time I wanted access to the drive. So this looks like a very good solution.

I'll be watching your review. I gather from what you have said that the CloudFTP will work while the charge power is connected. I have read of some units that will not.

Thanks again I appreciate your posts.

Bob
  8. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Yes, it works when charging and when not charging (was that as obvious as it sounded). Yes, being able to connect any USB mass storage device from flash drives to camcorders without a computer is a great idea......really good for photographers. According to Hyperdrive there is an iOS App coming soon.

What is also great is that it works with Android as well so if you change your device (really! Why would you!) or say you have an iPad and an Android phone you can connect both at the same time. No power requirements when mobile is another bonus although I'm guessing that the 5hr claim is the unit on its own, I'll test that, but I figure that it'll come down when powering something like an Ext HD.

In reality I will probably use it more with one or more USB flash drives, some cheap 32GB drives out there, as it would seem more appropriate when mobile to keep as light as possible but it's working fine with my WD Passport.

I got it from Amazon here in the UK but in the States you could get it direct from Hyperdrive.

The Archangel
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324 / 0
    Beautiful. You are a wonderful "explainer"? I love the tutorial with your usual asides! Well done! Love you Gab!
  10. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    My pleasure!

The Archangel
  11. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    First update added to the first post, a small guide to changing the device (network) name and getting some protection plus a little love and affection.......actually there wasn't any love and affection but hey, when you are on a roll!

The Archangel
  12. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    And as a little teaser trailer for the next update......here is GoodReader connected to the CloudFTP.....

The Archangel

Attached Files:

13. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    As an update, I charged up the CloudFTP and used it this morning with it powering the WD Passport......and it lasted 6 hours. So I'm impressed with the battery performance and surprisingly better than claimed.

The Archangel
  14. fleur07

fleur07 iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    That's really nice battery life actually!
  15. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Gab....if someone owns an Airstash and a Pogoplug, does it make some sense to own this too? Functionality wise, I mean. Thanks for all of the work.

GoodReader is one of the best apps in the world. :)
  16. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    That is a good question and one that I can't quite answer yet. It will depend a lot on individual circumstance and the specs of those two products in relation to the CloudFTP. A few points which I think are valid plus points......

- you can connect any USB mass storage device and more than one at a time.
    - you can have a local network anywhere and include iOS, Android, OSX and Windows devices all connecting at the same time sharing the same files.
    - the good battery life makes it an ideal device to be used in the field (great for photographers and those who travel in the course of their work)
    - some of the things I haven't explored yet; ability to connect to your own local network, I.e. your home network, ability to backup to online cloud solutions, good interface with GoodReader (once I figure out the upload!), apps in the pipeline for iOS and Android.

So, aside from photography or business travellers, I can think it would be great for families who travel a lot, they can all connect and watch/listen to their own media at the same time on different devices. If you change from iOS to Android or the other way around you won't be left with a useless device. I'm sure I can think of many more scenarios as I play with this thing more and more.

BTW, I believe the inability to upload files in addition to download may partly be due to a need to upgrade the firmware, so once updated later today I will report back but even so, it integrates so well with GoodReader that it's a mighty fine piece of kit as it is. There are also a number of other apps that it works with so once I have sorted out GoodReader I will try those out too.

The Archangel
  17. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I didn't realize you could not save write files to the storage attached to the CloudFTP. Did I understand you correctly on this? This is one thing you can do easily with the Airstash. Right now, I'm moving all photos off my iPad to a folder I created on the SD card that is in my Air Stash. You can also move videos this way too, though I have not done that yet. With the Airstash, you can only attach an SD card or a MicroSD in an adaptor.

The Pogplug has no battery so it can't be used in any portable fashion, though it is small and easy to relocate. It needs wall power. You can connect up a bunch of stuff to its ports...it has two usb 3.0 ports, a usb 2.0 port, an SD card slot, and a SATA port so you can connect a laptop drive to it. It also has an ethernet port, so it hangs on your network. I don't think CloudFTP has an ethernet port, right? The pogoplug series 4 has client software that allows your PC, MAC, phone, tablets, whatever, to access its storage through the internet. And it works. In fact, the copy what sells this thing is now offering to sell this software so you can turn any PC into cloud storage. $15/year is what they charge. The one problem I have with this is it is all tied through them...for example, I can go to a website on a PC to see what is on my series 4. Or I can use the apps. On my various PC, the pogoplug looks just like a drive or folder, like dropbox.

The CloudFTP seems like a curious blend of an Air Stash and a Pogoplug or personal cloud.
  18. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    I may have confused the issue with my ramblings!

So, the answer to your first question is no, you can upload and download files with the CloudFTP however, I just haven't figured out the correct FTP settings yet for the upload element (rather than mess around with stuff I don't understand I'll probably just ask the HyperDrive guys to tell me how it should be set up). It has to be said that apart from the FTP issue it has been simple to set up and use but the instructions both in the box and online are.....well, almost non-existent. There is information available from the guys at HyperDrive but as it seems spread across a multitude of web sites and forums it is less than ideal and answers to questions, although plentiful and timely are at best, brief. Obviously I know what I'm getting into but someone with no knowledge might find things mighty awkward. Hopefully if I can get the guide completed here that will help. Once the official app hits the App Store this may also improve things.

You are correct that the CloudFTP doesn't have an Ethernet port, in fact, aside from the power socket it only has one USB port. Is this a problem, well not really IMHO. It isn't designed as a modem although it can be connected to a wireless network (more on this as I build the guide) as well as setting up its own wireless network. Given the portability of this device it is clearly meant for moving around, maybe a future incarnation might give it 3G/4G built in but I don't think it is missing any tricks without Ethernet. As for the one USB port, well again, I don't think it is missing any tricks here either, most users will only need to have one drive at a time installed but the fact that a hub can be used means that there are no real shortcomings. I'm sure that a very few would find this a problem but then you could say that about any product.

At the moment I can't offer a full review of the CloudFTP as I am trying to work my way through every element of it in a methodical manner and I can only do this in my spare time so as I try each part I will report back and update.

I think that the HyperDrive guys probably should have prepared the apps before this went on sale but of course, I have no idea what issues they may have had with that.

All in all, this is a great little device. Improvements can be made but I don't think many are required. Combined with my personal cloud I have just about every base covered here at a one off cost (WD My Book Live + CloudFTP) of around £190. Bearing in mind that for most folks one or the other device would be sufficient for their needs there is clearly a cost effective solution here and as apps and firmware are updated with both devices it can only get better.

I think for comparison purposes, the WD My Book Live is probably the correct device to compare to the pogo plug and the CloudFTP to the Airstash but I don't intend to offer any comparisons here as I haven't used those two devices and it would be wrong of me to compare anything but cold hard specs (and we all know that they only tell half of the story).

The Archangel
  19. superfish

superfish iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Loking and trying stuff

I am following this thread with great interest. I hope that this post does not come off a a hijack of your thread. I'm still looking for answers. I know that I want one but I'm not sure if it will help my situation.

I almost clicked on the buy button for a "CloudFTP" this morning. I didn't because I still have some questions and my system works well.

My current setup, setup in the house as a test:
    --"Neewer Wireless mini router" ($20) connected direct to my DSL Modem.
    --Netbook wireless connect to router, USB hard drive on netbook.
    --iPAD wireless connect to router.

I can see all of the files on the drive. Play Mp4 movies, read PDFs, etc. Using File Browser App. When connected to my regular router the drive looks like a regular network drive.

So, since this is all working and I always must travel with my netbook, I'm not sure I need a CloudFTP.

However I'm intrigued---
    -- It would be nifty to just play movies easily.
    -- When it is connected, does the USB drive look like just another shared drive?
    -- When connected to my home LAN using CloudFTP what does the drive look like?? Like a NAS drive?? Shared drive??

I know that yo9u are just starting your trials and I may be a while before you can answer.

Also, have you looked at the forum on their ( the Manufacturer's) WEB site?? There was talk about some smoke and over heating problems. I’m assuming they have fixed that.

Thanks and keep up the good work. I'll be reading as we go.

bob
  20. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Hi Bob,

The web interface is in a screen shot in my first post, in the GoodReader App it looks like this.......

image-889610182.jpg

There are other apps available which it works with and once I've worked everything out I will try those and post screen shots. Hyperdrive are also in the process of producing apps specifically for the device.

I haven't yet connected to my local network but I will be doing this and I'll present all the info here.

I too read about the smoking issue but I understand those were early units where the USB port was pressing on the wifi circuitry (I think). So far this one has barely got warm.

Hopefully I'll be updating the guide again quite shortly.

The Archangel