What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actiavating an iPad

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It didn't see your Internet because you needed to install a driver .I also hate KDE but have you taken a look at the new one?It looks just great ?It's gorgeous .

Sent from my Blackberry...nah...just kidding

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It didn't see your Internet because you needed to install a driver .I also hate KDE but have you taken a look at the new one?It looks just great ?It's gorgeous .

Wonder why I'd have to install a driver just to test the Internet when using the Live CD of GNU. Nothing was mentioned except not finding the Internet. Didn't have any problems with Mint CD when trying that one out. Wonder what kind of driver would have been missing. Maybe if I had installed instead of just using Live CD it might have downloaded? Didn't want to install until I tried everything and if Internet wasn't working I wasn't going to install right off the get go.
Everything else seemed to work except the Internet if I remember right. Got rid of the CD when I couldn't connect. Decided that it wasn't worth the hassle to figure out what was wrong with the CD at the time.

I'll have to check out the new KDE and see what's going on. Good screen shots?
Have you checked out the Open Ubuntu site yet?

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I have , it's really nice.
The cd wasn't the problem.Your wireless driver wasn't included in the live version but as soon as you ran an update it would have shown up at the "restricted drivers" area for you to install.If not you could just do a search on google.I used to have the same problem with older ubuntu distros but as of ubuntu 10.04 they're kinda thinking about everything and I never seen a laptop with a problem on the live cd.
You should keep in mind that Linux distros are not allowed to create drivers . Nvidia and ati are createing the video drivers for every os out there.This is one of the reasons some of them suck so bad on ubuntu.
In my opinion , windows is a game platform , Mac is a music / video editing tool and Linux is a true OS.Unix would be a even truer :))

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I have , it's really nice.
The cd wasn't the problem.Your wireless driver wasn't included in the live version but as soon as you ran an update it would have shown up at the "restricted drivers" area for you to install.If not you could just do a search on google.I used to have the same problem with older ubuntu distros but as of ubuntu 10.04 they're kinda thinking about everything and I never seen a laptop with a problem on the live cd.
You should keep in mind that Linux distros are not allowed to create drivers . Nvidia and ati are createing the video drivers for every os out there.This is one of the reasons some of them suck so bad on ubuntu.
In my opinion , windows is a game platform , Mac is a music / video editing tool and Linux is a true OS.Unix would be a even truer :))

Ah, would have had to installed the GNU and run an update? But, that wouldn't have worked since it couldn't see the Internet right?

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well , if wireless was the one that didn't work then you could have used LAN to update .

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well , if wireless was the one that didn't work then you could have used LAN to update .

Only laptop I have is the company one and I can't install Linux on it. It was my desktop that GNU didn't see the Internet connection on when using the Live CD.

Well, going to read some of the links I've come across and see if anything can be downloaded to my iPad or not. Wish luck. Might also head over to the Open Ubuntu forum and unwind a bit also. :D

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got Skype on the iPad. One thing I do miss is the smilies like what we have with the regular pc. Just don't see them there unless I'm not just seeing them somehow. When I connected the iPad to my pc I didn't notice where it showed connected. Thought that Lucid would notice right out of the box. I have that libremobledevice0 installed already. So, I thought that it would notice and be able to tell me that it was mounted. But somehow I didn't see it.
Got my free dummies book on the iPad the other day. Can't knock that either. Was on the pc doing some research and doing Skype with a friend on the iPad at the same time. Nice. Now just need to figure out how to get the other things working between the pc and iPad. And also the apps.
What happens when you jail break? Pain in the buns to do so? Remember now, I'm not a technical guru, event though I've been using Ubuntu since 08 I'm constantly learning things on it. But I got brave enough to ditch Windows completely and have no regrets. So, willing to learn and always learning. Just need to find things that makes sense to me and is simple to read. :D

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Georgia boy said:
Sync iOS4 with Rhythmbox in Ubuntu 10.04 | Digital World Portal

Check this out. Still researching. When I connected to Ubuntu I didn't see mounted. Maybe this is why? As I said. Still researching.

This is outdated...

VicoPad addict!

But, what I was wondering is if the version of libimobiledevice makes a difference or not. I have libimobiledevice0 on my system and the site mentions libimobiledevice1. So, I didn't know if that came into play or not. I'll still keep checking the various sites out there.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Georgia boy said:
But, what I was wondering is if the version of libimobiledevice makes a difference or not. I have libimobiledevice0 on my system and the site mentions libimobiledevice1. So, I didn't know if that came into play or not. I'll still keep checking the various sites out there.

Yes, that's the core in Ubuntu for iOS device support. For the latest news, see the ppa of the project.

VicoPad addict!

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went into the Snyaptic System and clicked the other two Libimobiledevices. Also went into software and installed the two iFuse. Restarted. Don't know if libimobiledevice updated or not. Haven't checked yet. Might have to do the ppa later. But I keep noticing that when I connect my iPad to the pc Lucid isn't showing connected. I hear a little noise when connecting but don't show anything connected. Checked all areas looking for it being there to unmount etc. Is it only when you have VB or Wine installed that the unit will show as connected to your pc? Just curious. Thought I'd see something on the desktop or in my places showing that I had something connected.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Georgia boy said:
Went into the Snyaptic System and clicked the other two Libimobiledevices. Also went into software and installed the two iFuse. Restarted. Don't know if libimobiledevice updated or not. Haven't checked yet. Might have to do the ppa later. But I keep noticing that when I connect my iPad to the pc Lucid isn't showing connected. I hear a little noise when connecting but don't show anything connected. Checked all areas looking for it being there to unmount etc. Is it only when you have VB or Wine installed that the unit will show as connected to your pc? Just curious. Thought I'd see something on the desktop or in my places showing that I had something connected.

Hum, I think you are over doing it... Ifuse is not required. And the default stock Ubuntu should show you at least one mount point. Something's wrong on your setup...

VicoPad addict!

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Georgia boy said:

Hum, I think you are over doing it... Ifuse is not required. And the default stock Ubuntu should show you at least one mount point. Something's wrong on your setup...

VicoPad addict!

My Ubuntu setup or the iPad?

Most reactions

Latest posts