What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Backup Date Won't Change

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After having performed backups manually on both the iPad 2 and my iPhone 4 in the latest version of iTunes, I see that the date of "Last backed up to this computer: 10/5/2011 4:33 PM" remains. I have done this backup procedure many times since then and that date never changes. The backup procedure does seem to run, with indication of programs, etc., being recorded (looking at the progress bar at the top), but that date is disconcerting.

Additionally, when in iTunes, I click the "Restore Backup" button, I am given the choice of two backups, one not dated, and the other with a date in January 2012, which is still not right considering I just made one a few minutes ago.

Anyone have an idea of what gives on this? Thanks

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In iTunes choose Preferences in the iTunes menu, then go to the devices tab. You should see all the backups iTunes has stored, with dates. If the date is also wrong there, you can try deleting that backup and creating a new one from scratch.

Hold in mind that most backups are incremental (just the changes) so deleting the backup and staring a new one should only be done when you have some time to spare. The more stuff you have on your iPad, the more time. It can take hours if you have tones of stuff; so make sure you computer isn't going to go to sleep in the process as well. That's been known to corrupt the backup file.

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"The voice of Dayton" - Thanks! I didn't think about the incremental thing. The last December's backup that IS in the list should be close enough. (In case you don't remember, I'm from Yakima and been through your town dozens of times.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome. And now that you reminded me, I do remember us having a quick conversation about your passing through Dayton now and then. :)

Most reactions