What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actiavating an iPad

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There might be a tweak for stoping the browser out there but to do that you will need to jailbreak your device . I know, it's very annoying ... would be way better if safari would open up a blank tab and not reload your last page. :)

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to sync your iPad with Linux | Linux User

My bad. Forgot to include the link in the reply above. Think I saw something somewhere mentioning about going into settings and digging around in the browser to empty cache etc. So, if that can be set to automatically be done upon closing then would be nice. Notice that whenever I go to maps or some other app I had been in it automatically shows what I was doing before. Can be a pain in the butt getting away from that also. Especially the map app. Real small area to keep tapping into to get a new area to check out. Will be looking for a lot of open source apps to put on there then. Don't want to give out my credit card just for free apps. And like you mentioned the free ones aren't all that good except for maybe Google Earth. But I could probably get that also elsewhere once I get my system set up so I can transfer things over to the iPad from my Ubuntu desktop. From what I can see when doing a Google there appears to be a lot of sites coming up with things to try. Quite a lot of Videos on YouTube on doing things like this also.
I think I still have all of my old XP Cd's from where I had made a backup copy when I first got my computer. But, don't look forward to installing them all on a VB or VM. Is there a short abbreviated one that works somewhere? :D

GB.

Last edited:

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really need to know if the above mentioned method to sync your device is working on ubuntu 10.10 .I shall try it but only when I get home , and that might take a few hours.
Even if you make a tweak that automatically clears your safari's cache that wouldn't work for me because I like leaving a few open pages in it just not to open them every time I close safari .
Well, if you don't want to jailbreak your iPad there's no need for you to install windows .You can just use the above mentioned method to sync your files to your device on ubuntu(if works,and I'm really curious if it actually does) .

I am very sorry for telling you that you need to add a credit card when you create an itunes user Id because you're not ... Here is how you can do it directly from your iPad http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Georgia boy said:

This "how to" is out of date. With the iOS 4.3, you cannot sync anymore. Something to do with some hash code... They will surely fix it, if not already. But I have 10.10, and still no luck with the iPad and iPhone under iOS 4.3.1

I'm pretty sure they are working on it as we speak and a fix will be out pretty soon.

Next release 11.04 is supporting apps folders which is pretty darn cool to upload content into those apps like OPlayer HD. In this case, it does work.

VicoPad addict!

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
This "how to" is out of date. With the iOS 4.3, you cannot sync anymore. Something to do with some hash code... They will surely fix it, if not already. But I have 10.10, and still no luck with the iPad and iPhone under iOS 4.3.1

I'm pretty sure they are working on it as we speak and a fix will be out pretty soon.

Next release 11.04 is supporting apps folders which is pretty darn cool to upload content into those apps like OPlayer HD. In this case, it does work.

VicoPad addict!

Well...ubuntu 11.04 will be released at the end of this month but I think you can sync with into apps like avplayer or oplayer on the 11.04 beta right?
If so , you could easily set up a virtual machine with the beta ubuntu to sync iPhones and iPads , right?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
While said:
Well...ubuntu 11.04 will be released at the end of this month but I think you can sync with into apps like avplayer or oplayer on the 11.04 beta right?
If so , you could easily set up a virtual machine with the beta ubuntu to sync iPhones and iPads , right?

Yep! Or you could have a bootable USB stick instead of a VMware...

VicoPad addict!

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even better , I'm going to do that as soon as the untethered 4.3.1 is out so I can update. At this time I'm still on 4.2.1 and can use it on ubuntu 10.10

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Sweet to realize that I'm not alone here with using Ubuntu. When I won the iPad I also won a year's free tech support from Dummies.com. I had trouble changing their password. So I called them and was told to go to IE, download some program. Told them that I use Ubuntu and didn't have any Windows on my computer at all. Was told that at this time they do not support any Linux but are working on doing so. Said that I can email/call for help on various subjects other than Linux issues at the moment. Wonder if they would send me some free Dummies books.;)
So, 11.04 will be supportive of apps for iPad? Will we just be able to plug in and get apps from there? How about Lucid? Is there a quick and easy way to do so here?
What kind of apps are you able to swap over? Would we be able to swap over any OOo or Libre Office such as writer or calac etc? I know a lot of probably dumb ones to ask but I'm new at this and don't know what we can get and what we can't.
Was out window shopping at an office store that deals with computers etc. Was looking for something that we can use with the iPad. Didn't see anything though. Too bad we can't hook up a web camera to it too. But then again, this isn't a computer is it? Oh well, I'll just keep looking around here in the forum for great suggestions that you guys and gals are coming up with all the time.
Thanks for the help and support.

GB

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop... Still a bit buggy, but could not wait ;)

I tried to sync music but still no luck at the moment. But for Documents folders, it does work. So if you install any app that have support for USB transfer, it will show in the mount point. There, you can drag and drop any file supported by the apps like any USB stick. Works like a charm!

VicoPad addict!

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop... Still a bit buggy, but could not wait ;)

I tried to sync music but still no luck at the moment. But for Documents folders, it does work. So if you install any app that have support for USB transfer, it will show in the mount point. There, you can drag and drop any file supported by the apps like any USB stick. Works like a charm!

VicoPad addict!

Damn...I don't really care about my apps ... Those I can get any time from the app store.The music sync'ing interests me.
Anyway, thanks for the update.At least now I know I have to wait until the final 11.04 release at the end of the month.There wil be a third beta update on ubuntu 11.04 on the 14th this month :))) maybe it will be fixed then

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Don't know if any of you have checked this out or not. http://openubuntu.com/index.php It's a real relaxed forum where people using Ubuntu can get help and also just to relax and unwind. Fun, helpful bunch. No topic/subject taboo that I know of. At least we haven't pushed the limit on any yet. :D
If you haven't checked into this give it a whirl and see what you think. But keep an open mind, the language can get rough in there at times but mostly in joking. If language don't offend then check into it. As I mentioned, helpful and relaxing at the same time. Just like sitting down with your feet propped up, beer in hand and b.s.ing with your friends and family.

What do you mean by the "untethered 4.3.1"? I know that the 4.3.1 will be the newer version but what do you mean by the untethered part?
I wonder if Lucid will be updated to be able to work with the iPad like 11.4 is starting to be. Do you use Cydia on yours or the app store?

Learning a lot here all the time just like I'm always learning with Ubuntu.

GB

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Untethered is the new jailbreak for 4.3.1 that was released yesturday.It means that you can reboot the phone/iPad without having to install the jailbreak again.
Why would you even consider remaining on lucid after 11.04 will be out at the end of the month?
I'm going to check out that forum.I wont mind the language, trust me.

Sent from my Blackberry ... nah ... just kidding !

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the stability I've gotten so far with Lucid. Except for when it was updated and my scanner went out of wack it's played nice. Also had some fun with Compiz. Was trying something out with it and had to boot back in safe and remove Compiz so I could get back to normal. I was messing with transparencies and let go of the mouse. You can imagine what went through my mind and the cussing I did when I couldn't see anything no matter how many items I opened up on the desktop. All I could see was the desktop. I had to go and get rid of it again and start over. After that I found out about the on and off switch for Compiz. Other than things like that by learning it's been a good version for me. Can't complain.

Maybe I'll install VB and experiment with other versions as they come out and also other distros. Heard about Pinguy but after downloaded to desktop(took a long time to do this) discovered I'd need a DVD to put it on that it wouldn't fit on a CD. Some say that it's a nice distro for newbies to try out. That it's easier than most and from what I can see and hear about very similar to Windows so that the Windows users feel more comfortable with it. Would have to try it out to make sure before recommending to family and friends.
Oh, when I was at the Apple Store they asked why I didn't activate at home. When I explained I didn't have Windows they asked what I used. Told them Ubuntu. Had to explain what Ubuntu is to them. Then they asked why I didn't use Apple. Told them that I had a HP and that I wanted something to use on it besides Windows to be safer etc. The individual was telling me that he uses the Apple at home and that he don't worry about virus because of the Unix. Told him that I too don't worry about Virus, spam etc. Didn't bother to tell him that I didn't need to spend an outrageous amount of money of the Apple when I can get a great OS for free. Let them figure that out for themselves right?

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He'll yeah!! Linux is free and if I need a unix OS I can always use solaris or freebsd.I've used apple's software and it's extremely user friendly.And when I say user friendly I mean fool proof. I also like fedora.
I've been a gnome user since I can remember , feels more Linux.kde has more of w bling bling to it but I've seen and heard about the new kde that's coming out with the 11.04 and I'm seriously thinking about switching to kubuntu...what do you think?
Have you ever tried xubuntu?
I also like centos and of course last but not least my favorite debian.

Sent from my Blackberry ... nah ... just kidding !

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried KDE format with the Knoppix before. I didn't like it. Plus I didn't like the bit of being a Live CD use only. They recommended that you don't install on the hd. So when the IT person recommended Ubuntu and burned a Live CD for me I tried it out and really like the gnome. Thought about trying out the KDE of the others but when checking out the screen shots I got turned off again. For some reason I took to gnome like a duck to water. So used to it that when I use the Windows at work I really hate doing so. Don't like the layout at all. So far I'll stick to gnome. Haven't tried the others. I go to distro watch all the time and see what's new and improved out there and check out their sites. Some look interesting.Had burned a Live CD of GNU but damn thing refused to see my Internet when using the CD. So, decided not to play with it any longer after not finding my Internet. Still watching and reading on others all the time just to see if there's something to catch my interest. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts