What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CloudFTP

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Modest too I see :)

This Forum is great and it's all because we have such wonderful members here who make it so!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

mwebb1234a

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
It's just a matter of sharing, I can't remember how I discovered this but I'm thinking that it was probably mentioned by another forum member, so we all help in one way or another......I might be biased but this forum is just grrrrrreat!

The Archangel

In my work I was part of an introduction of knowledge management. But we didint introduce it with big contracts to contractors. We had a diverse group of people around the country that needed to talk and work together that didn't have any travel budgets. We accidentally got the early version of Microsoft sharepoint that didnt require a portal server. But it would work computer to computer, like an early version of distributed computing, before there was such a thing we formed an informal group to help each other when we had questions. You know no IT person would have designed the system we had, but our system worked, it was based on what the users needed and how they worked, and it went from 70 users in the first year to 5,000 users in three years.

Sharing and people helping each other is personally rewarding, and really effective.

Thank you for being there.

Mike

drdab99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a lot of problems uploading. I've tried multiple apps (GoodReader, iFiles, PhotoSync). In GoodReader, I have it configured exactly the way that is shown in the first post in this thread. Occasionally I can get a small file of less than one MB to upload. For other files, they seem to start to load, then I get an error message. The most common one is ftp error 451. Occasionally I get ftp error 553. I'm using new Western Digital My Passport drives (2 of them - same thing happens on both.

I just got the cloudftp yesterday. Downloads are no problem, but the uploads just aren't happening. Is it possible I received a bad unit? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ropayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone..!
I'm not new to the forum, but this is my first post. When I discovered CloudFTP I thought "WOW, here is the answer to the problem of no USB connections. After discovering Gabriel's awesome instructional posts, I jumped in with both feet & started with Goodreader.
Not really understanding what I was doing, I was not getting where I wanted to be. I downloaded FTP Manager, Any File, iFiles & some others that only confused me more. None were user friendly to my level of expertise until I discovered ( on a different thread in this forum ) Filebrowser app. This app does what I was expecting of all that I tried.
As an experiment I fired up my CloudFTP in Ad-Hoc mode & connected a small Targus 4 port 2.0 USB hub. From there I connected a small Sony multi-card reader with an 8gb CF card, an 8gb SD card & a 4gb Sony memory stick. Next I plugged in a 64gb USB flash drive, a 120gb WD Passport HD & finally a 120gb Simple Drive portable HD that required external power.
Turned on everything & waited for the smoke to start pouring out. No smoke...!!

I was able to see all of the drives connected except the WD Passport. I could see & open files & folders, move files & photos between drives without first loading them on my iPad. Works great...! Just what I had in mind when I bought my CloudFTP.

Further experiments concluded that for me to be able to use an external HD, it to be powered separately, then it would work.

Just my 2 cents worth. I have learned so much from this forum & am really thankful for all the knowledge that is shared so freely.

Robert

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drdab99 said:
I'm having a lot of problems uploading. I've tried multiple apps (GoodReader, iFiles, PhotoSync). In GoodReader, I have it configured exactly the way that is shown in the first post in this thread. Occasionally I can get a small file of less than one MB to upload. For other files, they seem to start to load, then I get an error message. The most common one is ftp error 451. Occasionally I get ftp error 553. I'm using new Western Digital My Passport drives (2 of them - same thing happens on both.

I just got the cloudftp yesterday. Downloads are no problem, but the uploads just aren't happening. Is it possible I received a bad unit? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ok, error 553 is an illegal filename. Can you confirm the filename including the suffix and I'll see if I can replicate and hopefully fix the the problem.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ropayne said:
Hello everyone..!
I'm not new to the forum, but this is my first post. When I discovered CloudFTP I thought "WOW, here is the answer to the problem of no USB connections. After discovering Gabriel's awesome instructional posts, I jumped in with both feet & started with Goodreader.
Not really understanding what I was doing, I was not getting where I wanted to be. I downloaded FTP Manager, Any File, iFiles & some others that only confused me more. None were user friendly to my level of expertise until I discovered ( on a different thread in this forum ) Filebrowser app. This app does what I was expecting of all that I tried.
As an experiment I fired up my CloudFTP in Ad-Hoc mode & connected a small Targus 4 port 2.0 USB hub. From there I connected a small Sony multi-card reader with an 8gb CF card, an 8gb SD card & a 4gb Sony memory stick. Next I plugged in a 64gb USB flash drive, a 120gb WD Passport HD & finally a 120gb Simple Drive portable HD that required external power.
Turned on everything & waited for the smoke to start pouring out. No smoke...!!

I was able to see all of the drives connected except the WD Passport. I could see & open files & folders, move files & photos between drives without first loading them on my iPad. Works great...! Just what I had in mind when I bought my CloudFTP.

Further experiments concluded that for me to be able to use an external HD, it to be powered separately, then it would work.

Just my 2 cents worth. I have learned so much from this forum & am really thankful for all the knowledge that is shared so freely.

Robert

Interesting findings although I use my WD Passport and have never had any external power source to it, so I'm thinking that there must be a different issue at work here. I'll have a play around and see if I can replicate the problem but I won't be able to try it out with my USB hub until next week.

I can also confirm that when the WD Passport or any other USB drive I have is connected using Goodreader as set up in the first post it works fine. All the screenshots in that first post are using the WD Passport, GoodReader but not using a hub, so the setup definitely works without a hub.

The Archangel

drdab99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think that the problems I've been having are related to the WD drives. I just found out that the same problems occur even with a thumb drive. So, the problem is not on the side of the external storage device. It's either something I'm doing wrong or it's a problem with the CloudFTP itself. I don't know if it's possible to have a unit which facilitates perfect downloads but cannot accomplish an upload to the external HD. Wouldn't a hardware problem manifest itself in both uploads and downloads? I really don't know enough about the electronics to know the answer to that.

The predominant error is 451. The 553 shows up randomly. I'm pretty sure my nomenclature is ok. Gabriel - could you list what the settings are on the screenshots on the first page of this thread? I have a problem reading them on my screen. I think my settings are OK, but I'd like to make sure. If I have a hardware problem I'll return it and exchange it for another unit, but the time frame involved to do that would make the new unit arrive after I've left for vacation, so I'd like to be more sure before I make a return.

As a newbie here, I really appreciated the helpfulness - I'm glad I found this thread.

Doug

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drdab99 said:
I don't think that the problems I've been having are related to the WD drives. I just found out that the same problems occur even with a thumb drive. So, the problem is not on the side of the external storage device. It's either something I'm doing wrong or it's a problem with the CloudFTP itself. I don't know if it's possible to have a unit which facilitates perfect downloads but cannot accomplish an upload to the external HD. Wouldn't a hardware problem manifest itself in both uploads and downloads? I really don't know enough about the electronics to know the answer to that.

The predominant error is 451. The 553 shows up randomly. I'm pretty sure my nomenclature is ok. Gabriel - could you list what the settings are on the screenshots on the first page of this thread? I have a problem reading them on my screen. I think my settings are OK, but I'd like to make sure. If I have a hardware problem I'll return it and exchange it for another unit, but the time frame involved to do that would make the new unit arrive after I've left for vacation, so I'd like to be more sure before I make a return.

As a newbie here, I really appreciated the helpfulness - I'm glad I found this thread.

Doug

I can type out the settings but it could take me quite a while(!), have you tried tapping on the images as they should expand to fill the screen......I'm not trying to be unhelpful as I do have reasons why I can't type them out very quickly.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little googling has found these two nuggets.....

Error 451......

1.) The drive (on the FTP server that the file is being stored on) is full (or there isn't enough free space available for the file being sent)
2.) The user has a limit on the amount of disk space (on the FTP server) they can use (a quota) and they've reached that limit (or will surpass it with the file being sent)
3.) The permissions on the folder (on the FTP server) do not allow this user to store files in it

Error 553......

Go to section: Connect to Server > tab on "ADD" > select "FTP SERVER" >

key in the UR-Address: "CloudFTP" and USER: "any name is fine" > After that, tap the Add button on the upper right corner.

After that, under the Connect to Server section, the CloudFTP is listed there.

Tap on the "CloudFTP", then it will connect to the CloudFTP unit.

The "553 error message" is due to illegal file name.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drdab99 said:

Doug

Assuming you haven't had time to read the entire thread, I had no problems downloading to begin with but it took me a while to get to get everything sorted for uploading.......now my case is really user error (I'm not sure what the code is for that!) but if you set it up as its shown in the first post here it really should work, I made all the mistakes originally just so you don't have to.

Also, it's not always obvious (at first) when something has uploaded, so even when I got the settings correct I missed the fact that I had actually uploaded the files. So, if you have another device, say a PC or Mac, that you can connect then changes become way more obvious.

The Archangel

drdab99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel,

I forgot about being able to tap on the images to enlarge. Sorry. I'm pretty literate with my laptop but this is my first iPad, and there are some things I forget about. Anyway, the settings are exactly what I have and the other reasons for the 451 errors don't apply, so I guess I'll return my unit and try another one.

Thank you for your gracious help - I really appreciate it.

Doug

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drdab99 said:
Gabriel,

I forgot about being able to tap on the images to enlarge. Sorry. I'm pretty literate with my laptop but this is my first iPad, and there are some things I forget about. Anyway, the settings are exactly what I have and the other reasons for the 451 errors don't apply, so I guess I'll return my unit and try another one.

Thank you for your gracious help - I really appreciate it.

Doug

That's such a shame as I figured there would be a suitable solution for you. I hope that the next one works fine.

The Archangel

ropayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Interesting findings although I use my WD Passport and have never had any external power source to it, so I'm thinking that there must be a different issue at work here. I'll have a play around and see if I can replicate the problem but I won't be able to try it out with my USB hub until next week.

I can also confirm that when the WD Passport or any other USB drive I have is connected using Goodreader as set up in the first post it works fine. All the screenshots in that first post are using the WD Passport, GoodReader but not using a hub, so the setup definitely works without a hub.

The Archangel

You are absolutely correct..! I connected my WD Passport directly to the CloudFTP & FileBrowser immediately picked it up. I then changed the connection to the unpowered USB hub & a CF card in the card reader along with the WD Passport also connected to the hub. Can read the CF card just fine, but the WD Passport does not show up even though the power on indicator is lit up.

Since my initial goal was to be able to transfer files, folders or photos between mass storage devices without first loading onto my iPad & then transferring to storage, my simple conclusion is that the CloudFTP battery cannot supply enough power to both the WD Passport HD & the card reader at the same time.

Solution: Use a externally powered multi-card reader

Robert

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ropayne said:
You are absolutely correct..! I connected my WD Passport directly to the CloudFTP & FileBrowser immediately picked it up. I then changed the connection to the unpowered USB hub & a CF card in the card reader along with the WD Passport also connected to the hub. Can read the CF card just fine, but the WD Passport does not show up even though the power on indicator is lit up.

Since my initial goal was to be able to transfer files, folders or photos between mass storage devices without first loading onto my iPad & then transferring to storage, my simple conclusion is that the CloudFTP battery cannot supply enough power to both the WD Passport HD & the card reader at the same time.

Solution: Use a externally powered multi-card reader

Robert

That is interesting, it made me look for a battery powered USB hub but surprisingly I couldn't find one.......you would think that in our mobile world someone somewhere would make such a thing although my googling did come up with results for solar powered USB hubs.

The Archangel

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found this on Amazon. "DC-Powered 4-Port USB Hub CNX-P5USB " 4 powered ports. Runs on 7 to 32 volts. It's designed for to be wired into a car. I bet I can power it with my "ANKER" portable battery -- it has a 12v out port.

Most reactions

Latest posts