What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZaggFolio for iPad 3

Mishxoxo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update. I made another Mod in addition to the Magnet Fix. I was reading up on other iPad 2 Cases being used on the iPad 3 and some people reported back that on some cases, it would mar the aluminum a bit. While this was not happening to me, the fit was just snug enough to make a bit nervous that over time it could. So, I gently peeled back the felt over the foam back and removed all but a 1.5" x 1.5" strip of foam in the center. I cut this strip with a knife on either side and then removed about 2.5" on each side. I left the center strip to give just a bit of resistance. The adhesive was very sticky so the felt laid back down and stuck as well as it was when I pulled it up. I slid the iPad 3 back in place and it went in very easily, as the stress on the edges was relieved. I am now very happy with it.

I really believe that Zagg has probably only removed the foam under the felt and changed the magnet configuration in the ZAGGpholio for the iPad 3. This is why the specs have not changed on the outer dimensions they show on their site.

You should definitely make a how-to video on all the modifications you've made for the iPad 2 zaggfolio.

sfc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my Zaggfolio for the new iPad. It's the blue cover with the silver keyboard. The one I received from Best Buy (which I modified to fit the iPad 3) included the folio and keyboard together in one package. The "made for the new iPad" folio I received directly from Zagg came with the folio and keyboard in separate packages.

Anyway, a rep from Zagg sent me this little tip:

One way to confirm you have received the correct version of the ZAGGfolio is to look in the upper corner on the inside of the case (next to where the camera hole is for the device) you will find a small "2". This is the version for the new iPad.

So, they are putting a "2" inside the folio for the new iPad. Why not a "3"?

In any case, I'm not opening the new folio to see if it fits. The one I got from Best Buy works fine with modifications. I will sell the blue one on eBay.

fdkatz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I question this way to confirm you have the correct version. Mine has a 2, but the magnets needed to be flipped to work. Curious.

I have my Zaggfolio for the new iPad. It's the blue cover with the silver keyboard. The one I received from Best Buy (which I modified to fit the iPad 3) included the folio and keyboard together in one package. The "made for the new iPad" folio I received directly from Zagg came with the folio and keyboard in separate packages.

Anyway, a rep from Zagg sent me this little tip:

One way to confirm you have received the correct version of the ZAGGfolio is to look in the upper corner on the inside of the case (next to where the camera hole is for the device) you will find a small "2". This is the version for the new iPad.

So, they are putting a "2" inside the folio for the new iPad. Why not a "3"?

In any case, I'm not opening the new folio to see if it fits. The one I got from Best Buy works fine with modifications. I will sell the blue one on eBay.

sjw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the purple Zaggfolio for my new iPad 3 on the 26th

I also got the HD shield and back skin. You can imagine how tight my iPad is in this case with all that extra protection. My box also said iPad 2 with a sticker saying iPad 3 and 2 inside of case. I was not happy about how tight it was to get the iPad in & almost impossible to get back out. Their online video shows it sliding in & out easily with one hand. I was even more unhappy about the fact that after only being closed for less then an hour with my iPad in it, I had deep indentations and marks in my newly installed HD screen sheild from the keyboard being so tight against my iPad.
I decided to email ZAGG Wed before coming to this forum and let them know I felt this was an iPad 2 case and they should not say it's compatiable with the iPad 3 when it is not. I didn't even realize until later after coming to this forum last night and reading everyone else was having magnet problems...that my magnets were not working either to shut off my iPad 3. This is my response I got back from ZAGG this morning:

Thank you for contacting us about your recent purchase. Our CEO, Robert G. Pedersen II, has read your email and asked me to respond on his behalf. I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the fit of your ZAGGfolio. It sounds like this could be quite frustrating for you, and I apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment you've experienced.

The fit of the New iPad in the ZAGGfolio is definitely going to be fairly tight with an invisibleSHIELD and ZAGGskin installed. However, it shouldn't be so tight that it's causing excessive pressure to be put on your invisibleSHIELD/screen of your New iPad. It's possible that there is a problem with the folio that you received, and so I'm going to go ahead and arrange to have a new one sent out to you, free of charge. This should ship out to you between April 5th and April 12th at the latest. Once your re-fulfillment ships it will be delivered via USPS 1st Class Mail (3-7 days not including Sundays or holidays). Again, this shipment is all at no cost to you, and I'm confident that it will be a better fit for your New iPad.
I hope this helps, and I apologize again for the problems with your original purchase. If you have any other questions or concerns, or if there's anything else that I can do to assist you, please feel free to contact me directly.
Thank you again for your email and thank you for choosing ZAGG; we appreciate your business.

I'm just wondering if they really did send me an ipad 3 case, then why do they think sending me another one is going to help with the fit unless they knew they sent me an ipad 2 case and now know they will be soon getting in a new shipment of real iPad 3 cases. Either way, I'm happy they are going to take care of it and just hope the replacement fits better and the magnets work for the iPad 3. I did email her back and let her know about the magnets not working also. I have not gotten a reply back yet.

sjw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wanted to add that I also have an ipad 2, and this case fits it perfectly and the magnets also work fine on my it. ZAGG's replacement email to me didn't mention anything about my having to send the case I have now back when my replacement arrives, so maybe I can keep this case for my husbands iPad 2.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Finally Shipping

We ordered 2 cases on 03/08 and they finally shipped today! We have an estimated delivery on 04/04 - 04/08 which seems kinda slow to me. The wife is getting the purple and I'm getting the carbon!

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The bottom line is you got a 2. I am not aware of anyone that has one that was actually designed for a 3, although they say they're sending them out. Did they ask you for your credit card when they took your order to send you the replacement? Most likely there will be instructions on how to send it back.

I am disappointed in the misrepresentations that Zagg is getting out. However it doesn't surprise me, I've dealt with this kind of thing with manufactures for many years.

Last edited:

jmanaois

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my New Ipad a week ago and waited to get a new case with bluetooth keyboard. I was looking at the Zagg folio and saw the threads and felt I needed to wait until Zagg got the case for the 3 right. I went to Toys r Us today to look for some stuff for my kids and low and behold. The Zagg folio for Ipad2 in the carbon fiber trim was on sale for only $50 bucks. I couldn't find it cheaper than $80 online so despite the trepidation and since the keyboard got good reviews I got it. Guess what? This folio says it's only for the 2 (no 3 sticker) but it fits (don't have a shield on right now). Its magnet is located correctly and I'm able to get auto off. And even despite the reviews saying the lock doesn't work all the time, I'm finding it works perfectly! The keyboard is great and I'm really glad I stepped into the Toys r Us today!

paulvalerio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine finally shipped today also, I ordered the blue one with the white keyboard. Delivery estimate date is 04/02 because Zagg upgraded my shipping to 2nd day air! Hope it gets here and is better then what I have been reading on this thread!

Sent from my iPad 16GB White

Atl7187

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my New Ipad a week ago and waited to get a new case with bluetooth keyboard. I was looking at the Zagg folio and saw the threads and felt I needed to wait until Zagg got the case for the 3 right. I went to Toys r Us today to look for some stuff for my kids and low and behold. The Zagg folio for Ipad2 in the carbon fiber trim was on sale for only $50 bucks. I couldn't find it cheaper than $80 online so despite the trepidation and since the keyboard got good reviews I got it. Guess what? This folio says it's only for the 2 (no 3 sticker) but it fits (don't have a shield on right now). Its magnet is located correctly and I'm able to get auto off. And even despite the reviews saying the lock doesn't work all the time, I'm finding it works perfectly! The keyboard is great and I'm really glad I stepped into the Toys r Us today!
If you saw this video, you would have known that it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-mjXInMnUE

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed with the shipping! It shipped from Utah late Thursday night and arrived this morning Priority mail.my estimated delivery date was 04/04 - 04/08! I'll take it!

I opened the box and thought I was short a keyboard since there were 3 boxes instead of 4 and they ship the keyboards separately. But to my surprise my carbon case had the keyboard already in the one box. My wife's purple case came in two boxes.

I'm charging the keyboards right now but even though the box doesn't mention iPad 3 anywhere on it I have no issue with the fit. The auto on and off doesn't work and my screen protector is taking a beating.

More later.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is your screen protector taking a beating? You will have to reverse the magnets in the ZAGG to get the unlock to work.

Sounds like you got a 2 version.

paulvalerio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickeylittle said:
Wow, I'm impressed with the shipping! It shipped from Utah late Thursday night and arrived this morning Priority mail.my estimated delivery date was 04/04 - 04/08! I'll take it!

I opened the box and thought I was short a keyboard since there were 3 boxes instead of 4 and they ship the keyboards separately. But to my surprise my carbon case had the keyboard already in the one box. My wife's purple case came in two boxes.

I'm charging the keyboards right now but even though the box doesn't mention iPad 3 anywhere on it I have no issue with the fit. The auto on and off doesn't work and my screen protector is taking a beating.

More later.

I'm not impressed, my shipping is 2nd day air and it left Salt Lake City late Thursday night as well and barely arrived in Louisville Ky at 5:38 this morning, what the heck!?!? Did they drive it there!?!?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions