What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple stubborn as heck, cannot pay, arggh!

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife uses her iPad, playing games and using educational software. This is hard for us, have mercy!

Wife used to buy stuff from iTunes/Store successfully. We had to ditch an old Apple ID of hers and make a new one (HAD to, forgot why). Previously, wife could buy game add-ons/extras with a few strokes no problem and if I recall, the money came from our local bank account, not a big-name bank. Now under her new ID we are trying desperately to add a payment method for apps, iTunes, everything; so far zero success, arggh!

First I logged on to iTunes from a desktop PC, logged into her account and added a payment card, to wit my debit card. It took. 'Figured that would carry over to the iPad. Then logged in to iPad: NO PAYMENT METHODS. Wha!? Maybe a sync is required, naah, doubt it, and I don't know how.

Tried adding my local debit card to Apple Pay. It said, "contacting issuer" then "no, they don't participate". Damn! Tried some things, no success. But then I succeeded in adding my AMEX card and verified it and it took. She goes into her game, tries to make a purchase and SPHLATT, "we could not do your purchase, try contacting iTunes Support". I hate Apples.

Then in desperation added $15 to Apple Pay account using that AMEX card and it seemed to take. Tried the in-game purchase again ($14.99) and got the same awful failure message. Hate Apples! How can I get that $15 back, pray tell!?

When you go to make an in-game (Farmville Seaside) purchase it doesn't even inquire about any choice of payment method. This stinks!

Wife and I are getting old, can't deal well with these horrific incongruities. Stress, muscle spasms, deflation, arggh! Can anyone help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple Pay and adding a payment method to the App Store or other other apple purchases are separate things.

Apple Pay is a kind of credit card meant to be used at participating store terminals or online stores.

Paying for stuff in Apple’s apps is more direct.

Go to Settings > Your name/ID at the very top in the left column > Apple ID: (your email address) at the top right > View Apple ID > Payment Information

You can add your payment method there.

Alternately you can add credit to your account by purchasing and redemeemling iTunes/App cards. The cards are redeemed at the bottom of The App or iTunes store’s main tab.

84401C96-D7F1-4E63-88EF-1AB040178ABD.png

Last edited:
OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, we thank you heartily, twerppoet, for being there willing to help. I'll just say that yeah, I kinda knew that Apple Pay was not the avenue I should be pursuing, that it was something distinct, but Apple touts it (within some dialog) as a way to pay for iTunes and Apps. Awful confusion with this, arggh. And I had a feeling that I should tap the user name to get to the important account-related stuff and I am certain I tried that several times but nothing opened up. I guess I was tapping wrong or something.

So, I followed your advice, this time tapped just right on the user name and that section opened up and there was my debit card payment method, which I had specified from my desktop PC and felt it would carry over. Terrific! But the security code field was blank and not surprisingly because the PC visit to iTunes had not allowed me to enter that. So I entered it correctly here on the iPad, and the expiration date which keeps going away, and I hit Save and it was saved.

But alas, I asked my wife to try her in-game purchase again and got that same old danged message about "We could not complete your purchase, try contacting support". I am totally at wit's end!!!

I removed my AMEX card from Apple Pay and will forsake the $15 I loaded to it. Such is life, arggh.

So I guess it's a total bust but boy, what intense disappointment. Oh I suppose there is hope but am thoroughly disgusted about this outcome.

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is still that gift card avenue of which you (twerppoet) spoke. I am in no hurry to delve into some new complexity that will be of no avail and might again ensnare a wad of cash of mine. My local debit card is there under payment methods and that SHOULD FLY! I just don't know what to say at this point or what to do. I am accustomed to relaxation, not this. OMG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do as the the notifaction says and contact Apple Support. They should be able to help you, or at least give a definitive answer on whether the AMEX card should work. If it’s a preload or gift style card it may not. The Apple Support app is available (for free) in the App Store. Or go here: App Store - Official Apple Support

Don’t just use the online tutorials. Go ahead and contact them via chat/email/or phone.

Unlike Tech Support, App Store and iTunes Store support is free.

I assure that your experience is not common. Like most businesses, Apple goes out of it’s way to make sure you can give them money. :rolleyes:

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your kindness. I will likely pursue the Apple Support avenue next week.

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, happy to ...the wife relates to me that she did something on the iPad, the precise steps of which she cannot recall/recount, where that $15 I loaded on to Apple Pay got used to pay for her game enhancements. I mean some things are just too much botheration for an aging guy to surmount and so I likely won't pursue the matter further until next crisis, but I will know to run to iTunes Support without hesitation. MANY THANKS for being there!!

Most reactions