What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying with old CC?

Reaction score
Is it possible to continue buying items with an old card?

I had gotten my Visa replaced weeks ago, as I broke the old one, but haven't updated iTunes and Amazon. And yet, can I continue buying apps from the AppStore and Cydia, the payments also show up on my online bank statement billed to my old card, which is supposed to be deactivated, or so did the bank accountant tell me. However, when I ordered the Zaggmate, did the old CC get refused,

So somehow I can still use the old one for certain payment methods, which makes me think that the old one isn't fully deactivated. Should I be worried, or is this normal?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've noticed it with various stores on occasion. Some catch on right away, others never seem to care, or take months to start rejecting payments. There has to be a difference in the way they store the card info and/or process it.

It's never happened with a deactivated card, only an updated one with a new expiration date.

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
I would have thought my bank just refuses any payments for the old card, considering it has a different card number and security code, it shouldn't be too difficult to do so.

So 'loosing' a card is the only way of disabling the card completely?

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
I would have thought my bank just refuses any payments for the old card, considering it has a different card number and security code, it shouldn't be too difficult to do so.

So 'loosing' a card is the only way of disabling the card completely?

Why should they care? Its a bank......

As long as they get their money. However, you can claim it back, because the payment was done on a non valid card.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to continue buying items with an old card?

I had gotten my Visa replaced weeks ago, as I broke the old one, but haven't updated iTunes and Amazon. And yet, can I continue buying apps from the AppStore and Cydia, the payments also show up on my online bank statement billed to my old card, which is supposed to be deactivated, or so did the bank accountant tell me. However, when I ordered the Zaggmate, did the old CC get refused,

So somehow I can still use the old one for certain payment methods, which makes me think that the old one isn't fully deactivated. Should I be worried, or is this normal?

It used to be the case that the vendor only had to seek authorisation for amounts in excess of a specified minimum as long as the card details were valid. Since the card details held by iTunes were valid - i.e. the card had not expired and they'd not had a credit authorisation refused on a larger purchase - then small purchases - a few dollars for an app - would not require authorisation and would be automatically accepted. Only a large purchase - like that to Zagg would require on-line authorisation.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts