Best video player apps for ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iPad100, Jan 26, 2011.

1. moutzu

moutzu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Actually I just want to view some FLV videos in my iPad. Since there is no free It's Playing app, what is your view of this 8Player Lite? Will this Player meet my need? Or an alternative better Player you may want to suggest which I will be very appreciative.

2. Temp45

Temp45
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I was frustrated by the poor performance of the video apps; however, the search is over.

I bought AVplayerHD monthes ago , performance is not that outstanding. It could not play my 720p video smoothly. it really distract the experience. It was very irritating. I started searching for other options and do not seem to find a better alternative.

Recently, I just updated AVplayerHD and I am amazed by its improved performance. All the video that had frame rate problem are playing smoothly !!!!!!! I am satisfied.

Give it a try, the recent updates actually brought improvement to performance.

3. Menneisyys

Menneisyys
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The new (2.0.3) version is much better than the previous ones. Let me cite myself (no links, sorry):

The last time I've discussed FlexPlayer I've published a very bad review of the player, telling everyone to stay away. After a huuuge, long-promised update today, I've re-tested the app to find out whether it's any better than before. As it has turned out: much better and, in some (but not all!) cases (video file types), it can be THE most recommended free player.

The good:

- the H.264 software decoder is indeed way-way better than before. In previous versions, only the first frame is shown of the standard Monsters video encoded at 1080p using H.264 in a MKV container. Now, the test video is played back with around 5-10 fps. It is still slower than the software decoder of AVPlayerHD. (Speaking of AVPlayerHD and its recently-received MKV / AVI hardware playback support, there is nothing like that in FP. That is, it's still not recommended for MKV playback, as opposed to AVPlayerHD.)

- quick repositioning (see article HERE for more info) is implemented in a much better way: now, you can just swipe left/right (instead of trying to touch some icons) and, instead of 60 second steps, now 30 seconds are skipped, which is much better.

- MPEG2 support is way better. 1080i60 HD content is played back at a much higher speed. While the previous versions were totally useless for playing them back (demo video HERE), the new version plays it with almost the same speed as the players I've listed HERE.

- decent scrubbing (repositioning) is implemented in a way it should be done: the repositioning speed depends on the vertical position of your finger and the current (target) frame is also shown. All this in both software and hardware(!) decoding modes.

- you can quickly (with two/three taps) fine-tune the audio / video synchronization. This is pretty rare among players, let alone free ones. Unfortunately, you can't do the same to subtitles.

- There is better SSA / ASS subtitle support (SRT was supported in earlier versions too). For example, the ASS subtitles of the standard Suzumiya test video are no longer messed up (they were in previous versions). Nevertheless, they're only shown textually and in no way animated (as can XBMC and HD Player Pro (used to be ATK Player by Khoa Tran Anh)).

- play-audio-in-background has also been implemented. Works for both SW and HW-decoded videos but can't be disabled.

The bad:

- The MSMPEG4 support (see the Buck Bunny 1080p MSMPEG-4 AVI video) is, while much better than earlier (back then, not a single frame(!) was shown), still definitely worse than that of the top players (My quick list of them is HERE).

- Still no DVB TS subtitle support (actually, the playback generally just crashes when you try to switch between subtitle tracks with the newly-introduced single up/down swipes) or any support for audio file formats.

- There's absolutely no way to switch audio or subtitle tracks during either hardware playback with multiple audio / subtitle tracks

- While the app does support subtitles, you won't be able to access them during hardware playback (that is, those of MP4 / M4V / MOV files).

- The app very frequently crashes. Not only when you try to quickly rewind 30 seconds after starting a title, but also sometimes right during playback.

Verdict

Well, a player that previously was absolutely bad and in no way recommended, now, has earned my (conditional) recommendation.

Now, if you're looking for a decent hardware MP4 / M4V / MOV player or software MPEG-2 DVB player and the above-listed cons (for example, total lack of DVB or hardware playback subtitle or audio track change support) aren't a problem, you can safely give this app a try. It has some features (quick rewind / fast forward with swiping; iTunes File Sharing transfer) that make it a way better choice than the built-in Videos – and it's free! Unfortunately, few free(!) apps support such a wide array of niceties like swipe-based quick rewind/fast forward, MP4 / M4V / MOV hardware playback or Retina screen support in one app. If these are what you look for, this app is now a decent alternative.

Nevertheless, don't forget: for software playback, the best players (even the free QQPlayerHD!) deliver sometimes way better performance. You, therefore, don't necessarily want to use this player for, say, MSMPEG4 HD playback (MPEG-2 DVB is another question; now, it's pretty good). The same stands for supporting subtitles, several audio tracks etc, in which the app still severely lacks in both hardware MP4 / M4V / MOV playback and some lesser-used, software-decoded formats like DVB TS files.

4. rki

rki
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Purchased Oplayer, Buzzplayer, AVPlayerHD, CineXPlayer and Goodplayer.

My favourite is AVPlayerHD and Buzzplayer.

Still waiting for a player that can upload files to my seagate goflex satellite without using other apps such as Goodreader. That will then be the perfect app for me!

5. Beherith

Beherith
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    As for me VM Player is the best - supports a lot of formats and directly(!) playing from network share via SMB, FTP, UPnP. Waiting for 1.7 app update - they promise smb file uploading and playing music directly from iTunes library.

6. Menneisyys

Menneisyys
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So, you're shamelessly advertising your stuff not only at the M*******s forums, but also here?

7. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Beherith's posts seem to be in context at the moment. So long as they remain that way, there should be no problem. Just a word of warning though. Thread hijacking, especially for advertising purposes, is not considered acceptable behavior here. A reminder of a couple of pertinent rules.

8. Menneisyys

Menneisyys
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    He's working for Velestar Private Enterprise; still, while he advertises their stuff everywhere (not only here - over at M********s (another, competing forum; in e-mail, I can give you the exact threads), he posted exactly the same message three times), he acts like an independent user.

I wouldn't have any problem with this behaviour if the product he advertises this way would be any good. But it isn't.

9. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info.

The quality of the software is for purchasers to determine and I think it's best left at that. Your post can stand as a counter to what you obviously see as an inferior product. However, as no forum rules have been broken there is no reason to delete posts based on one bad review. If we did that we would not have an app announcement section.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

10. Beherith

Beherith
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    May be it looks like advertising, but I really use vm player every evening to watch movies from my home media server via smb and upnp. Why I cannot like this player? I used some another (both free and paid) players before, but IMHO (!) vm player is better than alternatives I used. I just want to watch movies directly (without downloading) from the server and VM Player do that.
    Moreover rki is waiting for the player that can upload files to network shares. VM Player 1.7 will do that - it's just a suggestion for rki.