What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you let your coworkers borrow your brand new iPad 2 to "play"?

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they are going to sit at my desk in front of me and check it out that's one thing, I'm not going to let them walk off with it for a while. To me it's more than just a toy and I spent $700 on the dang thing so I am careful with it. If someone were to accidentally drop it and crack the screen things could get very awkward.

Lenc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
If they are going to sit at my desk in front of me and check it out that's one thing, I'm not going to let them walk off with it for a while. To me it's more than just a toy and I spent $700 on the dang thing so I am careful with it. If someone were to accidentally drop it and crack the screen things could get very awkward.

I would never even ask anyone at work to use their iPad and then walk away with it to surf the net.

Goober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with all. This is a new situation for many but I'll equate it with rubbing a pregnant lady's belly without asking. If it isn't yours...don't touch. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goober said:
I agree with all. This is a new situation for many but I'll equate it with rubbing a pregnant lady's belly without asking. If it isn't yours...don't touch. :)

So are we saying it's ok if she isn't pregnant? I'll give it a go and report back.......

The Archangel

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HTMLEgg said:
So yesterday, a coworker approached me and asked if she could borrow my iPad to surf the web. This was during lunch. I'm guessing she's interested in checking Facebook and other social sites but didn't want to use her office computer.

Before I started this thread and heard feedback from you all, I probably would have reluctantly lent it to her. So yesterday, I told her "Sorry, I've decided to not let people borrow my iPads from from now on". She looked really surprised, at first even assumed I was joking around. Then she walked away laughing, making fun of me for hoarding my toys. Lol. Oh well. So first try was a success!!

You did the right thing!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good for you! The iPad is personal to all of us and not for general use. Gab do not go round rubbing ladies tummies, you might get more than you bargained for!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Good for you! The iPad is personal to all of us and not for general use. Gab do not go round rubbing ladies tummies, you might get more than you bargained for!

It's ok, I was released with just a caution this time.

The Archangel

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hell no! Just as long as you're not a tool about it (telling them to bugger off for example), I don't think you're being inappropriate by turning them down. In fact, they're probably being inappropriate for asking for a private electronic device.

I also lock my sensitive apps with Locktopus, so if I leave it unattended, no one can access them without my knowledge.

And no, I'm not worried about someone walking away with it while I'm not seated at my desk. I would literally lock down the entire floor ;)

Bikie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I let my colleague sitting next to me to play with the GarageBand app, he was hitting the iPad so hard that had to told him to stop, I was well annoyed.

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HTMLEgg said:
I'm sure a lot of people are like me, we store sensitive information on our mobile devices.

But my coworkers like to come to me and ask "May I borrow your iPad for a while to play?" It's very frustrating. I feel weird not lend it to them, but who knows what they will do to it. And what if they spill water on it.. aarrghh this one crazy person loves to eat and drink while browsing on my iPad. My heart is always hanging whenever he does that.

So what are your thoughts? If you are thinking "No", what's a polite way to turn them down?

Hell no!

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read this today in my Bible reading. I was like awww :(. Lol stupid auto correct.

Give to those who ask, and don’t turn away from those who want to borrow. (Matthew 5:42 NLT)

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Read this on a theology website recently, "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's iPad"

...was doing some research for an application under design and laughed out loud after reading this one.

-t

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people are like me, we store sensitive information on our mobile devices.

But my coworkers like to come to me and ask "May I borrow your iPad for a while to play?" It's very frustrating. I feel weird not lend it to them, but who knows what they will do to it. And what if they spill water on it.. aarrghh this one crazy person loves to eat and drink while browsing on my iPad. My heart is always hanging whenever he does that.

So what are your thoughts? If you are thinking "No", what's a polite way to turn them down?

Borrow it for a while to play? No. I would show them features, and maybe let them do a brief test drive in my presence. But to take it away to their own desk, nope. And I would never, ever, ever let someone use it while they were eating and drinking. Not a client. Not a boss. Not a friend.

I guess if pushed by someone who wanted to use it, especially a boss or other important person, I might tell a fib and say that it is configured to be used by me and a spouse or other family member and that I could not lend it because the family member's personal info might be revealed without their consent.

Most reactions

Latest posts