What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All finger pinch gesture to minmize apps not very sensitive

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know if its just me, but since upgrading my Air 1 to iOS9, I find minimizing apps with the 'all finger pinch' gesture has lost its sensitivity and is clumsy to use. It works, but most times I have to make 2 - 3 attempts to minimize the app.

In iOS7 and 8, it was second nature for me to do this. It became my preferred method of minimizing apps because It worked every time. Since upgrading to 9, I've had to start using the side button to minimize apps.

Am I the only one seeing this?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's working without problems on my iPad Air, also the first generation. I'm regularly using this gesture to close/switch apps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you've just updated, give it a few hours to a day to settle in. There's often a lot of background indexing going on right after an update, and that can bog down the processor.

Also, if you have not done so, try reseting the iPad. That often helps right after an update.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's been a few days now... I've done a reset and it still does it. Not only that, but the "All finger swipe up" gesture (to display the minimized apps) isn't as sensitive either. But, it's not as bad as the minimize gesture.

Since nobody else has replied, I guess it's just me that's experiencing this. Either that, or most don't mind the decrease in screen sensitivity. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It could easily be a little of both. Different people have different expectations and perceptions of how well an interface is working. It's also possible your iPad is acting worse. As much as we would like it to be, no two iPads are identical, and it's always possible that your unique setup is not responding as well to iOS 9 as others.

The most obviously culprits are other apps, and how much storage you have left on the device. Other apps sometimes have background tasks that run a lot (FaceBooks a big culprit). Less than 1 GB of storage can cause a lot of resource switching, and slow things down.

Even if those are good, there are always settings combinations that can cause unexpected results, minor errors in the actual iOS system files or a small section of RAM that is unreliable and causing mini-crashes that recover in the background, and of course, you iPad could be cursed by Murphy. Sacrificing a chicken may or may not help. (a joke, not a suggestion promoting animal sacrifice).

You can try re-installing iOS 9 using iTunes and a computer. Even if this is the method you used the first time, it's possible it might work better a second time.

Good luck.

P.S. There are reports on the internet that other's, especially iPad 2 owners, are having problems. This is, unfortunately, expected. There are always some problems with an update, no matter what platform you are on. However the number of issues seem to be less frequent and malign than in the last couple of years. Probably because this update was less ambitions feature wise, and concentrated a lot on under the hood improvements and reliability.

Of course, it's far to early to be certain that serious and widespread problems won't crop up. The cautious user should probably wait for the first or second 9.x.x update; especially if they have older devices.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, I dug out my old iPad 1. The minimize gesture is flawless on it. I never miss. I don't even have to think about what I'm doing. On the Air, it sometimes takes 3-4 pinches to minimize an app.

It seems it's only the pinch to minimize and "upswipe" to display the minimized apps that doesn't work well. All the other pokes and swipes on the screen are fine.

I've got an Apple store nearby. I might take it to them in the next week or so and let the geniuses have a look at it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's too bad. I can't really compare, since I don't use those gestures myself. I have a few apps (mostly drawing apps) that tend to react badly to them, so I just do without.

I'd worry about my Home button wearing out, except I've never kept and iPad that long. :)

Please keep us informed.

Rumors are the first minor update for iOS 9 should be out within a couple weeks. Might help.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the help anyway.. It looks like I might be 'forced' into trading up to an iPad Pro when they come out in November :)

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not for nothing, I assume multigesters is turned on. If the iPad is plugged into the charger when you are trying this, unplug (at the iPad) it and try. In the past I have had trouble with with gestures and my Bluetooth stylus while using them on an iPad charging on a non apple charger. Once removed both where fine. Now I only use an actual apple charger and lighting cord.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have iPad 4. Didn't even know about the five finger swipe. Tried it and it works well on mine. Think that's something I will use, thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts