What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery or charger issues?

Dave VP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. Got my Ipad 2 probably at the end of 2011/beginning of 2012. Have never had a single problem with it. I usually use a RCA docking station to play music/charge my Ipad 2. It does not sit there all the time, it travels with me pretty much everywhere. All of the sudden 2 days ago I start getting a message on the Ipad 2 telling me it is not compatable with the RCA docking station. And as of this morning there are problems with it charging. Using the regular charger, it charged from about 35% to 75% in 4 hours (And that's with it on standby mode). It also appears not be be charging on the RCA docking station unless I push the bottom left part of the ipad forward a bit. Now I've never dropped the Ipad or anything (Been very lucky there with my clumsy hands) so I dont think I've damaged anything. Is it possible I've gotten a bad update or something. I know we got a new IOS not that long ago. The people at the AT&T store know nothing (Of course), so I am asking here before I start shelling out money to have it looked at. Any help would be hot. Could the connection port need cleaning or something? Or maybe the unit need defragged?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can try cleaning the ports...never a bad idea there.

I do occasionally get a message about something not being compatibile. I get it -- sometimes -- with the non-apple chargers I use...non-apple cables, and even with the Apple AV cable that I bought for my iPad 2 but now use on my iPad 3. It still works. In fact, all of them work. If I get the message with a charger...I look to see if it is charging or not. If not, I unplug it and plug it in again. Most almost all the time this works for me. Even the cheap $2 lightning cables I bought work -- if not at first, then upon an replugging. But if this message bothers you, or if whatever you're using doesn't do what it should do, then I suggest you go with the approved apple accessory...then if it doesn't work, you can take your gear to the apple store and let them worry about it. Obviously, they won't help you with non-Apple gear.

OP
D

Dave VP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Meh, it isnt so much the gear I am worried about. It's whether or not the ipad itself is damaged. Like I said, the charger has always worked fine. But the unit is charging slow now, and it also seems to be running down faster then it should too. I went from 68% charge to 66% charge within maybe 5 to 10 minutes reading something using the Kindle app on the Ipad2.

At this point the advice I would seek would be is this a IOS issue? Because that issue has existed in the past, or could something just be going bad with the Ipad already? The thing is barely over a year old, if that.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to welcome you, our newest member, to this gorgeous online community where iPad users alike come from all walks of life to converse and share their knowledge of the revolutionary piece of technology brought into existence by Apple known as the iPad. I invite and encourage you to look around and make some new posts, we could certainly use that! Make yourself at home!
We only ask that you kindly read over the forum rules and follow them during your membership at the forum. http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html
Also, for anyone using the iPF app for iPad (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8) and having issues with the Send button, read this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-4-forum/99986-ipf-app-send-button-greyed-out.html#post780659

It is with great pleasure and enthusiasm that we welcome our newest member to the forum.

Regards.

From the account of Goofy8275, user of iPadForums

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Meh, it isnt so much the gear I am worried about. It's whether or not the ipad itself is damaged. Like I said, the charger has always worked fine. But the unit is charging slow now, and it also seems to be running down faster then it should too. I went from 68% charge to 66% charge within maybe 5 to 10 minutes reading something using the Kindle app on the Ipad2.

At this point the advice I would seek would be is this a IOS issue? Because that issue has existed in the past, or could something just be going bad with the Ipad already? The thing is barely over a year old, if that.

Which version of iOS are you running? It could be an iOS issue, but I find 6.1 to work well from the stand point of battery life.

When you say regular charger, you do mean the once your iPad can with, right? Not an iPhone charger, but the iPad charger. These are different.

Also, have you let it run down until it turns off recently? Apple recommends doing this once a month or so to recalibrate the battery reading function.

Also, are you running any GPS apps or any kind of location service on your iPad? GPS can drain battery quickly and some location services would be seeking location information. Look in Settings, Privacy, Location Services to see what apps are using location services. Try turning it off for a spell to see if that makes a different. Some apps in there could be behaving badly.

Finally, take it to an Apple store and let them have a look at it. From what you have described, I see no reason to spend money on getting it looked at. The connector in the RCA dock could be damaged....and cleaning the ports can't hurt.

OP
D

Dave VP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the latest version. 6.1 sounds right. Seems like it just uploaded last week. And yeah, it's a Ipad charger. Never owned a Iphone. I've had the battery as low as 5%. This morning, I've never let the battery run all the way out. Cleaning the port sound interesting. Tell me more! :)Also, I'm, sure I have a ton of GPS stuff going. Considering every time I google something from Safari it asks me if I want Safari to use my location. So I'll put a stop to all that crap right away.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dave VP said:
I'm using the latest version. 6.1 sounds right. Seems like it just uploaded last week. And yeah, it's a Ipad charger. Never owned a Iphone. I've had the battery as low as 5%. This morning, I've never let the battery run all the way out. Cleaning the port sound interesting. Tell me more! :)Also, I'm, sure I have a ton of GPS stuff going. Considering every time I google something from Safari it asks me if I want Safari to use my location. So I'll put a stop to all that crap right away.

Definitely turn off things you aren't using. Or, if you are using them then unfortunately some of them are battery hogs. Location services, Bluetooth, and high brightness will kill the battery much faster than any apps ever could. Battery life is affected by lots of little things that add up. Using a two minute screen shut off setting helps too. Hope ya can get it sorted.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

On the port thing...I would do a visual inspection of the port on your iPad, your dock, and your charging/sync cable. Make sure you don't see lots of foreign matter in there, like dust, etc. Give them a once your with your fingers and a microfiber cloth. Blow out any dust....and look for damage. Not a whole lot you can do, really, but try to rule out the obvious. And you mentioned you have to tilt the iPad forward to get charging going. Could be an indication of something wrong with the electrical connections inside the dock.

You never know...could be the iPad...could be the dock...could be the connectors....get more data. Can you get it fully charged? And how long does it take to get it drained. Going by how long it takes to lose 2 % points of charge reading is not good enough. Batteries don't always behave in a linear fashion. And brightness matters too, as the other poster says. I've seen iOS do weird things with brightness...magically get it turned up to near max, for example. Check it. I keep my location services on....because I like what they do for me...but depending on the apps you have on there, something could be acting up. Bascially, I would not rush to spend money on this because if the problem is an app, it will be hard to location without trial and error...and you are the best one to do that.

OP
D

Dave VP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I havent let the thing run fully down. Actually, just the opposite. I've kept it fully charged. But tomorrow I'll do that. Also, I've turned off the location services. I had it running for most stuff. Question, does the location service run if your not using the app? Seems like it wouldnt. But ya never know. Ipads aren't computers. Well, they sorta are, but they sorta aren't too. I actually haven't used it that much today. But maybe tomorrow I will. Busy with work and all that junk. Darn work getting in the way of my Ipad time! Just not right ya know!

Most reactions