What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow "Other" bar in iTunes

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Before upgrading yesterday to 4.3 , I had never really noticed the yellow "Other" bar in capacity in iTunes.
After the upgrade it was 6.6 and took a lot of space.I then did a sync and it went down to 3.5
Can anyone tell me what "Other" is and why such a change after the upgrade ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just guessing, but it is probably catch and temporary folders. The update would have loaded into a temp folder to unpack and install. iTunes probably removed it durning the next sync, since it was no longer needed.

OP
Yptcn

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess so but isn't 3.5 still a lot ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GB or MB? My Other is running at .049 GB (490 MB).

You can clear your catch, history and cookies by going to Settings >> Safari. I don't know how much good it would do you. It only dropped my Other reading by .002 GB.

I suppose there may be an app you are using that has a ton of cached or temporary files. Hard to tell. And it's only a theory, so something else may be going on.

OP
Yptcn

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GB or MB? My Other is running at .049 GB (490 MB).

You can clear your catch, history and cookies by going to Settings >> Safari. I don't know how much good it would do you. It only dropped my Other reading by .002 GB.

I suppose there may be an app you are using that has a ton of cached or temporary files. Hard to tell. And it's only a theory, so something else may be going on.

3.5 GB . I cleared the caches but it doesn't change anything...

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I asked about this the last time I was at the Genius Bar restoring my iPad and they said it was administrative overhead like the temporary folders and I didn't need to worry that it's size fluctuates. I don't know the numbers but it is a tiny stripe compared to everything else. I imagine it would be even smaller if I closed a few more programs in the status bar or whatever that thing is called that comes up when you double-click the Home button

OP
Yptcn

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope this will help all the others who are wondering about this issue :)

I just restored completely my iPad , the 3.5GB really bugged me....sooo after re-syncing it , the "Other" bar dropped to 0,31GB !!!! YAY .

I still have no idea what was in it but it did the trick :D

iPAD4ME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also got a scare after updating to 4.3 last week, I had a whopping 7GB of yellow 'other'!!
So followed advice here ie cleared multitask bar and safari history, cookies and cache. Then resynced, nothing else, and now have 1.90GB of Yellow 'other' ..........phew!!

OP
Yptcn

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What do you mean by "clear multitask bar" ? If it's the thing kc2ped talked about , I always close the apps I don't use and had cleared the cache,cookies and history but that hadn't helped me...Odd !

Last edited:

iPAD4ME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you mean by "clear multitask bar" ? If it's the thing kc2ped talked about , I always close the apps I don't use and had cleared the cache,cookies and history but that hadn't helped me...Odd !

Yes, double click home button and the icons on the bottom that pop up, you seem to be doing the same as I did.

OP
Yptcn

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Absolutely , but even after that I had 3.5 GB , it only went down to 0,31GB after restoration.

OP
Yptcn

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try restoring next time it gets out of hand ;)

jc67989

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup... Restoring worked for me, too. Back up your iPad first, either to desktop or iCloud, then restore it. My yellow bar dropped from about 3.7 GB to .45 GB, which is more like it...

Most reactions