Gift iPad to Someone without credit card?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mikespe, Nov 27, 2013.

1. mikespe

mikespe
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My mother refuses to own a credit card since she got into finacial trouble when she was younger. I thought about buying her an iPad mini for Christmas but in order for her to use it she has to have payment information & a way to pay for apps during set up. I could get her one of those prepaid Visa cards but she would have no way to add more cash to it. Is there a way to use an iPad without payment information?

Thanks

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can use iTunes gift cards to pay for iTunes and AppStore purchases. Here's how to redeem iTunes gift cards on the iPad. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1574

Here's how to set up an iTunes account without a credit card. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

3. Mobilearts

Mobilearts
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I use an Apple iTunes or Apps card. They can be bought anywhere for as little as $15. During set up when you are asked for choice of credit card check "None" and have an iTunes card ready to redeem. Buy more cards as needed and redeem at the bottom of the screen when at the App or iTunes Store

4. mikespe

mikespe
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Wow! I thought you HAD to have a credit card to set up an account!! Now to decide if my mom will actually be able to figure out how to USE an iPAd!! Thanks guys!!!

5. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    She'll be fine. If there is one thing about iPads it's that they are pretty easy to use and get accustomed to. I can also confirm the steps above being the correct way to create an account without a credit card. I did that for my daughters.

6. mikespe

mikespe
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You don't know my MOm!!! She has a hard time figuring out a new microwave...and her new Keurig took WEEKS for her to figure out!!!

7. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya. Mine is like that too. Eventually, she'll get it. ;)

8. TwinsisterWendy

TwinsisterWendy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I dont own a credit card and it works fine I just buy itunes giftcards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Mike--

My mom was the same way. She took a great liking to her iPad 2 when she got it about a year ago. Prior to that we had a desktop and a laptop for my parents, but they just didn't get it. It was the iPad that open the doors for both of them. I believe your mom will really enjoy it. My mom is no expert on it. Yes, she calls me or my nephew often if there's a problem...but all in all, she just loves it. She now sports an iPad mini which she loves too!

Let us know what your outcome is! Would love to hear what she thinks of it! :)

10. Bennettb

Bennettb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Mike, I'm an old lady, 75. I don't do anything fancy but my iPad is a joy. Just taking pictures of the grandkids or a quilt I'm making (no fancy pics) is very satisfying. Reading on line is wonderful. Your mom will figure it out and love it.

Bobbi