What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Generic charging cables

Lucierdman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i bought three generic charging cables and both my iPad Air and iPhone were able to be charged with them for many months. The cables are in good condition, no wear and tear anywhere.

Now I can only charge either device using the apple charging cables. I even bought a new generic cable and it would not work. Did Apple suddenly change something in the software of the OS to prevent me from using any cable other than the one that came with the device?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a chip in legitimate charging cables that lets the iOS device know that you're using a legitimate cable. Unauthorized third party cables won't have this chip and can be rejected by your device at any time. This process is designed by Apple to try to ensure that only properly compatible cables are used as some users of counterfeit cables have had their devices ruined and in a very few cases have been electrocuted.

Authorized third party cables have this authentication chip and should work lroperly every time.

OP
L

Lucierdman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks did not know this. Still puzzling is why it took my devices so many months to recognize the unauthorized cables and were able to be charged until a few weeks ago

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Other people have reported similar experiences, with the cables working fine for a while, then stopping.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks did not know this. Still puzzling is why it took my devices so many months to recognize the unauthorized cables and were able to be charged until a few weeks ago

Because the people who make the unauthorized cables figure out a way around Apple's authentication, then Apple updates the software to detect those cables, then the manufacturers figure out a way around that, then Apple updates the software, then . . .

I'm sure you get the idea. It's a very old game of cat and mouse that pops up every time there is some kind of security or proprietary technology, and there are profits to be made by bypassing it.

As usual, the choice is to save a bit of money, and be subject to the ups and downs of the game, or pay it bit more so you don't have to worry about who's winning this particular round.

And then there are the legal issues, which don't really apply to the consume in this case. Well, if you don't mind the 'very' small possibility that Apple decides that your use of an unauthorized cable is the cause of your iPad's latest malfunction, and voids your warrantee. And I do believe that's is a vanishing small risk, as it's just too much trouble for Apple to detect and enforce this kind of thing. At least on any large scale.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts