Best video player apps for ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iPad100, Jan 26, 2011.

1. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    GoodPlayer will stream via uPNP or SMB but so will Buzz. I assume AcePlayer will be the same as well. They will all probably do a similar job.

2. mamurao

mamurao
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    thanks , i read that buzz player is good on streaming UPNP but my dlink dns-323 has issues in streaming via upnp , i'll try good player and ace player , cheers, liking the ipad2 more now ,i have file browser but it does not recognized the video files but good for pictures and mp3.

3. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Good luck and keep us posted. Out the two apps you mention, GoodPlayer is the most mature and actively developed at the moment if that helps your decision. All three stream flawlessly from my NAS though so the apps themselves are fine.

4. yusufjee

yusufjee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    So no one has tried flex:player which is a FREE application and plays everything smooth except mkv which stutters.

Also is there a way of increasing volume in these applications? Some of the videos i watchi have low volume and its hard to hear without complete silence. I am wondering which of the applications mentioned in this thread has setting to increase/gain the playback volume

5. scottnsf

scottnsf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    playback volume

i've found that it's not so much the player (xcept for VLC) but often how the vid was done. so i just got a little $15 external stereo speaker and use it when i feel the need.

6. Acextreme

Acextreme
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    FlexPlayer has a serious lack in its file management capability, which is totally unacceptable for, I believe, most of us. However, at the price of zero, you can't really demand too much. I have tried most of the players on my iPhone 4, most of them stutters or can't play .mkv with h264 encodes at resolution of 1280x720 fluidly. Of those players that stutters, AVPlayer did the playback much more efficiently (i.e. video was relatively smoother and the lag between audio and video being the least though still unacceptable). GoodPlayer and AcePlayer failed to even play the video, only sound.

#166 Acextreme, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  7. chevyguy

chevyguy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Maybe a setting on your phone, I use AVPlayerHD on my iPad 2 with zero stutter or lag and no sync issues what so ever, when playing 1280x720 .mkv files.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

8. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You can't compare an iPad 2 to the iPhone 4. The iPad 2 has a faster, 1Ghz dual core cpu compared to the iPhones 800Mhz single core.

9. chevyguy

chevyguy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, thought the new iPhone had the same processor. In that case you'd be correct, apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

10. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The iPhone 4s has the same processor as the iPad 2 although the 4s is clocked at a slower speed 800Mhz v 1Ghz so the 4s is a much closer comparison.