What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zagg Mate Idea, Issues

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the width to height is wrong. Tall enough to snag things, but not wide enough to get enough adhesive on to the ZAGGmate. That is an easy fix.

The problem with bolting them on is it really changes the look in a way I think we are unwilling to go.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
The problem with bolting them on is it really changes the look in a way I think we are unwilling to go.

I am sure this would require major reengineering, but maybe drill holes in the four corners of the case and factory install button-type feet in them. With the milky silicone you might not even notice that there are holes under the feet.

I haven't been using the feet and haven't gotten around to installing my skin yet so today scratched up the bottom of the keyboard on the table at an Apple workshop. Any suggestions on how to make those scratches less visible before I put the skin on. I had thought about taking the Dremel to it with a buffing wheel but that will buff out the sand finish and make matters worse.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
I think the width to height is wrong. Tall enough to snag things, but not wide enough to get enough adhesive on to the ZAGGmate. That is an easy fix.

In my case, I didn't have any issues with snags - but the adhesive never seems to fully dry, allowing the feet to literally slide around. I have a feeling a different adhesive is the solution. I'll let you know after I try some super glue! I like the size and color of the feet that came with it - since they are "clear", you don't even notice them. If I can just get them to "stick" properly, I'll be happy!

Again, I'll report back in a day or two with my "super glue" results. But really, I shouldn't have to super glue my $100 keyboard together after such a short time!

Thanks for your help!

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll experiment with different adhesives and report back. In the meantime, I'd recommend against super glue.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
I'll experiment with different adhesives and report back. In the meantime, I'd recommend against super glue.

ANy particular reason why you recommend against super glue? I REALLY do want the feet to be permanent - but if it's going to melt the case or something, I'll stay away...

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
2. The small rubber sticky feet that came with the keyboard to minimize scratching of furniture and to keep the keyboard from sliding around, are inadequate. I put them on when I pulled the unit out of the box, and they are all missing now (two weeks later). A better design would be to put some silicone strips or rubber feet that were screwed in from the inside of the case so they won't fall off.
Oops! I thought those little sticky feet went inside between the iPad and the keyboard, on the edge of the keyboard to prevent scratching of the screen by the keyboard! I guess I did read close enough!

I also agreed with the majority of the comments from the OP, although I don't particularly want a cable from the iPad to the Mate to drive speakers... And isn't that space actually a battery area anyway?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
slothead said:
I also agreed with the majority of the comments from the OP, although I don't particularly want a cable from the iPad to the Mate to drive speakers... And isn't that space actually a battery area anyway?

Actually, I would hope that the speakers ran via bluetooth, since you already need bluetooth enabled for the keyboard anyway... I agree that a cable would not be a good solution.

Siouxzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg/mate suggestions

Ok so after my first foray into the great Zagg/mate and iPod sync issue I had finally gone back to Best Buy to exchange it. Come to find out it was a faulty product that had apparently been recirculated to the sales floor in error.

I now have the new keyboard/case combo and it is soooooo much easier to add lines of text to my study documents. I downloaded "Quiz Lizard" which allows you to create your own pop quiz-vocabulary lists. Yay.

There is one suggestion that I have from this end... the keyboard seems as if the space bar does not register unless you hit it with some force. I come up with words and whole lines even that do not have spaces in there which cause me to have to constantly edit the document.

Beyond that - the aesthetic quality of the steel since it matches the iPod perfectly is simply wonderful. It does show fingerprints but I'll try to clean those off with regularity.

What an amazing addition to the iPad. Oh I'm in gadget heaven.

Siouxzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photographer? Have you been able to run your camera using the iPad? I know the Canon is set up to allow me to use my laptop to do that but does the Pad have any compatible downloads or functions that I am not aware of yet??

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Photographer? Have you been able to run your camera using the iPad? I know the Canon is set up to allow me to use my laptop to do that but does the Pad have any compatible downloads or functions that I am not aware of yet??
I use onOne software (I forget the exact product). I tie my Nikon to the laptop and then connect with either my iPod Touch (or previously with my iPhone) to see what the laptop sees and control the camera from there remotely. It works pretty good unless you are so remote for such a long time that you can't keep the laptop powered. I've not tried this with the iPad alone (or the Touch alone for that matter) because I think there is a connector issue.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me start by saying, I'm glad you are loving your ZAGGmate. I want to add, I'm sorry for the defective power switch on your device. From the description you gave, it sounds like your power switch broke. You may exchange it at Best Buy or go through our customer service department. Please choose the more convenient method for you. If you aren't making a trip to Best Buy soon, our customer service department may be more convenient.

I'm guessing your ZAGGmate probably had some charge left before you charged it and still has one now, but the switch on the motherboard is broken in the off position. You would have seen the flashing light shoJwing you it was low long before it was dead. Regarding the design and the durability of the power switch, we have improved it significantly and I agree with your suggestions. I personally don't even turn mine on and off. The sleep mode works great. Think about your wireless keyboard at work or at home. You don't have to turn them on and off and they last forever.

As we introduce new models, we evaluate comments like yours and will be responsive to them when appropriate. I was going to respond to each of your comments specifically, but as I thought about it, I realized I would be unable to do so without giving away the design of our next model. Please forgive me for not elaborating. We must keep some mystery in the design process. I think it is safe to say, I agree with just about all your comments. I can't promise anything until it's on the shelf, but I can say we at ZAGG won't stop innovating until our product is perfect. We are Zealous About Great Gadgets and we are constantly trying to improve the experience of our amazing customers. Thanks again.

Can you give us an idea of when the new model will come out? If you can't reveal that info that's ok. I just want to know because if it comes out within a month then I will wait for the new model.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
What are the chances that we current Zaggmate owners will get a real special deal on the new model (maybe even an exchange with a slight upcharge for the new one)?

By the way - do others feel that the charge port cutout is on the wrong side of the Zaggmate? Being right handed, I almost always keep my HOME button on the right, but the cutout is on the left relative to the keyboard so when I open it I always have to turn it around - not really a big deal, but every little time delay makes the whole design look more "cumbersome."

phins2left

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the foot suggestion

Hopefully Zagg is still reading this thread...

I had to design feet for a different, unrelated product very similar to the Zaggmate feet. Tried several adhesives that didn't work so well and discovered that part of the problem was the makeup of the rubber feet (there was some mild catalytic reaction or somesuch between the CA based glues and the feet). Once I found a combination that worked (with the help of the foot supplier) and installed a slightly larger diameter foot with a wider taper all was golden.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Hopefully Zagg is still reading this thread...

I had to design feet for a different, unrelated product very similar to the Zaggmate feet. Tried several adhesives that didn't work so well and discovered that part of the problem was the makeup of the rubber feet (there was some mild catalytic reaction or somesuch between the CA based glues and the feet). Once I found a combination that worked (with the help of the foot supplier) and installed a slightly larger diameter foot with a wider taper all was golden.
Well Jimmy (fins2left, fins 2 right), could you tell us exactly what you used/did for new feet and a compatible adhesive? Thanks,

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What are the chances that we current Zaggmate owners will get a real special deal on the new model (maybe even an exchange with a slight upcharge for the new one)?

By the way - do others feel that the charge port cutout is on the wrong side of the Zaggmate? Being right handed, I almost always keep my HOME button on the right, but the cutout is on the left relative to the keyboard so when I open it I always have to turn it around - not really a big deal, but every little time delay makes the whole design look more "cumbersome."

Two things: 1. I'm LEFT handed, so the cut-out is on the correct side for me. 2. I dropped the darn thing the other day on the back left-hand corner. It bounced and came down the second down on the front right-hand corner (gouges to prove it). The back left corner is also slightly in-dented, but hasn't affected the fit of the iPad.

KUDOs to ZaggMate for a sturdy bit of kit.

Rich Galen

Most reactions

Latest posts