What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A charging Issue

Truffleshuffle03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About the first week I got my Ipad 2 two My cat chewed my charging cable. She has a habbit of chewing small cables for some reason. Anyway I went and bought a generic charging cable that was apple aproved and It has worked just find since I got it. The only draw back is its that it comes unplugged from the ipad often. I think I have used it for just under a year. Well this morning I was using it and every thing was fine I unplugged it for a bit and when I needed to charging it again I got the not charging thing poping up. I know that it means that its not getting enough power to charge something but I don;t know why all of a sudden its doing it. I even borrowed my mom's charging cord that came with her Ipad and its still doing the same thing. Its never been dropped or had any moisture poured on it or anything so Im not sure why all of a sudden its doing this. I don;t even use it that often usualy I will just watch a few movies on netflix or something and thats it. I know that when the screen is off it will charge but I would like to get it back to full charging power.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

Well, being a 'generic' charger, the statement that 'it comes uplugged from the iPad often' is a little concerning, i.e. does it fit the charging dock correctly like the original Apple version and has it possibly caused damage to your device? Not sure, but if your replaced charger worked before, you might want to plug it into your mother's iPad - if it seems to charge correctly, then your iPad may be the issue? Just a thought - if so, you likely will need to visit an Apple store and obtain some advice. Good luck!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What generic cable has Apple approved? AFAIK, Apple doesn't approve generic cables. It allows brand name makers to make cords because they meet Apple standards, and cords shouldn't come unplugged unless there's something wrong.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry you have problems my answer is simple buy the correct charger and cable. If you buy tires for your car do you put low grade tires on it and expect it to last ....no..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry you have problems my answer is simple buy the correct charger and cable. If you buy tires for your car do you put low grade tires on it and expect it to last ....no.

I agree with that.

I figure when you're dealing with anything electrical, cheap is not the main criteria. Even brand name chargers can turn into duds, but at least your chances are better, because if they cut corners they risk their business, brand name and any goodwill, as well as expose themselves to legal liability. And if their product sets my house on fire or ruins my devices, at least I have a shot at accountability. Good luck with that with a five dollar cable from eBay.

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The off brand cables are only going to give you mixed results. You'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for the Apple brand cables/chargers. I'm considering upgrading to the 12 watt charger and a longer cable myself.

OP
T

Truffleshuffle03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry you have problems my answer is simple buy the correct charger and cable. If you buy tires for your car do you put low grade tires on it and expect it to last ....no..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
There is one problme with your analogy. tires or anything for that matter just because something is name brand dosn;t mean its not just as good. Just because a tire is not a name brand dosen;t mean its low grade. Its the same kind of charger as the one that came with my ipad only its a diffren;t color and it has a longer cord It was made to fit Ipads and I phones. I did end up finding out the problme It was not the cord but the wall charger that actualy came with my Ipad that had the issue. NOt sure why it messed up but I was lucky and had a spare one.

OP
T

Truffleshuffle03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The off brand cables are only going to give you mixed results. You'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for the Apple brand cables/chargers. I'm considering upgrading to the 12 watt charger and a longer cable myself.
This cable has served me well for almost a year and I would defently buy another one just like it if given the chance. It was not the cable's doing as to why it was charging at its lowest charge setting I had a back up wall charger and tried it and it worked fine it was the charger that came with my Ipad that was the problme. I am a firm beliver that you are only paying for the name when you buy namebrand stuff and that as much as some people will disagree if the generic product is well made it works just as good as the name brand item.

OP
T

Truffleshuffle03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with that.

I figure when you're dealing with anything electrical, cheap is not the main criteria. Even brand name chargers can turn into duds, but at least your chances are better, because if they cut corners they risk their business, brand name and any goodwill, as well as expose themselves to legal liability. And if their product sets my house on fire or ruins my devices, at least I have a shot at accountability. Good luck with that with a five dollar cable from eBay.
I didn't buy it on ebay atleast not stuff like that. I buy them from electronic stores like best buy which I belive is where I bought this one. It came in a accsessery package deal with my ipad case with like a car charger too. it just was not a Apple name it was something like logitect but don;t belive it was logitech its been almost a year so don;t remember the name exsactly.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Truffles... - I don't think that the other posters (including myself) mean't to criticize your choice of a replacement adapter, but unfortunately a lot of these 'generic' Apple accesories just may not work as well (a check on Amazon comments is always enlightening in my experience).

But, referring back to your original issue, did you ever check to see if your replacement adapter worked on your Mom's iPad, a step that I suggested - your power docking station may be damaged and you need to resolve that possibility. Just trying to help - let us know your progress in figuring out the problem. Thanks - :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This cable has served me well for almost a year and I would defently buy another one just like it if given the chance. It was not the cable's doing as to why it was charging at its lowest charge setting I had a back up wall charger and tried it and it worked fine it was the charger that came with my Ipad that was the problme. I am a firm beliver that you are only paying for the name when you buy namebrand stuff and that as much as some people will disagree if the generic product is well made it works just as good as the name brand item.

I buy generic stuff, too, just not electrical generic stuff, because there's often no accountability for generic stuff. Like I'll buy a generic iPad case that costs six bucks, but if it fails, electricity isn't involved, lol.

With an Apple charger, you get quality control, and if that fails, you've got a company like Apple standing behind it. There's a difference, but that choice is up to each buyer, of course.

Teardown Shows Why the Apple iPhone Charger is $30

OP
T

Truffleshuffle03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Truffles... - I don't think that the other posters (including myself) mean't to criticize your choice of a replacement adapter, but unfortunately a lot of these 'generic' Apple accesories just may not work as well (a check on Amazon comments is always enlightening in my experience).

But, referring back to your original issue, did you ever check to see if your replacement adapter worked on your Mom's iPad, a step that I suggested - your power docking station may be damaged and you need to resolve that possibility. Just trying to help - let us know your progress in figuring out the problem. Thanks - :)
It was not the adaptor that I thought was the problme I thought my charging cable was the issue and the charging cable was the generic item. Both wall chargers I have are apple and yes after I borrowed her apple charging cord and noticed I still had a problme I tried both charging cords on hers and they worked. Thats when I got my other apple wall charging addapter out and tried it with my cables and found that the problme was my wall charger. For some reason it was not producing the power to charge my ipad like it should ,i t would only charge when the screen was off. Since I changed wall chargers it works fine. And yes having a company to go to like apple when you have a problme is nice but there is not alot you can do even with a name brand company when the limited warrenty is gone.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was not the adaptor I thought the problme was it was the charging cord. Both charging adapters I have are apple. Yes after I borrowed her apple charging cord and noticed I still had a problme I tried them On hers and they both worked. Thats when I got my other apple charging addapter out and tried it and found that the problme was my apple wall adapter. For some reason it was not producing the power to charge my ipad like it should it would only charge when the screen was off. I have it fixed now that I am using my other charging adapter.

Apple has consistently stood behind its chargers, so if yours is a dud, I'd suggest taking it to a store and getting a replacement when convenient. If not in store range, maybe give them a call.

OP
T

Truffleshuffle03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has consistently stood behind its chargers, so if yours is a dud, I'd suggest taking it to a store and getting a replacement when convenient. If not in store range, maybe give them a call.
The charger is over a year old I have never had a company unless the warrently is lifetime replaced something that old. But I will give it a shot When I make my next trip into the city although not going to hold my breath.

Most reactions

Latest posts