1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

AnyAttach - Attach Any File to E-Mail (While In Mail App)

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Applications & Tweaks' started by Mickey330, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    It's finally here! The ability to add any attachment into your e-mail,while you are IN the Mail app, composing that oh-so-important message. Any attachment…

AnyAttach ($1.99, USD):
    [Cydia Description] A tweak that enables you to attach arbitrary files to your emails right from inside MobileMail. It comes with a file and photo/video picker that is accessible via the paper clip button that will be added to the subject bar in the mail compose window. No icon will be added to your homescreen. Options can be configured from the Settings app.

The screen shots aren't that exciting. But, it's still cool to see it. Here's the paperclip icon in an e-mail I'm composing:

[​IMG]

And then, here's one where I can browse to locate the document I wish to add:

[​IMG]

The only "problem" with this is you have to know, for example, what the real file name of GoodReader is, so that you can decipher which app has your file. That's an easy fix. Either memorize the first part of the number (I've learned the codes for GoodReader, iAnnotate and Atomic Web) or write them down somewhere (or maybe put the info in your Notes app) for later reference. Easy peasy. Oh, and note they are unique to each iPad, so there's no creating a master list for all to share…

EDIT TO THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH: Thanks to f4780y's eagle eyes - you can see the "real" names of your apps. Go to the settings for AnyAttch (in the iPad Settings app) and you can turn ON the ability to Show App Names. You can also opt to show hidden files or the entire filesystem here. So, it's even easier (and better) than I thought! No searching, no memorizing. Just go to the app, find your file, "paste" it in. Piece of cake.

Just think. You're typing that Reply e-mail and you want to add a document. Hit that paperclip, browse to the folder it's in and attach it. Finish the e-mail and send it off.

Or, say you want to add some photos. The tweak has a separate section to allow you to browse your Photo app for any photo or video. You can select more than one image at a time. I don't know the limit, but I successfully selected and e-mailed 10 wallpaper images to myself. Took a bit to send (each wallpaper was a 1024 x 1024 image), but they sent and received just fine.

Here's a shot of the selection for photos (the green check marks are for photos I've selected for e-mailing):

[​IMG]

So, yeah, this should have been available right from the start. Well, it's here now and it's an inexpensive buy. So, what are you waiting for? Go on, get over to Cydia... :D

Marilyn
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. kingnba6

kingnba6 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    sweet, makes my life so much easier. i always used to copy and paste the pictures; which sucked
  3. Darkstar2007

Darkstar2007 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    I'm gonna have try this for the iPhone :D
  4. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    Why oh why oh why can't Apple make that paperclip available to everyone?

Jailbreak to the rescue again! Nice writeup Marilyn :D

Handy Tip - Use iFile to browse your applicaitons folder (make sure you have the "Application Names" setting on). Then you can easily and quickly look up the folder "code" for the application you want to attach from... Might save you having to remember too many codes!
  5. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    Handy Tip 2 - There is an option to show application names in the Settings of the Any Attach tweak :D
  6. AfternoonShift

AfternoonShift iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i can access my dropbox files from the paperclip as well?
  7. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    Oh, thanks for this, f4780y!

I never thought to look in the Settings because when Safari Upload Enabler (a different tweak also reviewed here) came out, it didn't have that option. It's been since updated, but I just figured that we'd have to wait until the developers "fixed" AnyAttach.

I'm glad you noticed this - and I'm going to edit the original overview just in case no one makes it this far.

Thanks again. That knowledge made an awesome tweak even more awesomer!! :D

Marilyn
  8. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    It doesn't appear you can access Dropbox "in the cloud" with this paperclip tweak. But, if you knew the path, I don't see why you couldn't access your favorites, though. They're saved on the iPad.

Or, go to Dropbox via iFile, download something and put it in iFile (maybe in the Documents folder). Then, you can access it from the Mail app.

Worth looking into, yeah?

Marilyn
  9. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    Okay, I get to change my answer from the post above (#8).

The AnyAttach tweak just got an update - and now you can access your Dropbox account. How cool is that? Here's the selection screen:

[​IMG]

And, I've tested it. Works great. So, I can send an e-mail from my iPad after attaching a file or photo from an "in the cloud" storage location. Man, I loves me some programmers!

Anyway. This was just an update...

Marilyn
  10. fredc

fredc iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To attach a photo to a new email or an email you are replaying (without the need of any app or jailbreaking your devise):

1) go to your camera roll and open the photo you want to attach
    2) press with one finger on the photo for a while until you get the copy option and select it.
    3) Now go back to the email you are working on and position your finger, press and wait until the paste option appears and select it

Done!! you just attached a photo. I did not try with PDF's though.
  11. mikespe

mikespe iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Figures not compatible with 5.1.1!!!
  12. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    How is this not working for you? I have it installed on my iPad3 and it works very well. I'm able to send an e-mail from the iPad or access Dropbox to attach an file from there.

Can you not download or install the tweak from Cydia or does it not work on your iPad? I'd be interested to know what might be the differences - what type of iPad do you have?

Please, tell us where the problem is that you are having with this tweak. Maybe we can figure out a solution...

Marilyn
  13. mikespe

mikespe iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Cydia says it's not compatible with my device
  14. mikespe

mikespe iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Here is what I get in Cydia....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1338086480.032785.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    Huh.

I wonder now if it's okay to run on my iPad3...

Maybe I was able to download it because I had already purchased it before (back when I had the iPad1 on iOS 4.3.3)? There was another tweak that I tried to put on my brother-in-law's phone that was on mine - it said the same thing. Ran fine on mine, but I couldn't put it on his. This is another example of that situation. Weird.

Regardless, may be you might want to contact the developer? I know that there are ways they code their tweaks to ID which iDevices they ca run on, maybe the developer can run a quick check to update this one. You can use me as an example cause I guarantee you, it's definitely installed and, as far as I can tell, working great on the iPad3.

Sorry, but I'm of no assistance. Hopefully, the developer can get it updated soon so you can get it.

Marilyn
  16. nammi

nammi iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    dont know on ipad 3 but any attach works on my 5.1.1 jailbroken 3G ipad 2

f4780y gave a rather intersting explanation on another thread about cydia package purchasing behaviour whereby if we already paid for a package we can always install it on another device no matter if its compatible or not. but for a new buyer there can be a notification if its not compatible ..
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  17. Wokiebear

Wokiebear iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hey update on Any Attach. It works on my iPad3 now
  18. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    Wow. That was a quick update! Good on them.

And, thanks for updating the rest of the folk who may want this tweak - and are eagerly awaiting the update. It is a very handy one to have...

Marilyn
  19. mrjayviper

mrjayviper iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bought this a few weeks ago but has remained untouched. didn't bother to install when I restored the 4s/ipad3 last night.
  20. mefnj

mefnj iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does this only work with the built in email program on the iPad or with any email program including we mail clients and
    Outlook on the web? I went to attach files using the latter two, and it would not even allow me to search for the files I wanted to attach... The choose file buttons were greyed out.

Sorry, iPad/iOS noob here...

-m