What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best video player apps for ipad

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have you try vlc media player app yet its not perfect but at least its free and can take a lot of various format without converting :thumbs:

Don't use VLC.

1, it's long been removed from AppStore

2, it sucks - has very low-quality codecs.

Get something better - for example, if you do want to stick with free apps, the free version of MoliPlayer. It's WAAAAY better.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gosh, I'm so lost. So what's a good video player I can use to play videos on my ipad? All this time I thought we had to convert the videos to be able to play it on ipad. I have been using handbrake but it takes soo long.

Did you know you can also remux (most of) your files, instead of fully reconverting it? I really recommend checking out my remuxing tutorials. (Sorry, can't provide a link. Just google for "Additional Subler tips and tricks". It's a remuxing tutorial with tons of references - a lot other sites have even mirrored the entire article.)

Dark Lady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm using AVPlayerHD, it's very simple in exploitation, this app plays nearly all video formats, this suits me. For playing video files it’s my choice.

samet19o7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dark Lady said:
I'm using AVPlayerHD, it's very simple in exploitation, this app plays nearly all video formats, this suits me. For playing video files itÂ’s my choice.

Yes you are right but there isnt avplayer in appstore its old

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think iMedia Player is useful and its free

It's not bad but has some problems like lack of Retina support. My full review:

iMedia Player (AppStore link)
(The interface of iMedia Player during playback using software decoding. As you can easily see, there's no Retina iPad 3 support – videos are rendered at the resolution of 1024*768. As usual, click the image for the original-sized version.)

Pros

- Free but still capable of quality playback with some formats

- Very good WMV playback for WMV or VC-1 files with no WMA Pro audio. (WMA Pro isn't at all supported)

- Very good software H.264 decoder at 720p (albeit lipsynch issues are a real pain)

- Very good MS-MPEG4 decoder

- 15/15s quick rewinding / fast forwarding with single-finger swipes and dedicated ffwd / rewind icons. Doesn't work in hardware decoding mode, though.

- Good ATSC DVB 1080i60 MPEG-2 playback – unlike for SD broadcasts

- Support for HW playback of native iDevice file formats – uses the original interface, allowing access to everything (audio / subtitle track selection etc.). HOWEVER, swipe-or button-based repositioning doesn't work in this case!

- FLAC and Ape support (audio)

- Tries to find album artwork for audio playback. A screenshot of this:

Cons

- No iPad 3 Retina support with SW-decoded videos. (HW decoding does use the full resolution!)

- No SSA subtitle support: the []Suzumiya subs are displayed as unstyled English – not even the Japanese text is shown

- Poor SD DVB 576i50 support

- Doesn't even list MTS videos, let alone playing them

- Lipsynch issues with a lot of videos

- Poor (very slow) M-JPEG decoder (for unconverted camera videos)

- Constantly displays annoying ad dialogs. Some other, also free players do this much more discretely and in no way such an annoying manner; for example, RockPlayer2.

- Swipe-or button-based repositioning doesn't work with hardware decoding

- No OGG video support

- WMA support-wise, not better than all the other iOS players (except for XBMC, of course)

Verdict

If you don't need Retina support for the iPad 3 and don't want to play back formats not (OGG, MTS videos, WMA Pro audio also extensively used in WMV videos etc.) or poorly (standard-definition DVB MPEG-2 TS or M-JPEG videos; ASS subtitles etc.) supported, you may want to give it a try - after all, it's free.

Moderator Notice: removed developer website link.

Last edited by a moderator:

samet19o7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Menneisyys said:
It's not bad but has some problems like lack of Retina support. My full review:

iMedia Player (AppStore link)https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/092012/iMediaPlayer/IMG_1584.jpeg
(The interface of iMedia Player during playback using software decoding. As you can easily see, there's no Retina iPad 3 support – videos are rendered at the resolution of 1024*768. As usual, click the image for the original-sized version.)

Pros

- Free but still capable of quality playback with some formats

- Very good WMV playback for WMV or VC-1 files with no WMA Pro audio. (WMA Pro isn't at all supported)

- Very good software H.264 decoder at 720p (albeit lipsynch issues are a real pain)

- Very good MS-MPEG4 decoder

- 15/15s quick rewinding / fast forwarding with single-finger swipes and dedicated ffwd / rewind icons. Doesn't work in hardware decoding mode, though.

- Good ATSC DVB 1080i60 MPEG-2 playback – unlike for SD broadcasts

- Support for HW playback of native iDevice file formats – uses the original interface, allowing access to everything (audio / subtitle track selection etc.). HOWEVER, swipe-or button-based repositioning doesn't work in this case!

- FLAC and Ape support (audio)

- Tries to find album artwork for audio playback. A screenshot of this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/092012/iMediaPlayer/IMG_1585.jpeg

Cons

- No iPad 3 Retina support with SW-decoded videos. (HW decoding does use the full resolution!)

- No SSA subtitle support: the Suzumiya subs are displayed as unstyled English – not even the Japanese text is shown

- Poor SD DVB 576i50 support

- Doesn't even list MTS videos, let alone playing them

- Lipsynch issues with a lot of videos

- Poor (very slow) M-JPEG decoder (for unconverted camera videos)

- Constantly displays annoying ad dialogs. Some other, also free players do this much more discretely and in no way such an annoying manner; for example, RockPlayer2.

- Swipe-or button-based repositioning doesn't work with hardware decoding

- No OGG video support

- WMA support-wise, not better than all the other iOS players (except for XBMC, of course)

Verdict

If you don't need Retina support for the iPad 3 and don't want to play back formats not (OGG, MTS videos, WMA Pro audio also extensively used in WMV videos etc.) or poorly (standard-definition DVB MPEG-2 TS or M-JPEG videos; ASS subtitles etc.) supported, you may want to give it a try - after all, it's free.

First of all thank you for your explain. I have ipad2 and its useful for me. I want to ask, which player you use?

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all thank you for your explain. I have ipad2 and its useful for me. I want to ask, which player you use?

Most of the time, "It's Playing" because of its excellent DSP's and excellent features like VobSub support for even MP4 files.

kazzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using It's Playing for a while now. I can share folders and stream videos from my Windows 7 computer over my 802.11g wireless network. It handles 720p x264/h.264 mkv files very well for the most part with occasional blocky artifacts which last for a second or two. It is a minor annoyance. Unfortunately, the newest versions no longer support AC3 audio. Luckily, I did not upgrade to the latest version so am still able to play videos with AC3.

Most reactions

Latest posts