What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZooGue Case Review

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it would get pretty nasty quick, if it had one. Glad it doesn't.

JOx3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am wondering if the iPad would fit into this case if it already has a Hard Candy Sleek Skin on it? Maybe that would provide a little more protection for the corners?

I haven't purchased a case yet. I am trying to do my "homework" and purchase the right case the first time. I don't really want to end up buying several cases.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd have to know how much that adds to the iPad's girth. Most likely, I would guess not, or at the very least you would really have to shove it in there.

muleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say that this case is just the cherry on top!!!!!!!! It just brings out the best of the iPad and makes it so much more enjoyable!!!!!!!!!!excellent job!!!!!!!:)

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got mine today, no disappointments, very good quality, nice looking, good feel and YES,,, the adjustable rest stop is awesome. I did try the head rest strap and it's going to work just fine on our Oregon trip this week.

If I were in control of making any changes to this ZooGue case, it would be to raise the selling price. I'm serious, this is well worth the $49. :p

There is not much more I can say, Matt did a lot of justice to his review, everything he said is dead on..

Last edited:

RichardK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those who have received your ZooGue case, is your case top (the part that folds and is used as the base when using it as a stand) warped? Mine seems to be. It curves up on the edges, just wondering if this is intended?

bookemdano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those who have received your ZooGue case, is your case top (the part that folds and is used as the base when using it as a stand) warped? Mine seems to be. It curves up on the edges, just wondering if this is intended?

Richard, I got mine yesterday and I have noticed the same exact thing. I knew it wasn't bent when I first got it but it has become that way after only a couple hours of use. And I've figured out why it happens (at least for me).

I got this case to be sort of an everyday case--not strictly just for the kickstand feature. In fact, most of the time, the way I use the iPad is holding it in my hand in portrait mode.

So when doing that with the ZooGue case on, that necessitates folding the front cover back so it's laying against the back cover. But if you do that, notice that the straps do not lie flush with the back cover, despite there being an indentation for them. So when you fold the front cover back, it sits on top of the strap. Then when you grip the right edge of the case to hold onto it, you are bending the front cover down in that one area.

It's really hard to explain this, so hopefully you see what I'm getting at. Like I said, maybe yours is warped for a different reason, but for me that is definitely why. Time will tell if it is going to get any worse or not--it's not too bad at this point. The straps are really of little value to me personally so I guess I could always just cut them off.

Tim I would humbly suggest that is something you should look at addressing in a future revision of your product. Maybe take a poll on how many people really would use the straps and consider dropping them unless the poll shows that they are highly desireable.

papa

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Richard, I got mine yesterday and I have noticed the same exact thing. I knew it wasn't bent when I first got it but it has become that way after only a couple hours of use. And I've figured out why it happens (at least for me).

I got this case to be sort of an everyday case--not strictly just for the kickstand feature. In fact, most of the time, the way I use the iPad is holding it in my hand in portrait mode.

So when doing that with the ZooGue case on, that necessitates folding the front cover back so it's laying against the back cover. But if you do that, notice that the straps do not lie flush with the back cover, despite there being an indentation for them. So when you fold the front cover back, it sits on top of the strap. Then when you grip the right edge of the case to hold onto it, you are bending the front cover down in that one area.

It's really hard to explain this, so hopefully you see what I'm getting at. Like I said, maybe yours is warped for a different reason, but for me that is definitely why. Time will tell if it is going to get any worse or not--it's not too bad at this point. The straps are really of little value to me personally so I guess I could always just cut them off.

Tim I would humbly suggest that is something you should look at addressing in a future revision of your product. Maybe take a poll on how many people really would use the straps and consider dropping them unless the poll shows that they are highly desireable.

Dont you need the straps to hold the cover closed when carrying it? Or is there something else that does that?

bookemdano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dont you need the straps to hold the cover closed when carrying it? Or is there something else that does that?

Well I'm not sure about how others carry it but I don't need a strap to keep it closed since the iPad is pretty much immobile inside the case (snug fit plus strap on the top that secures it). I suppose if it were dropped or something the cover could open up and the ipad could land on the screen, but to me that's not a big deal (of course, ask me again once I've dropped it!).

However, if one did want a strap to keep the case closed it could be designed to be a lot smaller and thinner so as to not interfere with the ability to fold the front of the case flat against the back (something I'm guessing most iPad users will do quite a bit?). I think the straps as they are now were designed primarily for strapping to a car seat headrest--something I'd guess is a boon to those with kids who take long car trips but probably one of the lesser-used features for the rest of us.

In short, I wouldn't call this a deal-breaker at all. It's just a quirk of this particular case (and all cases have quirks). I mainly meant it as a suggestion for a v2 of the ZooGue case.

Edit: Duh, I guess the "workaround" for this is to open up the strap, fold the front cover back, and then re-do the strap on top. A little bit of a nuisance but not a big deal. The back is still not completely flat, as the front cover then sits on top of the kickstand, which is slightly higher than the back cover itself. but it is further back from the right edge and not quite as raised up as the strap is. I'll try it like this for a couple days and report back.

Last edited:

papa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, don't mind me.. I just thought the straps were the way to secure the top. (I had read somewhere that the apple case has a problem with closing the flap)

I really have no clue since I do not have one.

I have two kids, and honestly, I dont see us using those straps for the car seat thing. They would probably jsut hold it in their laps and pass it around, as they would just argue over which seat it was strapped too.

I dont see the straps to the seat thing as a big selling point. I just thought they might be useful to secure the flap when the case is closed.

But again, all I know about the case is whats in this thread so take my questions with a grain of salt..

papa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The straps to secure it to the seat is not a selling point for me, they could cut them off for all I care, unless they are needed to secure the flap.

Reasons I am interested in this case is:

1) its leather without white stitching, sturdier then the apple case
2) supposedly solid built and apple case is flimsy
3) I am told the stand feature of these cases is useful and important
(this one seems to excel at the kickstand feature)
4)the price is right, just $10 more then the apple case
5) no magnets, that I am told can interfer with GPS (I have 3g)
6) I hope it protects it somewhat from my kids, it covers the entire pad

bookemdano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The straps to secure it to the seat is not a selling point for me, they could cut them off for all I care, unless they are needed to secure the flap.

Reasons I am interested in this case is:

1) its leather without white stitching, sturdier then the apple case
2) supposedly solid built and apple case is flimsy
3) I am told the stand feature of these cases is useful and important
(this one seems to excel at the kickstand feature)
4)the price is right, just $10 more then the apple case
5) no magnets, that I am told can interfer with GPS (I have 3g)
6) I hope it protects it somewhat from my kids, it covers the entire pad

I am with you on every single reason you listed (except #6 as I don't have kids yet). I too can't stand the look of leather with contrasting stitches. I also have a 3G and didn't want any magnets so that is another good thing about this case, and the stand feature is very versatile and sturdy. It's a good case, definitely one for people who prefer function over form. I think if there is a v2 it could be even better if Tim takes some input from the early adopters.

Most reactions

Latest posts