What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actiavating an iPad

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I just received an iPad that I had won in a contest. Opened the box and turned on. Thing is blank! shows the icon for the usb cable and iTunes. My thing is that I have a computer with Ubuntu only on it. So, how do I go about activating the iPad? Would like to get it going. I need to get this activated so I can use it.

Thanks

GB

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You absolutely have to connect it to iTunes somehow...either Mac or PC. But an Apple Store will do it for you...just take it in...

Tim
Scotland

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Install oracle Virtual box and download a windows xp iso and set it up.After this you can install itunes on it and activate your iPad .
Also you can try installing iTunes on ubuntu using WINE but this might not work.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Install oracle Virtual box and download a windows xp iso and set it up.After this you can install itunes on it and activate your iPad .
Also you can try installing iTunes on ubuntu using WINE but this might not work.

Thanks! Tim is demoted to sub moderator....again!

Appreciate your solution......

Tim
Scotland

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Three choices are then to:
Take to Apple Store,
Install VB and find an XP iso somewehre,
or install Wine and try that way.
Thanks guys!
I've done research on google about doing the activation but all were talking basically about adding apps through Rhythmbox, or some of the others with using Linux. Couldn't find any site that would actually come out and say how to do an activation of an iPad fresh out of the box with it being blank using Linux. Don't think that my work would appreciate me going to ITunes on their laptop to activate my iPad by downloading the exec etc.
So, I'll try to give the suggestions a whirl this weekend.
Again, thanks for the help.

GB

Reaction score
My last state of information was, that iTunes does not work under Wine? Has this changed with one of the recent Wine updates?

The above mentioned solutions are viable and activating the iPad at an apple store will be the fastest solution, depending on how close you live to one. But you would have no backups of the iPad and would have to revisit the Apple Store every time an iOS update comes out.

So, installing windows and then iTunes in Virtual Box would be my advised method.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Wouhou! I feel like sharing my knowledge ;)

As said earlier, you can virtualize in VirtualBox or VMware, it does work (you'll have to download the VirtualBox from the site cause the one in the repo does not support USB)

As for iTunes under Wine, it will load and maybe work, but the USB is not working for now.

There is also a project called iDeviceActivate that is suppose to let you activate iDevices natively in Linux/Ubuntu but I never tried it. It's been a while since I checked that project...

Also, next release of Ubuntu 11.04 is supporting the document folder of the apps on the idevices... So now you have 2 mount points: one as it was before, and another one showing each app where you can put stuff in their document folder.

But beware that with the new iOS 4.3, rhytmbox is not able to update the music list anymore. Probably a near update will fix that.

One way I figured to transfer media files on the device was to use mediatomb on Ubuntu and Fusion Store Stream on the iPad/iPhone. It will let you browse your medias on your computer and let you download them locally in the app folders for later viewing/listening... That's the way I do it even if I have a winxp box running iTunes. I don't have to connect physically on the computer to select what I need on the go...

My 2 cents!

VicoPad addict!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe the issue with WINE is that it will only work with "older" versions of iTunes (don't ask me how old!) and you need the most recent version of iTunes in order to recognize the latest version of iOS.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is always the old dual boot computer solution. Less convenient than a virtual Windows environment, but almost guaranteed compatibility.

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry , posted by mistake .Accidentally read something wrong and now I'm editing this .
Again, my advice is virtual box because it's very easy to set up and of course it's open source.I'm not sure but I think the open source one doesn't have USB support but anyway it beats installing windows on your hard drive.

Ow and please let us know if you activated your iPad and if so how did you do it :))

Last edited:
OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Went to the Apple Store Saturday and got it activated. Was warned about my cable company email address though. Told me that for some reason they don't play nice with iPad when receiving emails. I can send out but not receive. They suggested that I get a Google email address and use that one if I want to be able to receive emails. Don't know if I'm going to worry about that part very much for right now.
Like what I'm seeing for now on it for apps. Went to the app store checking around at the various free apps. Will I have to do anything special to download the free apps from the App Sotre? Will it automatically download itself or will I need a connection to something? Won't need a charge card will I?

Okay if I keep this thread open? There are so many suggestions that keep coming in and who knows what stupid question I'll be asking next. :D

Again, thanks for all of the suggestions.

GB

Last edited:

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well...to download anything from the app store you will need a apple user I'd .you can create one from itunes or you can go at store.apple.com and create one there but you will have to add a credit card even if you're not planing on purchasing anything.
The one thing you should do with your iPad is jailbreak it right away :)))) most free apps from the app store are rubbish.
But to do this you would need a Mac or windows so if you want to just post here and I'll be more then happy to send you a link to a good windows xp iso file so you can download .

Sent from my Blackberry.....nahhh...just kidding !

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Stephen777
And you NEED to read all the previous posts :))))

Sent from my Blackberry.....nahhh...just kidding !

OP
G

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thia is an interesting link. Think that I've seen some others also out on Google. Looks like there are some ways to do things between the iPad and Linux distros. Hmmm, very interesting indeed on some of those. Also, how do you stop the browser from opening up to where you were the last time instead of a new screen? A pain in the ass to have to change each time I open it. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts